Hurley wins a close one | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley wins a close one

Reaction Score
I don't get this idea that he DOESN'T win close games, emphatically saying DOES NOT.

Maybe less than some coaches, but he does.

Close games I recall: A 5-point win vs providence. Two years ago a 2 OT thriller vs Auburn, an OT vs VCU and St John's, 2 close ones vs Marquette, 2 pt win vs Nova, as well as a 5 point win vs Seton Hall in that same season. In one of his first seasons there were close wins vs Florida, cincy, and Memphis, and that epic vs Houston to end that same season. I remember a close one vs Tulane and so on.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Tired of ref talk. Bad calls were both ways. Only egregious one I saw was the 4th on Karaban
Let’s be honest everyone. Are we forgetting that travel non call on SJ for the dunk?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was driving home and missed the first half, but the 2nd half seemed pretty evenly called by the refs. Not to say they did a good job, because a lot of calls were questionable, but the Samson non-travel was a huge non call and there were other fouls on St. John's that seemed tricky tack to non-existent.

Reaction Score
When refs allow our guards to get mugged on the perimeter and assaulted at the rim it takes away our talent and skill advantage. Making games a tough guy “strong man” match. It evens the playing field
I could not agree more with this statement.

What is it about Tristen and Cam that they can’t buy a call? Especially Tristen? Is is that he has the size advantage? It shouldn't matter but apparently it does

I don’t want any home cooking – I really don’t. But just call a fair game both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest everyone. Are we forgetting that travel non call on SJ for the dunk?
A travel is a violation - you can get called for 20 travels in a game, and stay in the game.

We are talking fouls - the ones that can put you at the line or take you off the court.

The walk should have been called but they missed one. I could have lived with that one going against us too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I think we benefitted by the no traveling call on Johnson's 4 steps from the 3 point line for a dunk. I'd have to see it again but that surely had to be traveling.
Think it was three steps, but yeah.

Reaction Score
I don't get this idea that he DOESN'T win close games, emphatically saying DOES NOT.

Maybe less than some coaches, but he does.

Close games I recall: A 5-point win vs providence. Two years ago a 2 OT thriller vs Auburn, an OT vs VCU and St John's, 2 close ones vs Marquette, 2 pt win vs Nova, as well as a 5 point win vs Seton Hall in that same season. In one of his first seasons there were close wins vs Florida, cincy, and Memphis, and that epic vs Houston to end that same season. I remember a close one vs Tulane and so on.
And, like, I pointed out last year before the championship run -- he also doesn't get "close game" credit for those games that are a 5 point margin in the second half that we expand to 15. Last night we didn't get that separation, but is that a better testament to his coaching than a game like Butler last year where it was close before we went on a run to put it away?

Reaction Score
Saw a nice quote by Pitino this morning… You know how many teams that lose come up with excuses whatever they are… Didn’t execute, blah blah…

Pitino was like “yeah that was the best game we‘ve played this year” Class.

I thought St Johns looked awesome out there and frankly there are only a handful of teams in the country they could have played where they don’t walk away w/ a W with that effort/execution - one being UConn :)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Karaban call was really bad, but it was a rough game. 6 plsyers with 4 fouls and no one fouling out is evidence that the whistle was subjective but i don't think it was biased for either side.

Our guy need to tone down the trash talk, Newton almost got himself a T.

I thought Signare did well for his time on the court.

Stopping pedestrian and driving to the basket ourselves is going to be critical. We have not been consistent enough from deep, especially now that every opponent is going to extend pressure on the perimeter and switch all screens. Hurley needs an effective counter.

Forget everything that happened before Kansas, that isn't going to work against really good teams that can defend Unless we can show them another look.

Reaction Score
Truth is teams are beating Tristen up and thus far it’s ok with Big East refs, that’s a bit alarming. Same a little with Cam although it was obvious that Rick wanted to make sure he didn’t get many open looks last night, that was a focus they were pointing and following the shooter all game.

Having said that the way the whistle went 2nd half worked out just fine, was fair for both although inconsistent. The baseline ref on the missed 3 at the end of the game in which Ledlum assaulted Diarra was letting that go and giving the ball back to the Johnnies. Thank God the back ref recognized the foul.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The games that are whistled and officiated like this help us when March comes along. Just way too many fouls down low with bodies banging for both teams. Wish the refs just swallowed their whistle more tonight.
My section agreed. We didn’t like the whistles either way. Don’t call them on us and don’t call them on them. This is the BE. Let’s play.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Finally gets the close one everyone's been begging for

FT shooting is still terrible and besides injuries, will be our Achilles heel.

We got jobbed by the refs at home. How often does that happen in the Big East? Dave needs to call Val and sort this garbage out. Official representatives of the conference are hurting the conference and the sanctity of the game.

Not having a backup 5 is going to hurt. Thought Stewart would get more run. Someone will have to step up to have the year we want to have.

Overall not a great showing but a win is a win is a win. Let's start playing more A games so we have more to cheer about
I said it last year and will say it again: The Big East, as a conference, is calling for the refs to job UConn.

It is simple arithmetic . With only one or two excellent teams, if the two best waltz through the season, and everyone else is back in the pack, then the Big East only gets those top 2 teams into the Tournament. Steal a few games from UConn, and several teams now have that Quad 1 win they need. And UConn will actually be fine. Just look at how last year played our. Sure, UConn lost a few places in seeding, but what did that matter, in the end.

The surprising thing to me is that we were actually allowed to win last night.

The game is rigged. Big East Conference is the villain.

Here's praying for FSU to win their lawsuit. It opens some doors going forward. It would not be difficult to produce the video tape evidence to prove the obvious thumb on the scale.

Big East Basketball is a good bunch of schools/competitors. The Conference, itself, as an organization,, on the other hand, should be on a fast train to oblivion.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
As I think on it, UConn needs to hand out clown noses at every home game.

With all the enthusiasm of the "UConn - Huskies" cheer.....

"Clown Nose" - "On"

Reaction Score
Watch at the 6:15 mark in the highlights thread which was about 10:15 in the second half.
Thanks. Just watched it. I think they would even called that traveling when my son started playing travel basketball in 4th grade and they let everything go. Lol

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What was more egregious was what they didn't call. They flung their bodies at us at will on rebounds and loose balls and only got whistled like 20% of the time. It was the Seattle Seahawks Legion of Boom strategy of "well, they can't call all of them, might as well foul every time."
This is the strategy that got Pitino a “title” in 2013. Something’s never changes

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hate when people act like we didn’t screwed by the refs cause they don’t wanna be homers. You watched the game, just be honest.
“Can’t complain about the refs” guys are way worse than any complaint

Reaction Score
I said it last year and will say it again: The Big East, as a conference, is calling for the refs to job UConn.

It is simple arithmetic . With only one or two excellent teams, if the two best waltz through the season, and everyone else is back in the pack, then the Big East only gets those top 2 teams into the Tournament. Steal a few games from UConn, and several teams now have that Quad 1 win they need. And UConn will actually be fine. Just look at how last year played our. Sure, UConn lost a few places in seeding, but what did that matter, in the end.

Here's praying for FSU to win their lawsuit. It opens some doors going forward. It would not be difficult to produce the video tape evidence to prove the obvious thumb on the scale.

Big East Basketball is a good bunch of schools/competitors. The Conference, itself, as an organization,, on the other hand, should be on a fast train to oblivion.
Hmm, you sound curiously like an insurrectionist!!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
We were 10.5 point favorites so barely winning isn’t exactly cutting the mustard.

Reaction Score
Well I think we benefitted by the no traveling call on Johnson's 4 steps from the 3 point line for a dunk. I'd have to see it again but that surely had to be traveling.
Is it traveling when you take 5 steps without dribbling?? Lebron would have been embarrassed. But the whiners on here don’t remember the calls that we get……just the ones we don’t.

Reaction Score

YAWN

Reaction Score
Finally gets the close one everyone's been begging for

FT shooting is still terrible and besides injuries, will be our Achilles heel.

We got jobbed by the refs at home. How often does that happen in the Big East? Dave needs to call Val and sort this garbage out. Official representatives of the conference are hurting the conference and the sanctity of the game.

Not having a backup 5 is going to hurt. Thought Stewart would get more run. Someone will have to step up to have the year we want to have.

Overall not a great showing but a win is a win is a win. Let's start playing more A games so we have more to cheer about
What about Youse Singare? Won't he be able to support being a dependable backup to help out Clingan and Johnson? Yes, he is a freshman, but he is talented and big too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom