Hurley on Josh Carlton | The Boneyard

Hurley on Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley’s seeing production, toughness from Josh Carlton; AAC coaches tout league parity - Hartford Courant
“This is really kind of Josh’s freshman year,” Hurley said Monday, leading off the first of the season’s monthly conference calls with AAC coaches. “I know he’s a sophomore, but he didn’t play consistent minutes last year. This is the first time in his college career he is being asked to have the role he’s been asked to have, baptism by fire. He’s taken some lumps, learned some hard lessons. He’s starting to understand the motor, intensity level you have to come out with.”

“The activity level he’s played with,” Hurley said, “the challenge is, can he take the step for is, where we’d have somebody we can through the ball inside to? He’s improving defensively, his work on the backboard, can we take even another step?”

Reaction Score
Last game was a good sign. He has great footwork; however, do I feel confident that we can throw it down to him and he will get a bucket? Hell no...or not yet anyways.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I love Carlton's skillset and potential. But he simply hasn't shown up against good competition this year and continues to commit silly fouls. He's just not dependable enough to generate offense down low against good teams. While he's certainly skilled offensively, he has a lot to improve on (motor, not fouling, defense, strength, etc.).

Josh has great promise for his age, but considering Hurley's standards and demand from his players, this statement feels like a bit of a cop-out and excuses being made for him. Maybe that's how Hurley needs to motivate him? Just doesn't seem consistent with Hurley's MO.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His limitation on offense is the same as the rest of the team, can he make an aggressive move knowing he's going to get clobbered, instead of trying to be overly cute in avoiding contact.

With the possible exception of turnovers, the biggest weakness this team has is its frustrating inability to draw fouls in the paint. Instead several players make crazy acrobatic moves to avoid that contact lead by Jalen. Shield the ball, take the contact, then shoot.

Reaction Score
Obviously the offensive numbers and efficiency (153 ORtg, 10 PTS, 4-5 FG, 2-2 FT) were good vs. Cincy, but something I found just as encouraging is that he was able to play 35 minutes matched up against Brooks who was very active Saturday. Typically I'd expect him to foul out before playing that much. On the year he has averaged 6.0 PF/40. With our depth lacking in the front court, it'll be important that he stays out on the floor.

Reaction Score
I love Carlton's skillset and potential. But he simply hasn't shown up against good competition this year and continues to commit silly fouls. He's just not dependable enough to generate offense down low against good teams. While he's certainly skilled offensively, he has a lot to improve on (motor, not fouling, defense, strength, etc.).

Josh has great promise for his age, but considering Hurley's standards and demand from his players, this statement feels like a bit of a cop-out and excuses being made for him. Maybe that's how Hurley needs to motivate him? Just doesn't seem consistent with Hurley's MO.
Kind of negative comments considering that Josh Carlton just had his 2 best games against good competition. I was really impressed in the Cincy game were he had some big rebounds and was able to use his strength to make a couple tough baskets. I hope this improvement continues as we will need him the rest of the season to for inside offense and defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Josh didn't play consistent minutes last year or earlier this year for a few reasons - foul trouble, lack of toughness and looking lost
What we saw vs Cinci was extremely encouraging, but, are we seeing an awakening or is this the Cobb vs Cuse and Iowa part deux?
I think he has the ability to be a very good big man but he needs to work hard at getting stronger, making better decisions and gaining better footwork - added muscle will give him the confidence to block out
UConn needs him to be better
The Cinci match was a very good launching pad.

Reaction Score
Love to see some improvement from Sid on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
I am rooting hard for Josh. So glad he's stepped up the past couple games.

“This is really kind of Josh’s freshman year,” Hurley said Monday, leading off the first of the season’s monthly conference calls with AAC coaches. “I know he’s a sophomore, but he didn’t play consistent minutes last year. This is the first time in his college career he is being asked to have the role he’s been asked to have, baptism by fire.

This is interesting to me. I seem to recall Josh playing a good deal last year and showing some real flashes. The numbers back it up too, he's only averaging about 3 minutes more this year and he started half of the games last year. Definitely wish he could have played more of DO's minutes for development's sake, but I think Ollie did his best to play Josh as much as possible.

Reaction Score
I am rooting hard for Josh. So glad he's stepped up the past couple games.

This is interesting to me. I seem to recall Josh playing a good deal last year and showing some real flashes. The numbers back it up too, he's only averaging about 3 minutes more this year and he started half of the games last year. Definitely wish he could have played more of DO's minutes for development's sake, but I think Ollie did his best to play Josh as much as possible.
I think Hurley also means he wasn't coached at all last year but didn't want to outright say that.

Reaction Score
Josh has struck me as that kid in football who looks the part but doesn’t have that natural inclination/comfort/confidence with hitting people hard; bringing the intensity that’s needed for success and frankly to reduce their own injury risk.

If it’s finally clicking for Josh what he can do when he’s fully physically engaged, that’s great news

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Problem for Josh that is fixable: Conditioning. If you notice he generally starts out games well. But after a few minutes of up tempo back and forth he starts committing fouls. Highly indicative of a kid that needs better conditioning. Maybe we should be playing more zone to help him stay on the floor until he gets this straightened out?

C

Chief00

I think he has a decent skillset but to utilize it you need to create separation through athleticism or strength. Athleticism is what it is, so he needs to get much stronger and work on more explosiveness from his legs and body - so he can power through contact.
#ChiefBreakdown

Reaction Score
Carlton will be a very important player for us his senior year. It's unfortunate he's not where the team needs him to be, but that's not his fault. He didn't run the program into the ground and create a bunch of transfers out. He's supposed to be backing up Enoch who is averaging 9.5 and 5.3 in 19 minutes, not starting. He could match those numbers next year.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a 4 year player. Style wise I think of Rod Sellers. I like him, he can and will be an important player.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I think people may be overreacting about losing Kofi. Obviously if this was Hurley’s 5th year or something then yeah, be disappointed. But Carlton’s recent improvements show that he’ll only turn into a serviceable Big for us later this year and next year. Thus taking away some of the Kofi sting away.

Reaction Score
Thought he played more than yer average freshman last year. He’s had plenty of minutes by now. Kinda cop out by Hurley?

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Thought he played more than yer average freshman last year. He’s had plenty of minutes by now. Kinda cop out by Hurley?

He is being supportive :)

Reaction Score
You're right, let's pull his scholly in the offseason.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Problem for Josh that is fixable: Conditioning. If you notice he generally starts out games well. But after a few minutes of up tempo back and forth he starts committing fouls. Highly indicative of a kid that needs better conditioning. Maybe we should be playing more zone to help him stay on the floor until he gets this straightened out?

God no. Only time I'm ok with playing more zone is when we don't have enough guys able to play (like 2 years ago).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom