Hurley Postgame | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Watched the interview on ESPN postgame & Hurley doubled down on what he expects from Bouk. Says with the start he had, this should’ve been a 27-30 point outing for him & he needs to be more consistent. Should be one of the best guards in the country & I agree with his take. Same time tho, when was the last time we had a guy go for 18 & 7 only for his coach to essentially say he needs to play better?
Gritty win & exciting times!

Reaction Score
Through 3 games Bouknight reminds me of Caron sophomore year. Not in the style of play but the fact that he's the best player on the team but he doesn't realize yet that he needs to be more assertive and has the ability to take over. Remember half way through Caron's sophomore season they were saying he wasn't ready for the NBA and then he really took off and was tremendous down the stretch. With the Huskies struggling to score in the second half they needed Bouknight to assert himself more and take over. Hopefully they get him to be assertive and dominate entire games because he has that ability.

Reaction Score
Anyone have the postgame press conference?

Reaction Score
Through 3 games Bouknight reminds me of Caron sophomore year. Not in the style of play but the fact that he's the best player on the team but he doesn't realize yet that he needs to be more assertive and has the ability to take over. Remember half way through Caron's sophomore season they were saying he wasn't ready for the NBA and then he really took off and was tremendous down the stretch. With the Huskies struggling to score in the second half they needed Bouknight to assert himself more and take over. Hopefully they get him to be assertive and dominate entire games because he has that ability.

Great take.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Bouk isn’t getting the calls that Kemba and Shabazz got, he is very good at drawing fouls or what look to be fouls, he should be getting an easy 7-8 points at the line every game. Maybe this is a little conspiratorial but I don’t think the officials particularly like Hurley; his antics nor his style of play.

Reaction Score
Hurley is saying “good” is not good enough. True stars dominate for 40 minutes. He’s raising the bar like a good coach should.

Reaction Score
Watched the interview on ESPN postgame & Hurley doubled down on what he expects from Bouk. Says with the start he had, this should’ve been a 27-30 point outing for him & he needs to be more consistent. Should be one of the best guards in the country & I agree with his take. Same time tho, when was the last time we had a guy go for 18 & 7 only for his coach to essentially say he needs to play better?
Gritty win & exciting times!

I agree to a point on Bouk but he can't be expected to do it all when there is no other answers on the floor. Heck USC wasn't even great defensively and yet the only 2 who even had an idea of getting to the rim were he and Martin. Gaff and Cole hardly see the seams never mind the lane - we need more from our PGs to help Bouk get his 27 he needs space. Polley getting in foul trouble and being awful hurts too no other good shooters out there. Cole can shoot but so far can't create his own. Martin and Gaff are eh from the perimeter.

Bouk needs help!

Reaction Score
Through 3 games Bouknight reminds me of Caron's sophomore year. Not in the style of play but the fact that he's the best player on the team but he doesn't realize yet that he needs to be more assertive and has the ability to take over. Remember halfway through Caron's sophomore season they were saying he wasn't ready for the NBA and then he really took off and was tremendous down the stretch. With the Huskies struggling to score in the second half they needed Bouknight to assert himself more and take over. Hopefully, they get him to be assertive and dominate entire games because he has that ability.
I was actually saying the same thing to my brother about him even last year...It is not that he is better than Kemba or other husky players, but he and Caron both came in quite ready, and the dynamics of their teams, allowed them to be go-to players very early on. Some teams get that one and done players, with the exception of Dre, are best players typically have been Junior/Seniors.

Reaction Score
Bouk isn’t getting the calls that Kemba and Shabazz got, he is very good at drawing fouls or what look to be fouls, he should be getting an easy 7-8 points at the line every game. Maybe this is a little conspiratorial but I don’t think the officials particularly like Hurley; his antics nor his style of play.
I don't know that Bouk sells the fouls as well as Kemba or Shabazz, which I feel contributes to this.

Reaction Score

They were established stars. As soon as he gets nationwide respect, he'll get those calls.

Reaction Score
Caron comp is a little too much for me. Caron had a presence, strength and overall game more suited for control than Bouknight. For a UConn comp right now I think cross between Rudy Gay & Lamb is more apt. Not as passive and dependent on a primary as Lamb, not quite as physically dominant as Rudy. I fully expect Bouk to progress during the season & put up better numbers than either of those guys did in their respective soph seasons, vs Gay b/c Bouk will be more assertive, vs Lamb b/d Bouk's role as a more primary & ball dominant offensive option on a young team. By end of year I hope & expect soph Ray Allen will be the comp.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Caron was a "grown ass man" at that point. Prison tough. Rather different. I thought Bouk was plenty assertive early, knew he was the best player on the court (E. Mobley included) and acted like it. USC is well coached and said, enough of that. The rest of the team then let Bouk down. They needed some additional threats to make USC pay, and those didn't come. He had some bad luck too, expected fouls not called and that in and out 3 that should have gone down.

Reaction Score
Caron was a "grown ass man" at that point. Prison tough. Rather different. I thought Bouk was plenty assertive early, knew he was the best player on the court (E. Mobley included) and acted like it. USC is well coached and said, enough of that. The rest of the team then let Bouk down. They needed some additional threats to make USC pay, and those didn't come. He had some bad luck too, expected fouls not called and that in and out 3 that should have gone down.

They were giving Bouk way too much room on the zone in the first half letting him just shoot the 3 over him.

Reaction Score
Caron comp is a little too much for me. Caron had a presence, strength and overall game more suited for control than Bouknight. For a UConn comp right now I think cross between Rudy Gay & Lamb is more apt. Not as passive and dependent on a primary as Lamb, not quite as physically dominant as Rudy. I fully expect Bouk to progress during the season & put up better numbers than either of those guys did in their respective soph seasons, vs Gay b/c Bouk will be more assertive, vs Lamb b/d Bouk's role as a more primary & ball dominant offensive option on a young team. By end of year I hope & expect soph Ray Allen will be the comp.
My comp had nothing to do with their games or their positions. It was to show that sometimes guys who have the ability to dominate and carry a team take a while to understand that they can and should impose their will fully on a game. I don't think Rudy Gay or Lamb ever got that. So my post was to show that Caron did learn how to do that about half way through his sophomore season and that's when I hope it clicks for Bouknight. So the Caron comp was just showing the timing of when he understood that and started doing it.

I don't remember but at what point did Ray Allen end up taking over games? He was a good complimentary piece freshman year but I don't remember how his sophomore year went. He obviously was a dominant force his junior year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I figured someone would say that. My comp had nothing to do with their games. It was to show that sometimes guys who have the ability to dominate and carry a team take a while to understand that they can and should impose their will fully on a game. I don't think Rudy Gay or Lamb ever got that. So my post was to show that Caron did learn how to do that about half way through his sophomore season and that's when I hope it clicks for Bouknight.

I don't remember but at what point did Ray Allen end up taking over games? He was a good complimentary piece freshman year but I don't remember how his sophomore year went. He obviously was a dominant force his junior year.
Ray got it in his sophomore season, especially considering his last game as a sophomore was dropping 36 in an elite 8 game against future nat champs UCLA. But ray had the luxury of not having to really hunt his stuff too much as a sophomore and the points piled up anyway. I would say 95 was our best “ track meet “ team in history. We scored more on primary and secondary breaks than any team I can imagine. Knight pulls rebound outlets to Scheffer look ahead perfect pass to streaking Ray or Donny. 2 points. Automatic.

Reaction Score
But one of the announcers said he tends not to get too animated on the sideline. They may have been 2 of the worst announcers I have ever listened to.

Reaction Score
My comp had nothing to do with their games or their positions. It was to show that sometimes guys who have the ability to dominate and carry a team take a while to understand that they can and should impose their will fully on a game. I don't think Rudy Gay or Lamb ever got that. So my post was to show that Caron did learn how to do that about half way through his sophomore season and that's when I hope it clicks for Bouknight. So the Caron comp was just showing the timing of when he understood that and started doing it.

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. I kind of knew you meant that, but when I got to writing all I could think about was how Caron's game translated more towards a stabilizing force in almost all facets.

I can't remember Ray's sophomore year either, was that they year they lost to Miss St? I do remember that in his freshman year he was electrifying and would often dominant games during his minutes in a microwave sort of fashion. This was both more possible & impressive because it was a really good team and he was surrounded by really good players who could facilitate but didn't necessarily need him.

Reaction Score
But one of the announcers said he tends not to get too animated on the sideline. They may have been 2 of the worst announcers I have ever listened to.

I commented in the chat, but the color guy was just weird and added nothing.

He was hem and hewing about whether or not he saw things, went into a weird jazz club whisper at times, and kept wondering why the game had no flow (Not exactly a mystery... there are no fans, USC was in zone, and we were fouling every possession).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
They were giving Bouk way too much room on the zone in the first half letting him just shoot the 3 over him.
Because 'the book' on Bouk says that he's not a big threat from three, and if you guard him too close, hell be at the rim dunking it before you can catch up.
They threw out the book and adjusted. I think if he'd started driving hard every time they covered him closely after that, he might have gotten EM into a foul situation. If the refs were honest, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom