Hurley post game presser PCU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley post game presser PCU

Reaction Score
The Friar way??? Sounded like he was lecturing a fanbase and a program(one that has accomplished a lot more than PC or him) when it isn't really his place? Came across like sour grapes. Boeheimesque. I usually don't mind Ed and think he is a solid coach. Thought he got a little emo and too much into his feelings here. Take the L and get on the bus back to PC. If Hurley said that stuff about PC half the UConn fanbase would have a coniption.
Although it would never happen, probably because he isn't aware of it, but he should probably address some of the PC fans. A lot of them after the UConn game in Providence, which I attended, were d-bags, most of them were not however. They were saying F UConn blah blah blah. Not that I was offended per se, I wasn't, but goodness they have some hatred and little brother syndrome. Appreciate the rivalry PC fans-UConn adds much needed value to the Big East.

Reaction Score
It's hard not to like Ed Cooley. What he says is really good here. I find sometimes I get arrogant about the success at UConn, but I usually catch myself before I go too far and appreciate like he says and do whatever you can to support the team to help them get more.

UConn-PC is a great New England rivalry. As much as it would make me want to eat my liver to lose to PC or to Creighton, these rivalries are great, exciting, and entertaining even if losing to them is hurts some. But the real pain is being in the AAC playing the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, South Florida with the apathy and indifference towards those games. I have said this before in other posts, but it really keeps things in perspective.
I find Cooley very affable, but screw those comments. Don't get arrogant and appreciate winning is good advice, but saying "that's what an educated fanbase appreciates, and that's what the Friars do." Let me roll my eyes. They just had to stop a game for their AD to come on the PA and tell their fans to stop throwing beer cans on the court, right?

Reaction Score
I find Cooley very affable, but screw those comments. Don't get arrogant and appreciate winning is good advice, but saying "that's what an educated fanbase appreciates, and that's what the Friars do." Let me roll my eyes. They just had to stop a game for their AD to come on the PA and tell their fans to stop throwing beer cans on the court, right?
Yeah that's right, the Villanova game this past Saturday I remember seeing that. "That's what the Friars do" I must have missed that part. That certainly isn't true for some segment of that fanbase. Cooley won't do it and I understand why, but his message should also be directed at the Friar fans.

Reaction Score
The Friar way??? Sounded like he was lecturing a fanbase and a program(one that has accomplished a lot more than PC or him) when it isn't really his place? Came across like sour grapes. Boeheimesque. I usually don't mind Ed and think he is a solid coach. Thought he got a little emo and too much into his feelings here. Take the L and get on the bus back to PC. If Hurley said that stuff about PC half the UConn fanbase would have a coniption.
I listened to it again and I missed that very last part about "that's what the Friars do". Yeah he should left that part out.

Reaction Score
What was the question that Cooley was answering with those comments? He is not wrong about this fanbase being spoiled but it is a bit odd to hear him saying that, knowing the question would give it context.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That was my take exactly.

I also am a bit irritated by the "fortunate to have success" comment. It sounded like he was claiming the only difference between the two schools in terms of hardware earned was due to luck.

They've accomplished a fraction of what we have yet he's speaking as if we need to be lectured by them on how to do things.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

"Appreciate winning" makes a lot more sense coming from a program that doesn't do it often.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I didn't love his comments. Even if there is a hint of truth to it, I'm not sure he should be the person pointing it out. Seems a little out of his lane. Worry about Providence. Seems a bit petty after a loss and had a backhanded compliment wrapped in an insult kind of vibe to it.

No, I'm with you. Sounded like sour grapes to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That was my take exactly.

I also am a bit irritated by the "fortunate to have success" comment. It sounded like he was claiming the only difference between the two schools in terms of hardware earned was due to luck.

They've accomplished a fraction of what we have yet he's speaking as if we need to be lectured by them on how to do things.

the fortunate to have success doesn't bother me. No one expected what JC did when we hired him. We weren't bringing in Dean Smith, we got a guy from Northeastern and his smarts, grit and will turned UConn in to a powerhouse. Fortunate and maybe "lucky" with the hire but not for the success. Success was earned. JC brought UConn from the bottom to the top during the Thompson, Boeheim, Massimino, Carnesseca years and a host of other good coaches. Timing was not on JC's side.

So, screw Cooley. Bitter about "educated fan bases".

And, if anyone hasn't figured it out yet, yes, PC is UConn current biggest rival.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I think it was somewhat condescending. The haters are a loud minority. You don't see that at the game, you don’t see that when Hurley is announced, you don't see that in ticket prices

And did he really compare the two programs? I like him and think he's doing a great job, but PC fans aim a lot lower than we do. We are spoiled, it is what it is

Reaction Score
What was the bulletin board material Karaban was referring to?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What was the bulletin board material Karaban was referring to?

'Did you say that just to make me watch it five times. I didn't hear him mention bulletin board material. Did someone here post a video?

Reaction Score
I am not a huge fan of the last "that's what the friars do" comment. But in different terms and ways Hurley has said the exact same thing about our fanbase, back when he made veiled comments about the players reading everything on the message board and the impact it has. We're a top 25 team and a lock for an NCAA berth. And were likely going to be that for the upcoming future. Compare that to five years ago. We're relevant, and will be in the hunt for deep BE and NCAA runs with a little luck and solid play. That (happy) reality vs. the pulse of the narrative on this board can be lacking at times (I am at fault of this too).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am not a huge fan of the last "that's what the friars do" comment. But in different terms and ways Hurley has said the exact same thing about our fanbase, back when he made veiled comments about the players reading everything on the message board and the impact it has. We're a top 25 team and a lock for an NCAA berth. And were likely going to be that for the upcoming future. Compare that to five years ago. We're relevant, and will be in the hunt for deep BE and NCAA runs with a little luck and solid play. That (happy) reality vs. the pulse of the narrative on this board can be lacking at times (I am at fault of this too).

I go back to fortunate vs lucky.

Plenty of people work hard and get nowhere past the fat part of the bell curve. An elite few are able to translate work in to results. It's plenty acceptable to recognize others work and try just as hard and don't get the same results.

Lucky to me implies you got more than you should have gotten and I don't believe that fits UConn or its fan base.

I also believe a lot of good luck is putting in the work to get in position to be lucky. Even the craziest and most unlikely buzzer beaters only matter because the teams had competed and were so close that one crazy shot can flip the result. No one cares about a crazy buzzer beater when your down by 20 points.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
What was the question Cooley was asked? Without knowing the question it is hard to reconcile the answer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
“That’s what the Friars do” is meme gold…..
“Never win a national championship”,
“Occasionally make the Tourney”
“Take UConn back-ups”
Fishy alone come with at least a dozen more…
Thank you Ed.
You forgot "make it to the second weekend every few decades"

Reaction Score
'Did you say that just to make me watch it five times. I didn't hear him mention bulletin board material. Did someone here post a video?

Around the 5:20 mark they asked AK about a little extra motivation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom