Hurley Outcoached | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Outcoached

Reaction Score

Hurley needs to apologize now. I wouldn't blame Sanogo if he transferred. He can go anywhere he wants. This is legit malpractice

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hope other coaches don't take notice of Hurley's predisposition to bench his bigs if they go small against UConn.

That would mean like to very game a coach could go small and Huey wouldn't be able to play his bigs.

Man, I hope word of this doesn't get out.
As long as there aren't a half dozen threads on that here, we should be OK.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There is an expanded full quote in the other threads where Sanogo does show he understood only one big was going to play.
But, if Hurley was only going to play one big, why not AS today?
I appreciate your calling attention to this, given that I haven't seen the other threads except Sanogo MIA before coming here.

The excerpt as a standalone prompted my first use of the newly available full palette of emojis.

Reaction Score
Cole and Polley’s on ball perimeter defense really hurt us.

Need Bouknight back ASAP to take the heat off of them. No one on the roster can take over like he can.
I didn't think cole was half bad on defense. Now gaffney was horrible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I appreciate your calling attention to this, given that I haven't seen the other threads except Sanogo MIA before coming here.

The excerpt as a standalone prompted my first use of the newly available full palette of emojis.

You put more effort in to emoji match ups to comments and threads than DH did with his players in this afternoon's debacle.

Reaction Score
There is an expanded full quote in the other threads where Sanogo does show he understood only one big was going to play.
But, if Hurley was only going to play one big, why not AS today?

One big, why? Whaley can guard better than Polley for sure who wasn't making shots and got beat every time on D. I mean everyone got beat off the dribble, how about at least creating a mismatch on the other end with Sanogo in the game. And honestly down 2 and a time out, to come back on the court needing a hoop and him not on the floor absolutely ridiculous! People calling for an apology I thought were nuts but you know what it may be that obvious. Might want to call Clingans dad too and tell him you had a brainfart.

Reaction Score
I didn't think cole was half bad on defense. Now gaffney was horrible.

Maybe his worst game on D but he played it hard even when beat, made a couple plays but not good at all their guards used us. Better start practicing some 2-3, 1-3-1 because it may be the answer once in a while.

Reaction Score
Maybe his worst game on D but he played it hard even when beat, made a couple plays but not good at all their guards used us. Better start practicing some 2-3, 1-3-1 because it may be the answer once in a while.
Yeah what was puzzling is that there was no help defense when our guards got.beat off the dribble. Just a weird defense we played today. I think Hurley was just outcoached today.

Reaction Score
Not sure I’m following your logic, we have more talented players, but we should lose because they match up better against a lineup that we can change at any time. This just means poor coaching decisions to me.
I’ll dumb it down for you.

When they went small they played better than us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One big, why? Whaley can guard better than Polley for sure who wasn't making shots and got beat every time on D. I mean everyone got beat off the dribble, how about at least creating a mismatch on the other end with Sanogo in the game. And honestly down 2 and a time out, to come back on the court needing a hoop and him not on the floor absolutely ridiculous! People calling for an apology I thought were nuts but you know what it may be that obvious. Might want to call Clingans dad too and tell him you had a brainfart.

I totally disagree with how Hurley coached the last 10 minutes. Ego, hubris or stubborness, he got punked.

I was just trying to tamp down some of the immediate reaction to the original shortened quote about Sanogo wanting more minutes down the stretch.

Reaction Score
It makes zero sense, as you point out Whaley is nothing like a typical big defender. You can easily play him with Sanogo who was the best player on the court. Sanogo played 17 minutes and Josh only played 3 minutes. Adams played 30 minutes. Hurley is managing to play to our weaknesses and alienating our bigs.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Stop with the transfer absurdity.

Sanogo hasn’t been consistent and we have a deep roster, with more senior bigs. Sanogo can to continue to dominate when in and earn more.
The reaction today from our fan base is insufferable and embarrassing. If Sanogo should transfer because he didn’t play in the last 10, should Hurley resign and take his stellar recruiting classes because UConn has better coaching options on a website?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’ll dumb it down for you.

When they went small they played better than us.

I made the comment that Hurley coached this somewhere out of hubris, stubbornness and ego.

He coached like he wanted to prove he could put a better small ball team out there than SJU could put out there. And he lost. Bigly.

Instead of putting the best team out there to exploit the opponents' weaknesses, he tried to coach against their strengths.

Reaction Score
I made the comment that Hurley coached this somewhere out of hubris, stubbornness and ego.

He coached like he wanted to prove he could put a better small ball team out there than SJU could put out there. And he lost. Bigly.

Instead of putting the best team out there to exploit the opponents' weaknesses, he tried to coach against their strengths.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
Timeouts and free throws.....all things Jim Calhoun should know a thing or two about.

Give him a ring for some advice.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Akok isn’t the answer right now, anyone can see that. He’s just not up to speed. Sanogo not going back in is obviously the big qualm. That’s inexplicable.
Actually I don't se anything in Akok at all. Last year a few right moments then hurt. This might be another AG story.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You put more effort in to emoji match ups to comments and threads than DH did with his players in this afternoon's debacle.
He has a lot of options, and managing who is on the floor (and when) will be his biggest learning this year, even without Jackson, Bouknight, and (so far, pretty much) Akok. I hope he doesn't think he had a good day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom