Hurley Threads (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Threads (merged)

Reaction Score
He who does not remember history is condemned to repeat it. For those of you who were not born at the time or too young to remember, these same comments were made about a former coach after his 3-4th years. His name was Jim Calhoun.

Well then sign me up for total amnesia.

Reaction Score
Ollie won with mainly Calhoun's guys

Please! He won with guys who hardly played any meaningful minutes for JC. Minus Shabazz they all had much more bench time than court time. And they came off an APR year as well. Add to that he was on the staff and helped make the players better so the Ollie win with JCs players is old and off target.

Reaction Score
Please! He won with guys who hardly played any meaningful minutes for JC. Minus Shabazz they all had much more bench time than court time. And they came off an APR year as well. Add to that he was on the staff and helped make the players better so the Ollie win with JCs players is old and off target.
MAU if people still making that argument, not even worth engaging on it. KO had his faults, winning a championship certainly wasn't one of them

Reaction Score
He who does not remember history is condemned to repeat it. For those of you who were not born at the time or too young to remember, these same comments were made about a former coach after his 3-4th years. His name was Jim Calhoun.
No they weren't, the entire state was celebrating him and wrapped up in Husky madness. There were movies made about his fourth season at UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’m mad we lost that game but Hurley’s not wrong with that quote.
It’s an arrogant self righteous narcissistic statement. When he got here he was very open and understanding as to why UConn is where they were. No he sounds like the knight in shining armor and saved the program. The guy has gone squat. Most any coach could have done what he had done and gotten more out of these players. I agree. Shut the hell up and deliver. The biggest victory of the NBE season this year was when he was sitting in the locker room. This guy needs a mentor to help him coach and learn public relations. Better yet let him recruit and allow someone else the opportunity to coach a blue blood. I’m sorry but this is over the type. He sounds like someone from DC trying to divert attention from the disaster that was 03/17. I expect more from him

Reaction Score
How many times can you say “we did well considering what I inherited”?

Needed to win one this year so reality is this was a bad ending. While he’s not the only reason at all, he’s part of it and should be preaching higher expectations not whining about the past.

Reaction Score

Needed to win one this year so reality is this was a bad ending. While he’s not the only reason at all, he’s part of it and should be preaching higher expectations not whining about the past.
MY expectation was Sweet 16 for the season to be a success.

Reaction Score
Kind of agree, Hurley needs to ____________ about the past until he makes moves in the tourney. KO won an NC and believe it or not, was a damn good player here. Hurley hasn't earned tarnishing UConn's past and has been here long enough to stop blaming it.

Josh and AG have both moved on to do better things elsewhere......

I'm in the group of giving him more time, but he needs to grow up at the same time.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember those years and aI also know Jim. He would never had made that statement. The comparative is not strong. Sorry

Reaction Score

He sounds like Diaco. I look at a guy like Musselman who went to an Arkansas program that hadn't made a S16 since 96 and almost immediately he gets them to an E8. I look at a guy like Oats at Bama, a program that hadn't made a S16 since 04 and he gets them to a S16 his 2nd year there. Now I'm not asking for DH to turn the mess we were in into E8s and FFs this soon, but at least win a damn game in March as a 5 seed in year 4. No more excuses. There won't be a single Ollie player on next year's roster, it's time to at least get out of the 1st round.

Reaction Score
God I love this stuff. 19-13 Alabama just got pounded by Notre Dame.
Without his point guard and they won the SEC last year and got to a sweet 16. I don't know why people keep bringing up Calhoun, Wright, Oats, and Musselman in comparison to Hurley.

Reaction Score
Without his point guard and they won the SEC last year and got to a sweet 16. I don't know why people keep bringing up Calhoun, Wright, Oats, and Musselman in comparison to Hurley.

Alabama was materially worse than Connecticut all season. And, incidentally, who talks about Hurley in the context of Calhoun more than you do?

Reaction Score

By calhoun's fourth year taking over a worse uconn team he was 31-4 with an elite 8 appearance and a NIT championship back when it meant something, and this thing called a national coach of the year award.

"He who does not remember history (or know how to use Google) is bound to look like an idiot"

Reaction Score
Here’s what Hurley should have said: “I couldn’t be more proud of our players particularly our seniors for their hard work and winning season this year but we are not satisfied with this result and my coaches and I will work tirelessly in our program on all levels until we reach our goal which is to win a national championship.”

Reaction Score
Alabama was materially worse than Connecticut all season. And, incidentally, who talks about Hurley in the context of Calhoun more than you do?
Again...Oats won the SEC regular season championship, the SEC tournament championship, and went to the Sweet 16 last year in his second season. This is year 4 and Hurley is still searching for any kind of Big East hardware or a tournament win.

Reaction Score
Oh, you mean his 4th yr when they went 31 and 6 and lost to Duke on a buzzer beater. NO...we were licking our chops looking forward to the next season.
I was saying I would sign up for history repeating itself.

Is that not good enough for you?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Again...Oats won the SEC regular season championship, the SEC tournament championship, and went to the Sweet 16 last year in his second season. This is year 4 and Hurley is still searching for any kind of Big East hardware or a tournament win.
And what’s your explanation for this season? Definitely more talented than us and definitely underperformed us all season. He’s also not exactly the “calming presence in the huddle” everyone swears would’ve been the difference in us making a huge run this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom