Hurley's comments on Richie Springs Hartford Courant DomAmore | The Boneyard

Hurley's comments on Richie Springs Hartford Courant DomAmore

Reaction Score
Now that'its official some opening comments from Hurley on his new versatile big forward. Couple of new things here.

Still growing, still maturing, still learning. The UConn program is going to be great for the development of Springs. Strength, conditioning, and coaching will turn Richie into a fine 4 year player for us. I am sure he will make his presence felt during his time here. (These are not quotes)

Can someone post this please? Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks looking forward to see what Richie brings this year and beyond like what I'm reading. Good kid, hard worker, others here have talked a good bball IQ which we really need to start finding. Good stuff.

But why did Dom have to end with this:

After this season, the program will regain the scholarship it lost in self-imposed sanctions stemming from NCAA infractions during Kevin Ollie’s time as head coach. That and Vital’s departure will give Hurley two scholarships to offer 2020 recruits, with more if there are other departures.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks looking forward to see what Richie brings this year and beyond like what I'm reading. Good kid, hard worker, others here have talked a good bball IQ which we really need to start finding. Good stuff.

After this season, the program will regain the scholarship it lost in self-imposed sanctions stemming from NCAA infractions during Kevin Ollie’s time as head coach. That and Vital’s departure will give Hurley two scholarships to offer 2020 recruits, with more if there are other departures.

We all know Gilbert will have had four years by the end of this season and depending on his health it's not a reach to suggest he could hang 'em up with a year of eligibility remaining. I think many on this board (me included) think Hurley should be recruiting as if Gilbert won't be back.

Of course, it could also mean Hurley knows Akok, Gaffney and Bouk are so good, at least one of them will be a one and done.

It can also mean an upperclassman who isn't as talented as some of the newcomers gets frustrated with playing time and wants to move on and finish their playing career somewhere else.

So, it's not entirely crazy to think to write that in an article.

There is the caveat the writer just sucks too and doesn't fully grasp the concept of the inches of space he's allotted and how best to fill that space with useful words.

Reaction Score

Other writers have hinted even less subtly about the number of open scholarships next season.

Reaction Score
For people too lazy to click link :)

Hurley:
“He gives us a young, talented, still-maturing, still-physically developing 6-foot-9 athletic frontcourt player,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said Thursday, in a release from the university. "He’s a quality student-athlete, from a strong background in terms of his family and advisors. He’s the type of quality person and player who we feel can help us compete for championships.”

“Richie’s background in basketball," Hurley said, “playing for the PSA Cardinals [a New York-based AAU program] at a high level in the EYBL circuit and his performance at the Peach Jam, plus his experience in the highly competitive New England Prep School league is really going to prepare him to play at a high level here.”

HS Coach:
“I don’t think he’s even begun to scratch the surface of who he’s going to be as an athlete," said Jacque Rivera, who coached Springs at MacDuffie and is now at Woodstock Academy. "He’s got a high floor, and a high ceiling. He’s a versatile 6-9, steps out and shoots it, rebounds well out of his area. Once he gets a little bit stronger, I think the sky’s the limit for him. ... Speaking non-athletically, UConn is getting a young man who is caring, selfless and, most importantly, a hard worker in all facets of life. He comes from a great foundation.”

pj

Reaction Score

What's wrong with saying that? It's factual and gives true and relevant background to Courant readers. He's not naming names of potential departures.

I can go a little farther:
  • Alterique will be 23 years old on October 6, 2020. It's not unreasonable to think he may want to spend his 23-year-old season earning money as a pro, especially if this year's college campaign goes well for him. The RJ Cole recruitment suggests the staff has prepared for this eventuality.
  • Several of the weaker players on the squad will be finishing their third year and, having stayed on campus for summer sessions, will likely have credits to graduate. Given the choice between being an end-of-the-bench player here or a starter elsewhere, the grad transfer route may be attractive.

Reaction Score
I truly hope that the Springs commit does not mirror what happened with Enoch. Everybody with a long term outlook knew that Enoch, due to age and experience, should have been redshirted and developed. Springs will not be 18 until the end of September. He is obviously intelligent if he graduated at age 17, but from a hoops development standpoint he needs another year to battle 20-22 year olds. I would love to see Springs used only if injuries decimate the front line.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with saying that? It's factual and gives true and relevant background to Courant readers. He's not naming names of potential departures.

I can go a little farther:
  • Alterique will be 23 years old on October 6, 2020. It's not unreasonable to think he may want to spend his 23-year-old season earning money as a pro, especially if this year's college campaign goes well for him. The RJ Cole recruitment suggests the staff has prepared for this eventuality.
  • Several of the weaker players on the squad will be finishing their third year and, having stayed on campus for summer sessions, will likely have credits to graduate. Given the choice between being an end-of-the-bench player here or a starter elsewhere, the grad transfer route may be attractive.

Fair enough on those points but let's stay with what we have. The speculation of "leading" can be negative too beyond your 2 so better to be left unsaid and let's get this thing heading in the right direction starting now.

Reaction Score
I truly hope that the Springs commit does not mirror what happened with Enoch. Everybody with a long term outlook knew that Enoch, due to age and experience, should have been redshirted and developed. Springs will not be 18 until the end of September. He is obviously intelligent if he graduated at age 17, but from a hoops development standpoint he needs another year to battle 20-22 year olds. I would love to see Springs used only if injuries decimate the front line.

Good point but if he's ready at 18 like they seem to think having seen what he brought to the table in AAU then let him go. Enoch never had a good IQ if this kid does as most say and believe, he will continue to get better on both ends due to being able to process mistakes. Enoch still doesn't play good defense 5 years later, different abilities hopefully.

Reaction Score

Well considering something unexpected happens at the end of the season with almost every program in the country it's not out of line to suggest that there will be more than 2 scholarships available. There are so many variables where extra scholarships become available that I'd put money on that happening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Different kids with different skill sets, background and attitudes. I'd expect him to play and it is good for his development.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I can't see a kid reclassifying to then redshirt. Makes no sense from a player's perspective.

Besides, developing him now makes him better sooner. Which UConn needs as they don't have much of a pipeline down low at the moment.

I like the idea of another kid fighting and scrapping for minutes. That competition is good for everybody.

Reaction Score
For people too lazy to click link :)

Hurley:
“He gives us a young, talented, still-maturing, still-physically developing 6-foot-9 athletic frontcourt player,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said Thursday, in a release from the university. "He’s a quality student-athlete, from a strong background in terms of his family and advisors. He’s the type of quality person and player who we feel can help us compete for championships.”

“Richie’s background in basketball," Hurley said, “playing for the PSA Cardinals [a New York-based AAU program] at a high level in the EYBL circuit and his performance at the Peach Jam, plus his experience in the highly competitive New England Prep School league is really going to prepare him to play at a high level here.”

HS Coach:
“I don’t think he’s even begun to scratch the surface of who he’s going to be as an athlete," said Jacque Rivera, who coached Springs at MacDuffie and is now at Woodstock Academy. "He’s got a high floor, and a high ceiling. He’s a versatile 6-9, steps out and shoots it, rebounds well out of his area. Once he gets a little bit stronger, I think the sky’s the limit for him. ... Speaking non-athletically, UConn is getting a young man who is caring, selfless and, most importantly, a hard worker in all facets of life. He comes from a great foundation.”

Love the quotes from his high school coach. It seems like we got two gems in Bouknight and Springs from McDuffie. High IQ kids who are coachable and dedicated. I cannot wait to see Bouknight once he adjusts to college ball. He has tremendous upside and is a serious building block. My goodness, I am legitimately excited about UConn basketball again.

Reaction Score
Amore mentions Akok as a wing, what’s that all about???

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love the quotes from his high school coach. It seems like we got two gems in Bouknight and Springs from McDuffie. High IQ kids who are coachable and dedicated. I cannot wait to see Bouknight once he adjusts to college ball. He has tremendous upside and is a serious building block. My goodness, I am legitimately excited about UConn basketball again.
It really helps to have two kids who have played together and already have good chemistry with one another join the team. Rivera knows how to coach. Bouknight and Springs have bb IQ.

I don’t know anything about the play of Akok but Jalen also knows bb.

Exciting times ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom