Hurley on Josh Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley on Josh Carlton

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Carlton will be a very important player for us his senior year. It's unfortunate he's not where the team needs him to be, but that's not his fault. He didn't run the program into the ground and create a bunch of transfers out. He's supposed to be backing up Enoch who is averaging 9.5 and 5.3 in 19 minutes, not starting. He could match those numbers next year.

I'd change this to, 'important role player'. Josh should never be starting on a good Huskies team, which is what we aspire to be. On a great team, he's a 3rd center.

I'd like to see him bulk up significantly, since his quickness will never be above average and he can't get off the floor anyway.

He needs to learn to be a bully, both mentally and physically.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think people may be overreacting about losing Kofi. Obviously if this was Hurley’s 5th year or something then yeah, be disappointed. But Carlton’s recent improvements show that he’ll only turn into a serviceable Big for us later this year and next year. Thus taking away some of the Kofi sting away.

He's a backup at best man. On a good team, you've got a guy with elite athleticism, better skills, and high end motor.

Reaction Score
I'd change this to, 'important role player'. Josh should never be starting on a good Huskies team, which is what we aspire to be. On a great team, he's a 3rd center.

I'd like to see him bulk up significantly, since his quickness will never be above average and he can't get off the floor anyway.

He needs to learn to be a bully, both mentally and physically.
He’s got two more years FFS. The way some of our fans just write of players as if they can’t develop still amazes me to this day.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He’s got two more years FFS. The way some of our fans just write of players as if they can’t develop still amazes me to this day.

I'm not writing him off. Nor am I saying he's trash. The reality is this: limited athleticism, limited height. Those won't change. And that puts a big ceiling on what you can be.

I assume we are trying to be a top 10 team. Is that not what we expect?

In order to have a great team, we'll need a starter who is bigger, with more athleticism, higher motor, and more skills. Or a couple of those traits at least.

I assumed we were trying to get blue blood type players. If we had Kofi for three years, Josh would no longer be a starter. Correct?

Reaction Score
If we had Kofi for three years, Josh would no longer be a starter. Correct?
I wasn't as high on Kofi as most on this board. He's huge, but he's not explosive (but has very long arms which helps) and isn't particularly agile. I've posted that there is a huge difference in game speed between HS and college. While I 100% wanted him at UConn, I wasn't sold that he'd come in and start right away, nor was I confident he could stay out of foul trouble.

Couple that with Josh's progression, and no, I'm not willing to concede that Josh would no longer start if we had Kofi. I'm not saying it's impossible, only that I don't think it's a "given".

Reaction Score
God no. Only time I'm ok with playing more zone is when we don't have enough guys able to play (like 2 years ago).
I thought the zone was effective last game. No reason to totally discount it. I will be surprised if we don’t see it a little the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
He has some skills. The issue will always be conditioning and doing whatever he can to improve his agility and athleticism. The footwork is there, but he is so slow in making his move that a defender can recover. He's obviously a four-year guy and if we are where we think we will be, he will be a very useful backup at the four and five.

Reaction Score
Obviously the offensive numbers and efficiency (153 ORtg, 10 PTS, 4-5 FG, 2-2 FT) were good vs. Cincy, but something I found just as encouraging is that he was able to play 35 minutes matched up against Brooks who was very active Saturday. Typically I'd expect him to foul out before playing that much. On the year he has averaged 6.0 PF/40. With our depth lacking in the front court, it'll be important that he stays out on the floor.

Agreed. Need to avoid the early fouls. When he gets them, he seems to shut down and be less aggressive, which feeds on itself.

Reaction Score
I'm not writing him off. Nor am I saying he's trash. The reality is this: limited athleticism, limited height. Those won't change. And that puts a big ceiling on what you can be.

In order to have a great team, we'll need a starter who is bigger, with more athleticism, higher motor, and more skills. Or a couple of those traits at least.

I assumed we were trying to get blue blood type players. If we had Kofi for three years, Josh would no longer be a starter. Correct?
Most of what you have written can be overcome with toughness. He didn't get taller or more athletic against Cinny. He simply was more willing to mix it up, to go after tough rebounds, he played tougher.

Toughness is not to be under valued. Lyman DePriest was one of the best defenders in our history. His attitude made him more than the sum his parts. The same is true of Josh. He is Easy Josh right. Tough Josh would be a very big asset to this team.

Reaction Score
Kids with size and athleticism typically don't stick around for 4 years, so if you want a savvy senior big man, there have to be some limitations to his game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kids with size and athleticism typically don't stick around for 4 years, so if you want a savvy senior big man, there have to be some limitations to his game.

That's the point. You get kids who stick around for 2 or 3 years. Those are the kids who should be starting on a high end D1 team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I thought the zone was effective last game. No reason to totally discount it. I will be surprised if we don’t see it a little the rest of the year.

A sprinkle of zone is fine. Any more, and I start to get queezy.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I don't think even the best version of Josh is a final four caliber starting center. But I do think he can be good enough for a sweet sixteen caliber team if all the other pieces are there. Assuming he continues to improve

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't think even the best version of Josh is a final four caliber starting center. But I do think he can be good enough for a sweet sixteen caliber team if all the other pieces are there. Assuming he continues to improve

I don't think we have any idea what his best version is. If he develops and right and left hand hook and hits it with the regularity of Kareem, yeah, he can start on a final four team. It sure as hell isn't something that will require extreme athleticism. You can go a long way with learned skills and added strength. He can do those things. Hell, if he would just rebound, defend and draw fouls on opposing bigs and hit FTs it would be huge.

Reaction Score
He will continue to develop. He can get stronger and it will help but this board is obsessed with having body builders. The game isn't played that way anymore. It would be more productive if he developed a jump shot.

Reaction Score
He will continue to develop. He can get stronger and it will help but this board is obsessed with having body builders. The game isn't played that way anymore. It would be more productive if he developed a jump shot.
Obsessed with having bodybuilders? We've had one of the physically weakest teams around the past several years. Saying our kids need to get stronger and wanting them to be boydbuilders are two entirely different things.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have any idea what his best version is. If he develops and right and left hand hook and hits it with the regularity of Kareem, yeah, he can start on a final four team. It sure as hell isn't something that will require extreme athleticism. You can go a long way with learned skills and added strength. He can do those things. Hell, if he would just rebound, defend and draw fouls on opposing bigs and hit FTs it would be huge.
I think it's safe to say he's not going to develop a hook shot that's comparable to the greatest hook shot of all-time. SMH.

Reaction Score
Obsessed with having bodybuilders? We've had one of the physically weakest teams around the past several years. Saying our kids need to get stronger and wanting them to be boydbuilders are two entirely different things.
I swear some people don't watch anything but UConn games. We have been so small compared to the good teams in college basketball over the last few years.

Reaction Score

We also haven't had a big guy that can step out and shoot, which is something that many other teams have. We also haven't had big guys that could pass when the defense collapses until signs of having that this season. I want our guys to get stronger. But basketball talent matters the most.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say he's not going to develop a hook shot that's comparable to the greatest hook shot of all-time. SMH.

Of course not. Nor is he going to be over 7 feet tall with the long arms and ability to elevate that Kareem had.

But he made a nice little baby hook against Cinci. He can definitely improve on it, and turn it into a weapon. Its the kind of thing less athletic guys have been using to succeed for years. I think the more athletic guys often fail to really develop those old school back to the basket moves. I'm just pointing out that you can very effective in the paint without great leaping ability or quickness. Kevin McHale sure was (again...no he is not going to become Kevin McHale). I just think his ceiling, if he really, really works hard at it, is higher than you might think.

Reaction Score
I swear some people don't watch anything but UConn games. We have been so small compared to the good teams in college basketball over the last few years.

I don't know how anyone could watch only UConn games the past three years and NOT see the size difference.

I watched Georgetown-Providence the other day and the first thing that hit me was 'wow, compared to the AAC this looks like Men playing.'

Because, well.

Reaction Score
Hasn’t been a straight upward line, but he’s managed to raise the bar to a height where an incoming recruit will have to be a lot more accomplished to win the starting center position than Josh had to be last year.
Being here another 2 1/2 years allows Hurley the luxury of pursuing higher rated center prospects during that time knowing if he strikes out he’s still able to put Josh out there at center.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The game is changing a bit, sure. Much more so at the NBA level though. A dominant old school banger can still crush it in college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom