Hurley Threads (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley Threads (merged)

Reaction Score
The issue with Hurley and this team is that I feel he puts everything on a pedestal. Watch teams like St. Peter’s and Memphis make strides towards the sweet sixteen. Is that because they’re so much superior to us? No, that’s because they don’t play tight, and believe that making the second weekend takes a Herculean effort. This year’s team was good enough to make it but they played stiff because they believed they needed to be perfect instead of playing free. Look at Calhoun teams. They played aggressive and without fear of lose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's trying to use the failures of the last administration as his go-to and to explain his own administrations fails. We see it in politics all the time. That usually works for the first couple of years until he starts to build his own track record. This is year 4, so enough with the it's Ollie's fault crap.
He's a good recruiter who acts like a maniac on the court, and whose team seem to tighten up in pressure games. That's not an Ollie problem, that's a DH problem. How about sucking it up and admitting you have more work to do?
Actually, it's a comprehension problem. It has nothing to do with basketball.

Reaction Score
The issue with Hurley and this team is that I feel he puts everything on a pedestal. Watch teams like St. Peter’s and Memphis make strides towards the sweet sixteen. Is that because they’re so much superior to us? No, that’s because they don’t play tight, and believe that making the second weekend takes a Herculean effort. This year’s team was good enough to make it but they played stiff because they believed they needed to be perfect instead of playing free. Look at Calhoun teams. They played aggressive and without fear of lose.
I’m glad you said that — this team probably has flaws — but the preparation, coaching, and intensity were BAD. That’s all psychological stuff that emanates from the top.

This team could have achieved much bigger things. They’re not ostensibly worse than the teams dancing. They just sucked on the one night when they needed to play inspired. What does that say about the state of the program? Some will claim it says nothing, but playing loose speaks volumes to me.

Reaction Score
He's trying to use the failures of the last administration as his go-to and to explain his own administrations fails. We see it in politics all the time. That usually works for the first couple of years until he starts to build his own track record. This is year 4, so enough with the it's Ollie's fault crap.
He's a good recruiter who acts like a maniac on the court, and whose team seem to tighten up in pressure games. That's not an Ollie problem, that's a DH problem. How about sucking it up and admitting you have more work to do?

I’ve been on this board long enough that I shouldn’t be surprised by idiotic ____ being beaten into the ground but somehow posts like this still catch my attention. I feel like Mugatu in Zoolander.

That statement was Hurley crediting the departing seniors for sticking with the program thru some pretty bleak times, which is an objectively true thing that happened. He didn’t put anything on Ollie. He didn’t blame this season on Ollie. People who are posting ____ like this just want to hear themselves talk. It’s untethered from reality.

Reaction Score
K. Williams? Who cares if your last man is someone good. If it’s someone with a lot of potential, the board complains that they’re not playing enough. And if it’s someone who isn’t good enough to ever make an impact, we ask why don’t we have young kids not ready yet but who if we sat them a few years might be good.

Adams and Enoch was a good enough class. The class after it, on paper, was unbelievable. Getting Purvis and Gibbs and Miller were great. EVen the last year, with everything falling apart, Akinjo — and all conference level player and important starter on a top ten team — wanted to come here.

Every coach has recruiting failures. Even Calhoun. KO’s recruiting was not the problem. The problem is that whatever changed with him, whether his divorce or something else or just picking kids who were entitled, kids didn’t want to play hard for him and take order. I’m not excusing that. While I’ll always think we pulled the plug quickly given the natty, I understand why and I don’t think he was going to turn us around quickly. But recruiting was the least of his problems.
We were 7th in the AAC. You think that bad recruiting and a bad roster wasn't a part of that then I have some swamplands in Florida for you to buy.

Reaction Score
I’ve been on this board long enough that I shouldn’t be surprised by idiotic ____ being beaten into the ground but somehow posts like this still catch my attention. I feel like Mugatu in Zoolander.

That statement was Hurley crediting the departing seniors for sticking with the program thru some pretty bleak times, which is an objectively true thing that happened. He didn’t put anything on Ollie. He didn’t blame this season on Ollie. People who are posting ____ like this just want to hear themselves talk. It’s untethered from reality.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who finds it bizarre. It comes off like a witch hunt.

Reaction Score
Let him do what he does well, recruit. We need talented guards.

Reaction Score
Oats and Mussleman are not “above” Hurley. Hurley just took a different approach regarding transfers and pushing players out.

Comparing any new coach to Calhoun is idiotic. Comparing our coach to Calhoun as a slight is even more so. Calhoun is arguably the greatest program builder ever.

The ending to this season sucked. Some fundamental things about how he’s constructing his rosters need to change or he’ll never reach the heights he wants to. But the personal attacks and name calling of a man who without a doubt brought this program back from life support is weird and uncalled for imo. No one who’s met Hurley would call him a “loser”. It’s a step too far. Dan coached on the AAC, he wasn’t taking a dig at Ollie. Matter of fact earlier in the season he named Ollie as one of the coaches who achieved something great here. You guys have your panties in a bunch over a passing quote. He said from where “we” were and gave all credit to the players. We’re reaching now. Chill out.
Yes. There are fair criticisms that can be made towards Hurley and I have some, but personal attacks against him shouldn’t happen. He has done a good job in getting UConn out of the abyss.

BTW, I am not sure it’s debateable, Calhoun‘s job of building UConn basketball is the best ever

Reaction Score
Ollie was an assistant under Calhoun for 2 years, his first year was 2011 Kemba made the leap that year obviously, was with Shabazz for 4 years, 2 as an assistant, 2 as HC. Recruited Boatright, Purvis, Adams, and Gilbert. Could definitely recruit and coach up pgs. Very much had a hand in those last 2 national championships.

He did win a tournament game without Shabazz, the wheels fell off completely when Dham left, he got distracted and burned bridges with people bad luck with the Gilbert injury and being in the AAC, recruits leaving and decommiting.

Reaction Score
lol I wonder what this board would’ve said of Jim Calhouns first 13 years as UConn’s coach

Reaction Score
lol I wonder what this board would’ve said of Jim Calhouns first 13 years as UConn’s coach

Calhoun would have grown sick of us and bolted after 10 years, maybe sooner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recruit, or pull the wool over their eyes. He’s Bob Sugar.

During Bouknight's visit in February he posted that tweet to Hurley paraphrasing "if not for you this doesn't happen" I believe referring to his NBA career. Hurley is a terrific developer of talent and good players want to play for him. Sorry if that doesn't fit your agenda but it is true.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I wonder about this all the time. Why weren’t studs lined up to play for KO after the national title. We had mens and womens same year! No better press or publicity possible. What the hell happened?
AAC and our poor recruiting (and they are connected).

Reaction Score
During Bouknight's visit in February he posted that tweet to Hurley paraphrasing "if not for you this doesn't happen" I believe referring to his NBA career. Hurley is a terrific developer of talent and good players want to play for him. Sorry if that doesn't fit your agenda but it is true.
I believe he was referring to his immature behavior that day. “I learned it by watching you”.
I believe he was referring to getting himself kicked out, aka ABC Afterschool Special: “I learned it by watching you Dad”.

Yeah - DH is really churning out NBA players like a factory. Please. Bouk starting putting up numbers out of the gate, that wasn’t development. He’s a good recruiter, but a child with a long way to go as a coach.

Reaction Score
Hurley was the perfect guy to come in and rebuild the program. UConn is relevant again. That's a hell of a lot more fun as a fan than what we saw from 2016-2018. Hurley's challenge now is to prove he can win tournament games in March. He only has 2 NCAA tournament wins total as a Head Coach. Here's to hoping he continues to grow as a coach and shows that he can lead a team on a deep tourney run. The winning % has gone up every season under Hurley, perhaps next season is the breakthrough.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hurley was the perfect guy to come in and rebuild the program. UConn is relevant again. That's a hell of a lot more fun as a fan than what we saw from 2016-2018. Hurley's challenge now is to prove he can win tournament games in March. He only has 2 NCAA tournament wins total as a Head Coach. Here's to hoping he continues to grow as a coach and shows that he can lead a team on a deep tourney run. The winning % has gone up every season under Hurley, perhaps next season is the breakthrough.
I think the problem is that there is little reason at this point to believe we will be better next season. A lot depends on who stays and what we get through the portal.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is that there is little reason at this point to believe we will be better next season. A lot depends on who stays and what we get through the portal.
I look at Hurley as a high floor, unknown ceiling type of coach. I think the talent will be better next season, especially if Cole and/or Martin return. Karaban should give us an outside threat and CF Jr appears to be tough. If Clingan is serviceable, and Akok can stay healthy, there's lots of upside. The big question mark is the portal, both in and out. I think the talent will be there to compete. Whether they do or not is anyone's guess.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I look at Hurley as a high floor, unknown ceiling type of coach. I think the talent will be better next season, especially if Cole and/or Martin return. Karaban should give us an outside threat and CF Jr appears to be tough. If Clingan is serviceable, and Akok can stay healthy, there's lots of upside. The big question mark is the portal, both in and out. I think the talent will be there to compete. Whether they do or not is anyone's guess.
I have no information other than what we have all seen and heard, but I am proceeding on the assumption that neither Cole nor Martin are returning, in which case I think the biggest question is point guard, and guard play in general.

We saw this year the limitations when we have only one reliable ball handler and scorer; without him it is really a huge unknown. If we are penciling in Jackson and Sonogo as the only two certain returning starters, we will need to replace a lot of scoring. I am hopeful that Hawkins will have a great offseason and be a lock for the third starting spot, but no one has seen him play since the concussion and the fact that Hurley didn’t think he was recovered enough to even be eligible to play in our first round game in the NCAAs gives me pause. We know confidence has been a huge issue with him and I hope he isn’t spooked by this going forward.

I know little more about what to expect from Diggins and Floyd than I do about what’s behind curtain number three, i.e., the portal.

Sadly, I tend to agree with those who do not expect Akok to contribute significantly at this point.

Reaction Score
I have no information other than what we have all seen and heard, but I am proceeding on the assumption that neither Cole nor Martin are returning, in which case I think the biggest question is point guard, and guard play in general.

We saw this year the limitations when we have only one reliable ball handler and scorer; without him it is really a huge unknown. If we are penciling in Jackson and Sonogo as the only two certain returning starters, we will need to replace a lot of scoring. I am hopeful that Hawkins will have a great offseason and be a lock for the third starting spot, but no one has seen him play since the concussion and the fact that Hurley didn’t think he was recovered enough to even be eligible to play in our first round game in the NCAAs gives me pause. We know confidence has been a huge issue with him and I hope he isn’t spooked by this going forward.

I know little more about what to expect from Diggins and Floyd than I do about what’s behind curtain number three, i.e., the portal.

Sadly, I tend to agree with those who do not expect Akok to contribute significantly at this point.
I don’t really believe Jordan lacks confidence. I think he has a strong belief in himself but is also hard on himself because he kind of is a perfectionist. He comes from a good family and they are very supportive of Jordan. He just needs to get stronger physically, so he can impose his will.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We were 7th in the AAC. You think that bad recruiting and a bad roster wasn't a part of that then I have some swamplands in Florida for you to buy.
I thought is was swamplands in Iowa?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Please list all the players that Hurley has developed - start with those that are in the NBA and playing. Bouknight??????
Good players play D1 basketball
I don't know about agendas but you are forcing a square peg into a round hole
Give the guy some time to learn what he needs to do to be successful at the upper echelon of D1 basketball before yore give him keys to the city
Nobody says he can't but he is nowhere near the level you have him - he needs time but at this level time is short

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would like to let you know that in JC's ist 13 years at UConn, the Huskies made the NCAAs 8 times, 1 NC, 3 ELITE 8's, 3 Sweet 16s, the NIT 4 times, 1 NIT championship and 1 NIT third place. JC won the NIT in his 2nd year and went to the Elite 8 in his 4th year when he won his 1st OBE championship
I think the BYers would have been very satisfied
I think if DH did that the BY would be very happy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom