Hurley post game presser PCU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley post game presser PCU

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, I'm with you. Sounded like sour grapes to me.
Forget about the Connecticut comments did you hear the passive aggressive throwing his kids under the bus?

Ed Cooley:
This loss is on me.
….because my team didn’t execute

This loss is 100% on me.
…. Because my guys didn’t follow the scout.

(My bench didn’t under perform)
…. I just shouldn’t have substituted.

What a world class this guy is. Periodically, I find myself having respect for Cooley, but then he reminds me of who he is.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Forget about the Connecticut comments did you hear the passive aggressive throwing his kids under the bus?

Ed Cooley:
This loss is on me.

This loss is 100% on me.

What a world class this guy is. Periodically, I find myself having respect for Cooley, but then he reminds me of who he is.

I thought he had a point about our fans until I read of the Providence students throwing beer cans, and the AD having to get on the PA telling them to knock it off.

The only winner in my mind is the Providence AD. Class act.

With that said, the duck you chants should never happen again. Not sure what point it happened, but our AD should have gotten on the PA and told them to stop.

Reaction Score
That was my take exactly.

I also am a bit irritated by the "fortunate to have success" comment. It sounded like he was claiming the only difference between the two schools in terms of hardware earned was due to luck.

They've accomplished a fraction of what we have yet he's speaking as if we need to be lectured by them on how to do things.
Sounds like Ed is a bit jealous of the Huskies!!! Really hope we see them on Thursday at MSG

Reaction Score

Ed Cooley:
This loss is on me.

This loss is 100% on me.

I like Ed Cooley a ton and respect what he has done and accomplished so far in his career at PC and what he does for that Providence community. I didn't listen to his entire press conference, but if that is what he said, my reaction is "not good".

I remember 2 years ago in the bubble in the first round of the BE tournament when they lost to DePaul (UConn crushed DePaul in the 2nd round), Ed walked off into the locker room with 30 seconds remaining. That was a terrible look. I understood why he did it because he was rightfully disgusted by how his team played and that David Duke showed no leadership in that game among many other factors, but still it was a bad look for Cooley.

CL82

Reaction Score
I thought he had a point about our fans until I read of the Providence students throwing beer cans, and the AD having to get on the PA telling them to knock it off.

The only winner in my mind is the Providence AD. Class act.

With that said, the duck you chants should never happen again. Not sure what point it happened, but our AD should have gotten on the PA and told them to stop.
False equivalence. Salty chants doesn’t injure players. Throwing cans potentially does.

Yeah, I’d rather they choose another way to expressed their righteous distain for providence. But college kids sensibilities are different than middle-age guy sensibilities. If the A.D. decides he wants to address it, the time to do it isn’t in the middle of the game, taking the air out of the joint calling attention to it.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What was the question Cooley was asked? Without knowing the question it is hard to reconcile the answer.
Considering the added context, the answer sounds much less like sour grapes, but sour grapes nonetheless.

After four national championships in 15 years, I think UConn fans are entitled to our rekindled and building confidence. Particularly given our program's performance in Ollies final years. Of course it would seem like arrogance to a program that hasn't been there, but do you know what I didn't see last night? A single $2 beer bottle being hurled in the stands or on the court. Because that is also what Providence does.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
False equivalence. Salty chants doesn’t injure players. Throwing cans potentially does.

Yeah, I’d rather they choose another way to expressed their righteous distain for providence. But college kids sensibilities are different than middle-age guy sensibilities. If the A.D. decides he wants to address it, the time to do it isn’t in the middle of the game, taking the air out of the joint calling attention to it.

Faulty chants are embarrassing, and make the fan base, and the team look foolish.

The time to address a problem is when it happens.

CL82

Reaction Score
Faulty chants are embarrassing, and make the fan base, and the team look foolish.

The time to address a problem is when it happens.
Agree to disagree. Having the A.D. get on the PA system to address it in the closing minutes of a game would be a really bad look. Kind of the same flavor of those parents who go out of their way to loudly yell at their kids publicly. It is in effective in intended to soothe the parents embarrassment more than address the issue.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Having the A.D. get on the PA system to address it in the closing minutes of a game would be a really bad look. Kind of the same flavor of those parents who go out of their way to loudly yell at their kids publicly. It is in effective in intended to soothe the parents embarrassment more than address the issue.

If an AD is worried about looking bad, he doesn't deserve the job.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Ed Cooley:
This loss is on me.

This loss is 100% on me.

His media skills are part of his package.

In the full interview, once he stakes out the two poles, "It's 100%, even 1000% percent me, and I'm going to coach them up & love them up over the next 72 hours, and I promise you'll see different and better..." and "UConn played great, truly an A+ game...," he's created lots of space to say just about anything he wants, which he did.

We, of course, are free to call BS and poke at the holes, but he's not going to get too challenged any further by the press who will point to or be pointed to his 'full assumption of responsibility' and his 'gentlemanly high compliment toward the winning team.' New day, starting today...

Never lose site that part of his mission is charging up the fans as well as the players, regional rivalry-building, capturing mindshare within & for the conference, and generating positive press, especially as he pursues permanent fixturedom in his hometown. He's quite well-regarded at his game, and his partisans helped to have this board wrapped in its own stuff for the past several days.

The 'sneaky' pot-stirrers aren't here this morning with posts that say, "I'm so happy about how we played last night." Their play acting as UConn fans semi-expired last night; it'll be back for the BET. They gave it their best shot, and won some Likes on both helpful data and doubting opinions that mirrored our collective/selective insecurities.

I fell asleep about halfway through reading the UConn Game thread on the ScoutFriars board, where I saw posts by guys with names like FriarJ and ADub. I searched it out and visited for the first time pre-game because I wondered what kind of fansite would a team have that could make it seem worthwhile to post elsewhere.

There's so much more posting variety and volume (and volatility) here that it's no wonder that 'visitors' can & do come here with the extra time available from a less active fan site. But my visit yesterday afternoon took some of the pre-game edge off. I can see strengths in Providence's program and its success this season and the year before.

I can also see ways in which they leveraged last year's Sanogo-less XL victory, plus the lack of a rematch due to COVID-related matters, plus January's second half in Providence into their appearance as a giant. Last night rebalanced things. They still play hard, have a good mix of players, and an energizing coach. Their initial punches brought out some good things in our Huskies last night. May we continue to build.

CL82

Reaction Score
True, but if he’d allows monetary embarrassment to cause him stupid reactionary things that generate adverse publicity to the school, and that is exactly what calling out the kids during a televised broadcast would be, he should be worried about his job.

JMHO.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
all pretty funny, actually. in another thread, u stated the obvious that 'throwing cans' didn't happen, yet seemingly 100% of the responders start yammerin on aboot 'can stacking.' sheesh.
and speaking aboot classless, the duster video has him talkin aboot clothes 'looking gay' and cursing whenever he wants to sound tuff. low rent.
u should talk to greg over at the Beardsley. he's the zookeeper, and has stories of everything being fine and normal, then the next day, he comes in to find that the bears are no longer interested in honey, and demand only doritos or hotpockets, giraffes who woke up with sciatica and want heating pads, or those typically loopy central American little monkeys who are extra nuts that day cuz it hasn't rained in a couple weeks.
u better be prepared when u go to the next game, as the Right Reverend Billy Saul hans will be at the gate, checking on ur bona fides as a true fan.
tough job managing a menagerie. or mebbe it's boulangerie? patisserie? whatever, all hard to do.

sumone should tell that duster guy his kemba jersey doesn't fit. makes him look all pudgy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
all pretty funny, actually. in another thread, u stated the obvious that 'throwing cans' didn't happen

'Learn to read. I said it didn't happen at last night's game. And it didn't.

Reaction Score
Only gripe is that I wish he would stop referring to St. John’s as a head scratcher and clunker right before we play them in their building.
We should beat St. John's by 20 brother. I dont care what is said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom