Hurley Providence Post Game Presser | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Providence Post Game Presser

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of this Ed Cooley, came from poverty and graduated from Stonehill College. But check this out, 900 to 1390?

"At Providence's Central High School, Cooley played basketball and twice earned Rhode Island Player of the Year honors. After graduating in 1988, Cooley attended the New Hampton School in New Hampton, New Hampshire for a post-graduate year in 1988–1989. Matriculating to Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts, Cooley was required to take the SATs four times before the NCAA allowed him to play basketball there. He did not score high enough on his first two attempts, scored a 900 but was accused of cheating on his third test, and finally scored a 1390 on his fourth, supervised test.[3]

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Johnson is not getting minutes while Sanogo is out.

Reaction Score
Basically that it wasn't the right game for him defensively. Seems alot of these recent games ....
It seemed to me to not be the "right game" for any of them defensively (and offensively for that matter).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Are there really people calling for more of a guy who went for 0 pts 3 rebs over someone who is our most important defensive player who went for 10 pts and 7 rebs? This loss is on the perimeter players not named Tyrese Martin. AJ had a good game too, even if people are overvaluing defensive rebounds. While Cole was huge in the 2nd half comeback, you can't take 19 shots to score 13 from the floor. The bench was atrocious, and while Polley was terrible he only played that much because Akok was offensively useless. In that spot you need one of Cole, Hawk, Polley, or Gaffney to make up the 10-15 points they we were short and they didn't.

In summary, 5 of our 8 rotations guys had bad games and we were missing our best inside scorer. Sounds like a recipe for a loss to me. l'm surprised it was that close, but our defense still showed up and that is encouraging if you believe the lousy offensive output will be a rare occurrence.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of this Ed Cooley, came from poverty and graduated from Stonehill College. But check this out, 900 to 1390?

"At Providence's Central High School, Cooley played basketball and twice earned Rhode Island Player of the Year honors. After graduating in 1988, Cooley attended the New Hampton School in New Hampton, New Hampshire for a post-graduate year in 1988–1989. Matriculating to Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts, Cooley was required to take the SATs four times before the NCAA allowed him to play basketball there. He did not score high enough on his first two attempts, scored a 900 but was accused of cheating on his third test, and finally scored a 1390 on his fourth, supervised test.[3]
Not that it means a hill of beans to this thread, but what’s your point here? He was accused of cheating, took a SUPERVISED 4th test, got a better score and showed he probably didn’t. What am i missing?

Reaction Score
Not that it means a hill of beans to this thread, but what’s your point here? He was accused of cheating, took a SUPERVISED 4th test, got a better score and showed he probably didn’t. What am i missing?
It just seemed very odd, is all. How do you score too low twice, get accused of cheating, then bang a 1390. I am not saying there is anything wrong but reading that, how such as drastic increase stands out as weird.

Surely Vernon a man in your position would agree.

Reaction Score
It just seemed very odd, is all. How do you score too low twice, get accused of cheating, then bang a 1390. I am not saying there is anything wrong but reading that, how such as drastic increase stands out as weird.

I’m with you. I like Cooley but 1390 is a very high score. Back then 1390 put you in Ivy League range. A 1390 then was like a 1490 now. You don’t go from ineligible to Harvard on the SAT.

Reaction Score

Well played.

Reaction Score
I’ve never really heard Cooley before. I loved hearing him talk about the game, both teams, the environment, his love for the Big East.
He was very respectful of UConn and acknowledged the loss of Sanogo many times.

Reaction Score

I was curious, so I went to the link you posted. The very next sentence is:

“Cooley was a three-year team captain at Stonehill, and was named to the Northeast-10 Conference academic honor roll. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in history from Stonehill in 1994.” All conference academic honor roll? That’s pretty good. I’m not sure what your point is here.

Reaction Score
I’ve never really heard Cooley before. I loved hearing him talk about the game, both teams, the environment, his love for the Big East.
He was very respectful of UConn and acknowledged the loss of Sanogo many times.
There was no comparison in the two interviews.

Cooley was comfortable, answered questions directly, showed great respect for the league and the impact of Sanogo's loss.

Hurley? Stammering, sounding unsure of himself, admitting not being prepared for switches, maybe feeling pressure with the loss, maybe realizing he's doing what he did last year with AS.

Three healthy reserves sat while two of the three reserves used, the veterans, went 1-10 for three points, three rebounds and three assists in 38 minutes. Of course, JH didn't light it up either.

If you're RD watching 3 turnovers and 0 points in 14 minutes from the guard taking your minutes, or SJ watching 1 for 7 shooting in 24 minutes from the small forward taking your minutes you just might be wondering why you're on the team.

Reaction Score

“Cooley was a three-year team captain at Stonehill, and was named to the Northeast-10 Conference academic honor roll. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in history from Stonehill in 1994.” All conference academic honor roll? That’s pretty good. I’m not sure what your point is here.

I think it's totally reasonable to point out that it's unusual to score too low (probably sub 800) twice, then 900, then 1390.

You dont find that unusual ? Nothing to see here ? There are no accusations...just pointing out something that probably doesn't happen very often.

Reaction Score
Maybe someone took it for him the first time then he finally sat for it and knocked it out

Reaction Score
Meh. Someone pointed it out and it was an interesting anomaly. It was ages ago and I wouldn’t hold it against him even if I knew he cheated. We all seem to like Cooley.

Reaction Score

It's possible Cooley didn't bother taking the SAT's seriously the first three tries and just filled in letter C on every question. Then he actually read the questions on his 4th try and nailed it. Maybe he's very smart, or maybe he's not that smart and worked his arse off to make the honor roll with a lot of help from tutors. Unusual, nevertheless. Just an observation.

Reaction Score
I’m with you. I like Cooley but 1390 is a very high score. Back then 1390 put you in Ivy League range. A 1390 then was like a 1490 now. You don’t go from ineligible to Harvard on the SAT.

Today he wouldn't even have to take those biased tests to get into Harvard

Reaction Score
Basically that it wasn't the right game for him defensively. Seems alot of these recent games ....
Didn’t he block 2 shots in first half and got crowd going in first half with those blocks ??? Don’t get why he didn’t play anymore

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with Hurley about Akok. He drifted aimlessly on offense, lost his man a few times on defense, did his normal costly sagging off three point shooters. BUT, if Hurley thinks he doesn’t bear responsibility for a lot of the garbage we saw tonight, someone should remind him to re-watch his UMES postgame presser and listen to his own words. Year 4. His shtick is beginning to look tired. Needs to be called out for it.

Didn’t he block 2 shots in first half and got crowd going in first half with those blocks ??? Don’t get why he didn’t play anymore
But Polley is in the same boat and gets 20+ minutes. Even if Akok "drifted" you don't play him the rest of the game?????? Coach needs to make his point clear to his players issues then put them back in and see if it hit home. Got to throw them a bone. No pun intended.

Reaction Score
But Polley is in the same boat and gets 20+ minutes. Even if Akok "drifted" you don't play him the rest of the game?????? Coach needs to make his point clear to his players issues then put them back in and see if it hit home. Got to throw them a bone. No pun intended.
I didn’t mention Polley in my post. It’s obvious he is not performing to expectations. I have no argument with what you are saying. But Akok’s two blocks last night don’t give him a pass for playing 15 minutes and going 0-1 from the field. He wandered aimlessly on offense and was a non-factor, as he has been in many games this season. I love the kid and love his attitude. I don’t put all the blame on him. Staff clearly has not figured out how to utilize him and his skills effectively on offense. But 0-1 doesn’t get it done.

Reaction Score
I didn’t mention Polley in my post. It’s obvious he is not performing to expectations. I have no argument with what you are saying. But Akok’s two blocks last night don’t give him a pass for playing 15 minutes and going 0-1 from the field. He wandered aimlessly on offense and was a non-factor, as he has been in many games this season. I love the kid and love his attitude. I don’t put all the blame on him. Staff clearly has not figured out how to utilize him and his skills effectively on offense. But 0-1 doesn’t get it done.
I was aware that you did not mention Polley. I was just making an observation. Hurley subbed Polley for Akok. Polley was 1-7 and was not much better on D. But to not put Akok back in again is perplexing to me regardless of what transpired earlier. Agree with you regards to staff not utilizing Akok properly offensively.

Reaction Score
AJ had a good game too, even if people are overvaluing defensive rebounds.
If Jackson doesn't get those 14 defensive rebounds, Providence probably scores another 10-15 points minimum. Most of his rebounds seem to happen when he outfights (or out-jumps) opponent players under the basket, thereby saving easy putbacks. He has been a revelation since Sanogo has been out, becoming a very aggressive rebounder who pushes the ball up the floor better than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe it when he said he didn't know Huggins had switched into a 1-3-1 defense at the end of the game in his WVU presser. These pressers are getting more and more depressing. He doesn't seem to acknowledge there's a problem and the reporters never ask the questions we all want answered.
I finally watched the post interview and he did it again at the 7:14 time frame. He indicated that he has not seen Providence in the 2 -3 zone so far this year. I would think he needs to get ready for a lot of defenses that he has not seen, especially since we do not have very good outside shooters. Teams are going to revert to these type of defenses more often through out the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom