Hurley's first 3 seasons | The Boneyard

Hurley's first 3 seasons

Reaction Score
I'm a diehard URI fan, but I will always follow Hurley to whatever team he goes to. A fan on our message board posted this comment about Dan.... "I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity to win the BE tourney. Lost to a reeling Creighton team in semis who then got embarrassed by a decent G-town team...Just the facts."

I think if Bouk stayed healthy, you would have won a game or two in the tournament. Unfortunately, he didn't look the same when he came back. I expect you to be a sweet 16 team this year, and with the way Dan is recruiting the potential to go even deeper the next few seasons..

I would love to hear what you think about his first three years and if you're happy with where the program is right now?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm a diehard URI fan, but I will always follow Hurley to whatever team he goes to. A fan on our message board posted this comment about Dan.... "I am a Hurley fan...but he hasn't done much at UConn in 3 years now. No tourney wins, and they only danced last year because the Big East was way down. And they missed a golden opportunity to win the BE tourney. Lost to a reeling Creighton team in semis who then got embarrassed by a decent G-town team...Just the facts."

I think if Bouk stayed healthy, you would have won a game or two in the tournament. Unfortunately, he didn't look the same when he came back. I expect you to be a sweet 16 team this year, and with the way Dan is recruiting the potential to go even deeper the next few seasons..

I would love to hear what you think about his first three years and if you're happy with where the program is right now?

Tell that fan on your MB to take a gander at our 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes. Then let us know if he has any more questions.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of ways to spin it and we probably should have had a better record in each of his first 3 seasons.
He has clearly improved the culture and the talent level. There is no question about that.
During the season, especially during losing streaks, he makes some comments in the media that are annoying and silly but I those come after tough losses and he obviously hates losing.
I think he's done a great job of managing the players and everyone has really bought in.
Last year was a crazy season but we got a bye in the big east tournament which is exactly what I think the goal should have been.
He does need to make adjustments in games better for uconn to have the results we want but I believe that will happen this season and the next few seasons going forward. Overall, I'm very happy with the program right now.

Reaction Score

The reason we lost the tourney game was RJ Cole getting injured too. Not getting a win in the tourney with that team was pretty deflating for the fanbase. It hurt. I don't think we can deny that.

Put me in the "pretty happy" camp. The rebuild isn't fast, but it's being built on a solid foundation. No impactful transfers. Amazing recruiting and adjustment to get more skill this off season. Program management is as good as it gets. Love the defense generally. Love our offensive rebounding.

Do not love the offense. It sucks and needs to change. Not sure there's any way around that. He doesn't adjust in games well at all offensively. Luke should help--he's a great offensive mind. We need to play faster (and not just say it--let the players PLAY fast). Do not love the reluctance to trust Sanogo early on either--that SJU game still bothers me. It looked like we were playing faster towards the end of the season, and coach definitely realized that Sanogo needed to play big minutes, even if it means keeping him drop coverage and out of the high PnR. Good sign of things to come if he's willing to change and get better.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

He hasn't done much... except for an NBA lottery pick, 3 top 25 recruiting classes, rejuvenated a fan base and turned UConn back to the brink of being a perennial top 25 program.

And if not for COVID, he would also have 2 20 win seasons and potentially a second NCAA tourney appearance under his belt. Was last year disappointing how it ended in the BET and NCAAs? Absolutely, but nothing that happened last year was under normal circumstances within Hurley's control.

Quite literally wouldn't want anyone else leading this program at this moment.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Tell that fan on your MB to take a gander at our 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes. Then let us know if he has any more questions.

I love the recruiting classes, and that is a great sign for us to get to where we want to be. I'm happy about them, but that's not indicative or predictive of on court success. It absolutely gives you better odds of getting there, but at the end of of the day you still have to win games. We haven't done that yet. Even last season, we had no real good wins. The people above us in league ate our lunch. Creighton 3 times Nova once. You have to start beating teams at the top to be the top. Our best win? Would have to be USC at Mohegan, I guess. A good win no doubt, what was our second best? It's good that we are beating who we are supposed to now (mostly) , let's take it further.

I just don't like to hang our hat or brag about recruiting success until that success yields on court results. It sounds like something a Cuse fan would say. ;)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love the recruiting classes, and that is a great sign for us to get to where we want to be. I'm happy about them, but that's not indicative or predictive of on court success. It absolutely gives you better odds of getting there, but at the end of of the day you still have to win games. We haven't done that yet. Even last season, we had no real good wins. The people above us in league ate our lunch. Creighton 3 times Nova once. You have to start beating teams at the top to be the top. Our best win? Would have to be USC at Mohegan, I guess. A good win no doubt, what was our second best? It's good that we are beating who we are supposed to now (mostly) , let's take it further.

I just don't like to hang our hat or brag about recruiting success until that success yields on court results. It sounds like something a Cuse fan would say. ;)

That was just another way of saying to a visitor "Thank you for your interest in UConn Basketball."

The ultimate question is whether we like the trajectory we're on. We do. There are a million threads talking about what DH can do to improve the offense. What I'm hearing from the recruits is that he's making clear to them that he recognizes that he needs to adapt.

Reaction Score
hurley.png

To quote Pulp Fiction, "Yeah, we happy."

Your friend on the message board doesn't realize what rough shape Ollie and injuries had left the program in.

Reaction Score
Coach inherited a mess and the team has improved each year with Hurley at the helm. I expect us to take another step forward this coming season. I can see why an outsider thinks coach hasn’t done much but for me I’m as excited about husky bb as I have been in a long time.

Reaction Score

Tell your fan/poster how does he like URI basketball since Hurley left?

I love Hurley's obsession and passion for our program. He has changed the culture in the right direction and the recruits/players love to play for him. All in all I am very happy with coach Hurley and the direction we are going. I will never forget his quote with an interviewer after a heartbreaking loss "People better get us now. It's coming."

I'm in agreement with @husky429 regarding offense, it needs to change. Luke will no doubt have a say on offensive schemes. Very happy with Coach Hurley and his staff. Just check out our recruiting prowess lately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would it have been nice to have a proper ending to 2020? Yes. We were playing well and had a shot to get into the ncaa tournament with a solid conference tournament showing. The end of 2021 was disappointing because Bouk got injured and Cole was hurt too. But if UConn hoops was a stock we would still be on the rise. We’ve gotten better each year Hurley has been here and our last two recruiting classes have us in position talent wise to make the next jump. Very excited for this year and going forward

Reaction Score
Finally he has his team (can add Polley and Whaley). He will have all the players he personally wanted and highly recruited. Even with inherited players he coached well.

The past is fine, but now we will get a glimpse what our future with Hurley will look like for years to come.

Reaction Score

Love his passion/energy, his recruiting, tight knit bond the team has, and his defense. He needs to fix some things offensively...overall, love the trajectory of the program. It's now time to win some games in the tournament. This is year 4 and he has a ton of talent, sweet 16 should be the expectation this season.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Watch this:

Now realize that was not an anomaly that season. Any good team was beating UConn by 20-30 pts.

Hurley has improved things significantly since he arrived and the future looks bright.

Edit: Had the wrong Auburn game originally

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley is ahead of JC after 3 years. And JC inherited better players.
Not that it matters but that's at least debatable. JC's first year got wrecked by the best 2 players flunking out. 2nd season he won the NIT. 3rd season wasn't bad (18-13) and then he had a team that was primed for what we all know happened in the 4th season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is trending up that’s all that matters. First couple years wasn’t ideal but going back to the Big East and getting his recruits is surely working out now.

Reaction Score
This year and next year are the true barometer. If we don't have a really good season in the next two years, then it's time to start questioning.

Culture seems good. Recruiting is great. Made the tournament which was nice. Our expectations are higher than that, but he had to start somewhere. Without injuries last year the conversation is totally different. We're at the point now where injuries will still hurt but we should have enough depth to overcome it. That's what good teams do. We didn't have that last year.

Reaction Score
Only a blind man could not see the upward trajectory that Hurley has the Huskies on.

Hate on Hurley now. Because your opportunity to do so will pass soon.
Ditto. Opposite of the Ollie years when he took great Calhoun program and crash-burned it. We are back now, not getting 5 stars but i don't think one and does are Hurleys M.O.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom