Hurley quotes at Middlesex C o C Event | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley quotes at Middlesex C o C Event

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One example comes to mind for me. We pressed last year, until we got burned so often and turned the ball over so often that we had to stop and go back to half court D. That won't happen this year. The depth alone will allow him to sit down anybody who isn't running the D or the O as designed.
And competition in practice will have them all pushing each other.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
is a "valuable" player a rotation player? If so, that would be big for Adams to be a rotation contributor. Practice players are also called "valuable" sometimes though by their coaches. I think he will play and be good. He has to make shots though. Last year he had way too many nervous airball threes.
I felt like he was overwhelmed by the pace of the game and hampered a bit by conditioning last year. He could be poised to make a decent Soph jump this year, though "athletic enough" is faint praise.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance to redshirt Springs and let him full grow and develop before hitting the court?
No. Sitting a guy who can potentally help the team win a game at some point in the seaon is not a good use of the roster.

Reaction Score
I think Springs brings enough value this coming season to get some minutes. So I wouldn’t rs him. It will really pay off next year when we are really in great shape to make a run.

Reaction Score
No. Sitting a guy who can potentally help the team win a game at some point in the seaon is not a good use of the roster.
On the other hand, absolutely if a massively more experienced coaching staff with dramatically more direct insights decides redshirting is best for both an individual player and program. Advantage Hurley, Moore, et al

Reaction Score
Great comments about the improvement and expectations for the veterans and potential of the newer players, but a less than ringing endorsement for Adams.

“We felt he’d be a good person, a good player to help us rebuild the program. He’s an incredibly hard worker, he can really shoot the ball, he’s physically very strong, he’s athletic enough. It’s a big year for him to improve and develop a role for himself at UConn. My expectation is that he’s going to prove himself to be a valuable player this year."

It’s more a set of expectations that will lead to a decision than an endorsement. Everyone’s rooting for him, and I hope he meets them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I like watching games more than highlights to get a feel for a player. I watched one game that Springs and Bouknight played in and felt Ritchie was growing into his body but even as he’s adjusting to the new growth he was a great rebounder. He knows how to position himself and assesses careens well. Oh and Bouknight played at another level over everyone else.

The problem with one game however is whether these performances were fairly constant or aberrations.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It’s more a set of expectations that will lead to a decision than an endorsement. Everyone’s rooting for him, and I hope he meets them.
Given the scholarship situation I was very curious why Hurley elected to have him come to UConn. It could only have been because he thought the kid would do well.

Hope his summer efforts pay off, he develops the confidence to shoot well and becomes a major contributor this season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Given the scholarship situation I was very curious why Hurley elected to have him come to UConn. It could only have been because he thought the kid would do well.

Hope his summer efforts pay off, he develops the confidence to shoot well and becomes a major contributor this season.

Programs needs guys like Adams. What a good program can't do is rely on the them for major contributions until Junior year. You hope they refine their game, do all the little things well to be capable backups who don't impact the game with athleticism or incredible skills, but with savvy, BB IQ, playing hard and not making mistakes.

Anybody expecting more is expecting too much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just what we need and have been lacking for years.
A willing offensive rebounder with the inate skills do it.

Really haven't had that since Johnny Selvie left the program.

Reaction Score
How many times will this burn us? Can't have people getting 2-3 fouls in the 1st 10 minutes.

Right. I'd prefer we be passive and soft.

I recall someone else leading physical practices in the past . . .

Reaction Score
Right. I'd prefer we be passive and soft.

I recall someone else leading physical practices in the past . . .

We were 312th in the country last year in free throw rate on defense and we fouled good shooters too often. All in all, opposing teams scored the 30th most free throws as a percentage of total points against us. Free throws are highly efficient shots. Opponents averaged 1.46 points per trip to the line for 2 against us last year, vs. 1.01 points per defensive possession in total (which means the strictly non-foul shot part of the pie was an even lower number).

You could argue it was the single biggest flaw on the team last year. It may have been a symptom of other issues (personnel and/or scheme) rather than just physical, aggressive play, though.

It's at the least a fair question to ask if Hurley is emphasizing avoiding fouling opponents enough.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why? It's not like we won't need someone to pick up minutes in the middle this year.

Yeah, we've got 1 center right now. And a likely foul prone PF. Gonna need guys to fill minutes down there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Because at the time, it would have been a class of zero. Donut classes are unacceptable.

Plus, Hurley's first order of business was to change the culture. It's not lost on me that Adams was apparently the hardest worker last year. Forces others to keep up.

And you always need a role player guy or two at the end of the bench. When the team finally gets good, he'll be a Jr/Sr. Which is perfect.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Brendan Adams is the fifth guard. I hope he continues to improve but I can't see him playing more than 10-12 minutes a game.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We were 312th in the country last year in free throw rate on defense and we fouled good shooters too often. All in all, opposing teams scored the 30th most free throws as a percentage of total points against us. Free throws are highly efficient shots. Opponents averaged 1.46 points per trip to the line for 2 against us last year, vs. 1.01 points per defensive possession in total (which means the strictly non-foul shot part of the pie was an even lower number).

You could argue it was the single biggest flaw on the team last year. It may have been a symptom of other issues (personnel and/or scheme) rather than just physical, aggressive play, though.

It's at the least a fair question to ask if Hurley is emphasizing avoiding fouling opponents enough.

Tbf we were bad at everything. And they were just trying to get any kind of system installed.

They were trying to get a LOT of bad habits unlearned. Not the easiest job in the world.

And our guys were soft, with low motors. Just changing that alone was worth the foul fest. Aggression is good. But you've got to turn it on first. Then you can channel it.

Reaction Score
If you're right and nobody makes that claim, I'll have done my job.
Thanks for what I read as support.

Considering those same players were regularly getting slaughtered by 20-25 points under the other head coach, Hurley winning with them will be quite an accomplishment. I am very happy with the progress of the program over the past year and a half. Hurley is definitely the right guy for the job.

C

Chief00

wow! the praise for richie springs really jumped out to me:

“I think he is going to be great. He was a late add, but I think Richie, in his career, is going to prove to be as valuable as any of the other three freshman that probably came in with a lot more buzz. Richie’s 6-9, just turned 18, he’s still growing. Tristan Thompson is the best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached, he plays for the Cavaliers, Richie Springs is would be the second best offensive rebounder I’ve ever coached. He’s such a quick jumper, traces the ball real well he’s going to develop a really good skill set. He could end up being 6-11 when it’s all said and done.”
Agree, Chief has been high on Springs too.

Reaction Score

Excellent stat to have, and I'm sure the kind of info that the coaches have looked at and are planning to address.

What do you think led to our high foul rate? New aggressive style of defense they're getting used to? Inexperience? Genuinely a bad defensive scheme? Player personnel?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom