Hurley wants some of these big OOC games in Connecticut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley wants some of these big OOC games in Connecticut

Reaction Score
Nice seeing Kansas, UNC, and Indiana on the schedule this year. Let's get Duke, UCLA and Zona next year. Loving the zags, if not them, get FAU in the future.

As far as the absolute dregs of the OOC schedule, would like to trade those mid 300s with mid 200s at the very least and make them more regional. Disliked Arkansas pine bluff and mississipii valley for instance, really saw no point in that. Let's make Yale a thing again like in the 1990s. Last game vs them was an ugly 45-44 loss in 2014, revenge is a decade in the making.
The cupcakes are for kenpom/net. It makes sense to schedule these cupcakes and blow them out while getting some young kids minutes and then having a couple big time OOC games coupled with the Big East schedule. The analytics like beating the drum off the cupcakes.

Reaction Score
It would be great to see better home out-of-conference games as Hurley suggests, however given the numerous home sell outs this season there will not be a lot of financial pressure on the athletic department to alter the current scheduling approach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice seeing Kansas, UNC, and Indiana on the schedule this year. Let's get Duke, UCLA and Zona next year. Loving the zags, if not them, get FAU in the future.

As far as the absolute dregs of the OOC schedule, would like to trade those mid 300s with mid 200s at the very least and make them more regional. Disliked Arkansas pine bluff and mississipii valley for instance, really saw no point in that. Let's make Yale a thing again like in the 1990s. Last game vs them was an ugly 45-44 loss in 2014, revenge is a decade in the making.

Big schools have made an effort to schedule HBCU's. Many of them are some of the worst D1 schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a 95% chance that KU @ UConn next season. KU has played at home in 3 of the past 4 seasons. They have to be on the road next year. And there's no way UConn plays on the road twice in a row. It's a perfect matchup. If they send KU to Marquette or Creighton or something then Val should be fired into the sun
So, if KU does come to Connecticut, is it better to have it at Gampel or XL? I'm of two minds on this. 15,000 at the XL for this game would be crazy loud. On the other hand, I kinda like showing off our campus and are on campus arena which, though 5000 people smaller in capacity, still gets really loud.

Reaction Score
The cupcakes are for kenpom/net. It makes sense to schedule these cupcakes and blow them out while getting some young kids minutes and then having a couple big time OOC games coupled with the Big East schedule. The analytics like beating the drum off the cupcakes.

If we wanted to impress the analytics, we would be scheduling teams from 170-200 or so. Not sub 300. We are probably too good to worry about gaming the metrics, but it could help move up a slot.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
So, if KU does come to Connecticut, is it better to have it at Gampel or XL? I'm of two minds on this. 15,000 at the XL for this game would be crazy loud. On the other hand, I kinda like showing off our campus and are on campus arena which, though 5000 people smaller in capacity, still gets really loud.
No way Kansas gets that draw. I was making that point when this game was first scheduled. We will draw the bad Big12 teams at home and then travel to the teams that are on top of the conference. Last year we got Oklahoma State at home. Next year we will probably get West Virginia or some other cellar dweller team to come to Gampel. The year after if the series is still going on I see a game at Baylor in our future 2025.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Last time Kansas came to XL err the Civic center it was the loudest I’ve ever heard that building. Albeit they handed out these noise maker things. But we lost.

Kirk King and Ricky Moore had just been suspended for airline tickets! Circa January 1997 my freshman year.

If Kansas comes to UConn, it’s got to be Gampel this time.

Reaction Score
No way Kansas gets that draw. I was making that point when this game was first scheduled. We will draw the bad Big12 teams at home and then travel to the teams that are on top of the conference. Last year we got Oklahoma State at home. Next year we will probably get West Virginia or some other cellar dweller team to come to Gampel. The year after if the series is still going on I see a game at Baylor in our future 2025.

Na we will draw good teams on the road and at home. The brand is on a different level than it was when Okie State was scheduled.

Reaction Score
Obviously we need a big home game for the ticket holders. I personally don’t care but I am psyched about being back in Maui.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So, if KU does come to Connecticut, is it better to have it at Gampel or XL? I'm of two minds on this. 15,000 at the XL for this game would be crazy loud. On the other hand, I kinda like showing off our campus and are on campus arena which, though 5000 people smaller in capacity, still gets really loud

If they can Febreze the rancid fryer smell out of XL, it's a tough call. But that game on campus...that's the winner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gonzaga is a 2-off, they're coming to MSG next year. It's a semi-home and semi-home. So Hurley is talking out the side of his mouth a bit,
It is possible Gonzaga didn't agree to it. They may have wanted to play their end in Seattle for the bigger capacity (6k v. 18k) and in return not come to Connecticut. You could be right, but just playing devil's advocate.

Reaction Score
It is possible Gonzaga didn't agree to it. They may have wanted to play their end in Seattle for the bigger capacity (6k v. 18k) and in return not come to Connecticut. You could be right, but just playing devil's advocate.
Wait, but it was reported as a multiyear agreement with the return game next year at MSG…

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Self doesn’t agree to a separate H/H agreement starting in Storrs, he’s a coward. This could be the start of a fun rivalry.

Reaction Score
Wait, but it was reported as a multiyear agreement with the return game next year at MSG…
That's what I mean. I could totally see UConn saying hey we want you to come to Connecticut and we can come to Spokane, but Gonzaga preferred to play in a larger venue in Seattle that holds 14k and in return we will play at MSG since they didn't want a home game for us and not for them. I am just speculating here; it's possible they were just using this as an opportunity to show visibility in Seattle and get more fans a chance to see their team since their home arena is only 6k

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bring it home Danny

Pun intended

Reaction Score
One other thought. Playing at MSG gets you more money, as you can sell the rights for just that one game. All true home games, the TV rights are already owned by Fox and paid for.

Reaction Score
If we wanted to impress the analytics, we would be scheduling teams from 170-200 or so. Not sub 300. We are probably too good to worry about gaming the metrics, but it could help move up a slot.
No we aren’t trying impressing the eye test in regards to net/kenpom. The team is trying to impress the analytics which is data driven. Houston has played nobody and is still kenpom and net top 15. There are plenty more examples - not saying I don’t agree with you. I’d personally like better competition to see the young guys play against but beating a 300+ team by 20+ means more than beating a 200+ team by 10+ in regards to the kenpom/net

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom