Hurley on other jobs: "I haven't thought about it for a second." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on other jobs: "I haven't thought about it for a second."

Reaction Score
For context, here's the tweet he sent after last season:

That’s such a typical post. Sources say Hurley excited to make 2.5-3Mm pet to leaf the next phase of UConn dominance, #tentoesin

Reaction Score
I dunno - I'll break from popular sentiment a bit. I hate picking an obviously good coach from an obviously good situation for him and a smaller fan base. I hate it. I'd love to have him and it's his choice, but there'll always be a part of me that has a level of remorse about it. Because I remember what that felt like to be them. I'm not a stomp on another fan base - never mind another New England fan base - to win more basketball games. I hate people being smug about it. I'd love to have him. But this whole situation - we lost a coach under an umbrella of deep disappointment because he was an absolute evangelical UConn guy who played well here, won a national championship and failed after that. And I feel awful for him. And because of that, we're whacking another program in New England and taking their transformative guy.

I want him to make a good decision for him. And if it's staying there, good on him. I'm happy for him. If it's here, then great - but I'm sad for the URI fanbase. This area of the world has been relentlessly raped, looked over and thrown in a ditch when it comes to college hoops. I felt every second of UConn (and the Big East's) rise to prominence and how hard of an accomplishment that was - and how hard it's been for the break up of the real Big East. I want him to coach here, badly. But a sliver of me is sad for northeast college hoops. Because they're in line for more mediocrity because of our failures.

Reaction Score
I'd be upset if Hurley thought about Uconn a lot. What a horrible thing to do to his current kids and what an indicator of his personality.

Good on him for focusing on URI. He's got a few days to figure out the Uconn thing and make a decision.

I really like your take on this. We would expect no less from our coach. Give your team everything you've got and wait until the off season to consider other opportunities. And if Hurley stays at URI, I will be disappointed as a UConn fan, but it might cause me to respect him even more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dunno - I'll break from popular sentiment a bit. I hate picking an obviously good coach from an obviously good situation for him and a smaller fan base. I hate it. I'd love to have him and it's his choice, but there'll always be a part of me that has a level of remorse about it. Because I remember what that felt like to be them. I'm not a stomp on another fan base - never mind another New England fan base - to win more basketball games. I hate people being smug about it. I'd love to have him. But this whole situation - we lost a coach under an umbrella of deep disappointment because he was an absolute evangelical UConn guy who played well here, won a national championship and failed after that. And I feel awful for him. And because of that, we're whacking another program in New England and taking their transformative guy.

I want him to make a good decision for him. And if it's staying there, good on him. I'm happy for him. If it's here, then great - but I'm sad for the URI fanbase. This area of the world has been relentlessly raped, looked over and thrown in a ditch when it comes to college hoops. I felt every second of UConn (and the Big East's) rise to prominence and how hard of an accomplishment that was - and how hard it's been for the break up of the real Big East. I want him to coach here, badly. But a sliver of me is sad for northeast college hoops. Because they're in line for more mediocrity because of our failures.

If he didn’t go to UConn he’d go somewhere else.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Any tinge of that sentiment in 1986? Not sayin' ( I agree with the second part of your post., just sayin.

Calhoun was in the exact same position, but more entrenched. He had won 250 games at NU, in an era when they didn't play nearly as many in a season.

Reaction Score
I dunno - I'll break from popular sentiment a bit. I hate picking an obviously good coach from an obviously good situation for him and a smaller fan base. I hate it. I'd love to have him and it's his choice, but there'll always be a part of me that has a level of remorse about it.

Any remorse when Toner hired a young coach named Jim Calhoun away from Northeastern?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom