Hurley on PMT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley on PMT

Reaction Score
Hurley's comments were NOT news. He has consistently said the same thing since he has been at UConn. His goal was clearly stated as wanting to coach at the NBA level. He has said this for years.

In the meantime, he's having the time of his life. He still needs to pay attention. Ollie is a cautionary tale. Just because we got to the top of the hill is no guarantee we will maintain this level. He needs to do that before he worries about the future. The future will get here, it always does. But to be the future Hurley has set as a goal requires do a darn good job here first.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It should be clear to everyone that Hurley is ambitious as hell. Consider all the "little brother/son finally has his moment" pieces that were written over the last 2 weeks. This is a guy with a chip on his shoulder the size of Gibraltar and plans to match. Listen to the Andrea Hurley Field of 68 podcast where she basically described Dan like Hamilton: He's never satisfied.

But he's not impulsive. He's systematic. He climbed from HS coach to D1 coach. From low to mid major. From mid to high major. UConn is a destination job, though. It's not a ladder rung job. There's nowhere to go in college. But Dan has to have somewhere to go. He's gotta have a goal. And I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he had to watch his brother play in the NBA for a while and he never got there. So yeah. NBA. But not yet. When he's ready.

If Dan wins #2 in the next 5 years, the temptation to try to match JC with #3 will be strong. If the next few years are good but come up short, he could be tempted to try the NBA. Dan is correct that he needs to mellow out if he has any chance of succeeding with NBA players. The NBA isn't a now or even a near term issue.

Reaction Score
He still needs to pay attention. Ollie is a cautionary tale. Just because we got to the top of the hill is no guarantee we will maintain this level. He needs to do that before he worries about the future.
I agree with your comment overall Pal but Ollie brought his divorce to work. Dan and Andrea still hold hands. ;) :D

Kidding aside I wonder why one would even want to coach in the NBA. The players determine how things are run more than the coach and make way much more money.
The average salary in the NBA is 3.5 mill, Dan is getting near that already with the ability to make all decisions. Close to home so dad gets to all the home games. He likes the other coaches and they seem to be happy living here. Don't see him leaving the college basketball capital of the world any time soon.
There is also this......
The average current tenure length in the NBA is 2.4 seasons. That's the equivalent of a coach being hired around January 2012. Popovich, who is finishing up his 18th season in San Antonio, obviously skews things long. If you look at only the 29 non-Spurs teams, the average current tenure is just 1.9 seasons.Mar 31, 2023

Reaction Score
Kidding aside I wonder why one would even want to coach in the NBA.

I think there’s a lot of reasons but not having to deal with recruiting has to be a huge one. Even if you are good at recruiting, just the time it takes

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hurley's comments were NOT news. He has consistently said the same thing since he has been at UConn. His goal was clearly stated as wanting to coach at the NBA level. He has said this for years.

In the meantime, he's having the time of his life. He still needs to pay attention. Ollie is a cautionary tale. Just because we got to the top of the hill is no guarantee we will maintain this level. He needs to do that before he worries about the future. The future will get here, it always does. But to be the future Hurley has set as a goal requires do a darn good job here first.
He’s gotten rid of some of his personal demons. I’m not sure he’s having the time of his life. My observation is he’s putting pressure on himself to put together a team and program that can continue the success that happened this year.

He has not taken any personal time since the NC and he will be limping into that small window in May that is off time.

He’s out to prove this season wasn’t a fluke. Whether he’s successful or not time will tell. But it won’t be for a lack of effort.

Reaction Score
The best way to keep Dan Hurley here is to constantly challenge him to win more titles than the greatest men’s coach in UConn history, Jim Calhoun. He loves a challenge and having something to be insecure about. Right now, he’s tied with KO. He can do better than that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No crap, Sherlock. What makes you say his eyes aren't still on the prize? Or are you just saying?

Reaction Score
Every basketball coach dreams of winning an NBA championship and coaching the all-time greats. Hurley just answered honestly whereas most coaches will deflect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom