Hurley Threads (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Threads (merged)

Reaction Score
I always wonder where we would be with a consistent, steady Kevin Ollie. No knock on Dan just wonder. You can never tell what life will throw at you.
Kevin Ollie never had the skillset to run a program long term. Simple things like inbounding the ball were often an adventure. He won with Calhoun's guys. He was awful without them.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I keep thinking about the look on Jans' face when his team's draw against UConn was announced. I had hoped it was dismay initially, but thinking back on it, now I'm in agreement with the people who read it as him thinking he'd just hit the jackpot in terms of opponent draws.

I'm as frustrated about the loss as anyone, but this board is really getting out of hand with insane comments like this.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
100%. This pushback on Hurley after where he has the program headed in 4 short years is astonishing. UConn was on the brink of irrelevance and he flipped that narrative almost immediately. Sure, the Big East helped but more than that, you see it in the the type of kid he is proving to constantly bring in. UConn, in its prime, was always about elite talent, whether highly regarded out of the gate or developed in Storrs. Calhoun's teams had multiple NBA players, most times multiple lottery picks. This team has none.
Is Hurley perfect? No. He does need to improve his in game coaching. But he was perfect for this job and still is. Where Hurley went wrong is he decided to focus on culture vs the transfer portal. It backfired. It backfired because Hawkins wasn't truly ready, Gaffney regressed, and Polley didn't bring as much as we would have liked. I truly hope he learned from this mistake. We need multiple experienced guards.
I have always praised our fanbase as extremely knowledgeable about basketball. The takes on here over the past day are as embarrassing as they are unbecoming. It reeks of entitlement and delusion. Entitled because of our past that feels like ancient history and delusional in terms of what this team really was. We should have won on Thursday regardless. It was unquestionably a bad loss. To put Hurley on the hot seat, to discredit what he has accomplished, to whine and complain like most have, is a total joke and lacks perspective that most on here usually have.
You are spot on.

I think a lot of the criticism though (at least my concerns) is that Hurley is very very stubborn.

Until he is willing to admit he is wrong, he made a mistake and he is changing his approach I think a lot of people are going to be frustrated when he underperforms.

Quotes do not help ease those concerns.

With that said, it’s kind of awesome we get to feel that a top 3 BE finish and NCAA 5 seed w/ first round loss is under performing given where we were 4 years ago…

Reaction Score
I keep thinking about the look on Jans' face when his team's draw against UConn was announced. I had hoped it was dismay initially, but thinking back on it, now I'm in agreement with the people who read it as him thinking he'd just hit the jackpot in terms of opponent draws. I think he knew UConn was ripe to be upset, and some of that has to be confidence that Hurley wasn't going to spring anything on his team that he couldn't prepare them for. I'm worried that this will become a trend - UConn is a team other teams hope to face when selections are announced, because Hurley can't elevate them for the tournament and it's a great shot to knock off a big-name school.
The look on his face was because he was expecting to be a 13 or 14 seed not because he was facing UConn.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One thing I'll say about Hurley: I never want to see anyone post that ridiculous "Come get us now" video until he makes a deep tournament run. I promise you nobody's considering UConn a juggernaut of the league when they can't win a Big East regular season or tournament title or even an NCAA tournament game.

Reaction Score
The look on his face was because he was expecting to be a 13 or 14 seed not because he was facing UConn.
And because the announcement was so fast (and his party logistics so bad) that his players weren't even in the room yet.

Reaction Score
"This group will always be remembered for lifting this program from a really, really embarrassing, bad point....," Hurley said.

Tyler and Isiah's freshman year the huskies finished the year at kenpom 179. There were only 2 other teams in the American conference with lower ratings-----South Florida and East Carolina. Think about that. Tulane, Temple, Tulsa, UCF were all ranked higher. That is the bad point he is referring to. We were only better than USF and ECU in the American. How anyone has a problem with Hurley's characterization of where we were is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Think Hurley staying through 2024 is good, gives time and plenty of chance. He really does need to recruit a big time stud guard because tourney success is so guard dependent. I’ve Cole. AJ has shooting issues but we need a Richard Hamilton, Kemba, Lamb, or Bazz. Now I realize how tough that is to get but Hurley’s and our success depends on it.

Reaction Score
Those stats are accurate but how quickly people forget.
Ollie produced the bulk of those results in year 1-2.
The trajectory was down with players leaving. The program was in a free fall.

I give credit to Ollie for winning the NC. But he didn't build that team. under Ollie the caliber of player fell off and the construct of the team was horrible.
I wonder about this all the time. Why weren’t studs lined up to play for KO after the national title. We had mens and womens same year! No better press or publicity possible. What the hell happened?

Reaction Score
I think an important question to ponder: Is Dan Hurley's ceiling as a coach higher than his brother's at Arizona State?

Bobby Hurley has been under 500 for the past 2 years in the conference of champions PAC 12 not making the NCAA tournament in consecutive years after a decent 2-3 year stretch there.

Reaction Score
I wonder about this all the time. Why weren’t studs lined up to play for KO after the national title. We had mens and womens same year! No better press or publicity possible. What the hell happened?
To some extent they were. The class he brought in for 2017, on paper, was one of the strongest we ever had. Unfortunately, a combination of injury, some overrated by services and some having an entitled attitude set us back.

But KO's problem was not one of recruiting.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe hearing that Iowa State went 2-22 in 2020/21 and are 21-12 after being LSU in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night. Now that's a turnaround. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it.
Shows you what a young exceptional PG peaking at the right time can do for you at this level. They didn't lose one non con game and won at Creighton when they were at full strength.

Reaction Score
I think an important question to ponder: Is Dan Hurley's ceiling as a coach higher than his brother's at Arizona State?

Bobby Hurley has been under 500 for the past 2 years in the conference of champions PAC 12 not making the NCAA tournament in consecutive years after a decent 2-3 year stretch there.
I think about this a lot and have almost posted on it several times. They are on very similar troubling arcs.

Danny gets better players because of school and location, but gotta think they have similar ceilings which is terrifying to me.

Reaction Score
Would Ollie have won an NCAA tournament game by now with a veteran team led by James Akinjo (3rd team All-American) and Josh Carlton (1st team All-AAC)??

I tend to believe that Ollie could've won an NCAA game by now with that.

Cole (1st team All-BE) and Sanogo (1st team All-BE) aren't bad but I don't think that Hurley's results to date are untouchable for what Ollie would/could have done.
read your sentence. Could have.
ollie could have been a great coach but he wasn’t.
to argue what might have been when we know where he had the program is a very weak argument

Reaction Score
He can and I really hope he does but there's worrying signs so far. We're really easy to scout and the moment has seemed too big for him so far. He has to get a couple of very good players before next season.
I’ve said it before. Hurley’s greatest asset is as a recruiter. He seems stubborn and unable to adjust in game. He’s going to need top 5 recruiting classes to make up for his coaching. And that’s ok if you are far superior athletically.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley should have very few excuses in year 5. The roster is finally all his guys with Whaley and Polley gone. Keys in the offseason:

Develop AJ's perimeter shot.
Samson, Hawkins, and Diggins must get stronger.
Everyone minus Sanogo and Springs should be shooting threes all day every day.
Sanogo has to develop a midrange game, outlet passing and learn that dunking is allowed in mens basketball
Hawkins has to get his handle confidence back because he will most likely be the SG - he will be so good
I would start Clingan at the 5 Sanogo at the 4 Karban at the 3, Hawkins at the 2 and the 1 is still open BUT it has to be someone whose #1 priority is getting the ball to the others so at this point, based on his AAU play, Sool gets the early nod

Reaction Score
Sanogo has to develop a midrange game, outlet passing and learn that dunking is allowed in mens basketball
Hawkins has to get his handle confidence back because he will most likely be the SG - he will be so good
I would start Clingan at the 5 Sanogo at the 4 Karban at the 3, Hawkins at the 2 and the 1 is still open BUT it has to be someone whose #1 priority is getting the ball to the others so at this point, based on his AAU play, Sool gets the early nod
Sanogo and Clingan will not be able to be on the court at the same time.

Reaction Score
Cannot have Sanogo at the 4. The offense was lijmited this year and Cole is most likely gone and Martin is out the door. Also, losing Whaley with Martin is going to create a big loss on the offensive boards.
Hawkins and Jackson need to make the jump. Hurley needs guys who can play both ends. I love Whaley and Polley, but at times they were 1 end players. Karaban needs to be the shooter that most think he is and Johnson has to get stronger and be ready to contribute. If Adama and DC are on the floor at the same time, then DC needs to be the guy at the top of the key when they go high low. He appears to have a decent looking shot and has the reputation of being a pretty good passer for a big man. He just needs to adjust to the speed of the college game quickly, hopefully.
And they need help at the point. Jackson is a good passer, but I'm not ready to hand over the key s to offense to him on every trip down the floor yet.

Reaction Score
I think about this a lot and have almost posted on it several times. They are on very similar troubling arcs.

Danny gets better players because of school and location, but gotta think they have similar ceilings which is terrifying to me.

Sorry if I'm being dense here, but why would they have similar ceilings? Just because they're siblings? Bryce Drew doesn't have the same pedigree as Scott Drew even though they're siblings. And I think the same sentiment is true for Archie and Sean Miller.

Bobby only got his start coaching college basketball as a member of Danny's staff, despite Danny being younger. He also has finished with a sub-.500 record in half of his seasons at ASU. Danny had a losing record here once and that was when he was 16-17 in his first year.

Danny has his frustrating moments, I get that. He has to keep his emotions in check better, he has to improve his offensive gameplan, and we have to start seeing some postseason wins. However, he has done well recruiting, he has improved the winning percentage consistently year after year, and he has reformed the culture to where there's even these sorts of expectations surrounding the program. I'm not saying he should be allowed to stagnate at this point, but I don't think this is an unreasonable spot for the program to be at right now.

Reaction Score
To some extent they were. The class he brought in for 2017, on paper, was one of the strongest we ever had. Unfortunately, a combination of injury, some overrated by services and some having an entitled attitude set us back.

But KO's problem was not one of recruiting.
It became a problem. His own players tranferred out. The Prince Ali and MAL decommittments. Kwintin Williams fiasco, Lukas Kisunas? It got pretty bad. The roster and recruiting got worse as time went on.

Reaction Score
Sool Diggins isn’t good enough. The fact that he didn’t play at all as a freshman and Nova not prioritizing him despite being in their backyard says a lot to me.

We need an elite point guard and we need to be looking at the transfer portal for a point guard and a perimeter knock down shooter. Right now

Our best best is to play AJacks as point and surround him with shooters/scorers.

I think Hawk will take the next step and be really good.

Sanogo has to be taught how to pass out of double team and how to play the pick and roll better. He struggles with these things and it can help take his game and the teams to the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom