Hurley on Evan Daniels Podcast | The Boneyard

Hurley on Evan Daniels Podcast

Reaction Score

I’m going to say this is a must listen. Really interesting stuff especially when he talks about almost weeding out certain players that are part of the problem. Almost makes it seem like there could be player movement even though nothing has happened yet.

Reaction Score
INFO
Thanks man.
Link provided appears to be Apple file that will not play on my device.
Here is a link that is (probably) playable on any device . . . LINK.:)

HIGHLIGHTS - Made the comment that he was most proud at URI of having only 1 transfer. Said that programs having 2 or 3 guys transfer a year speaks about the program - implication was clearly that high transfer rate is indicative of problems in program.

Said a motivation for going to UConn from URI was he wanted to be able to recruit guys who would form a team that could beat the Dooks of the world.

Said one of the first things he does taking over a program is to try to identify which kids are part of the problem, and to "fix that immediately" - said it with emphasis. Did not imply "get rid of." More of, "sit 'em down and tell 'em what's what." New sheriff in town kind of thing.

Said he did an assessment of which assistants he could hire prior to accepting the job. Thinks the assistants can recruit nationally. Rattled off several national former recruits (Allen SC, Khalid Minn). Thinks he has one of the best coaching staffs in country.

Specifically said AG is a great player who has had a lot of medical issues, but incoming guard will be very important. Strong implication, in my opinion, that he doesn't expect AG to be a full time player immediately.

Solicits opinions from many including Billy Donovan and Jim Calhoun. Says Calhoun is on the Mt. Rushmore of great mens college coaches.

Said Senhor Testiculo "nut swing" sideline cheer was among the best team support he's seen from guys on the bench.

Much of the rest was personal stories and such.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Mentions Carlton again as well, seems like he really likes him. No mention of CV at all.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Thanks man.
Link provided appears to be Apple file that will not play on my device.
Here is a link that is (probably) playable on any device . . . LINK.:)

HIGHLIGHTS - Made the comment that he was most proud at URI of having only 1 transfer. Said that programs having 2 or 3 guys transfer a year speaks about the program - implication was clearly that high transfer rate is indicative of problems in program.

Said a motivation for going to UConn from URI was he wanted to be able to recruit guys who would form a team that could beat the Dooks of the world.

Said one of the first things he does taking over a program is to try to identify which kids are part of the problem, and to "fix that immediately" - said it with emphasis. Did not imply "get rid of." More of, "sit 'em down and tell 'em what's what." New sheriff in town kind of thing.

Said he did an assessment of which assistants he could hire prior to accepting the job. Thinks the assistants can recruit nationally. Rattled off several national former recruits (Allen SC, Khalid Minn). Thinks he has one of the best coaching staffs in country.

Specifically said AG is a great player who has had a lot of medical issues, but incoming guard will be very important. Strong implication, in my opinion, that he doesn't expect AG to be a full time player immediately.

Solicits opinions from many including Billy Donovan and Jim Calhoun. Says Calhoun is on the Mt. Rushmore of great mens college coaches.

Said Senhor Testiculo "nut swing" sideline cheer was among the best team support he's seen from guys on the bench.

Much of the rest was personal stories and such.
Well I think we got word from Hurley earlier in the offseason that Gilbert would be ready to go next year. But with or without Gilbert, talent and depth at guard was a huge need that has now been filled adequately.
Even if the doctors say Gilbert is as ready as he will be for November, reinjury of that shoulder is not unlikely.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Mentions Carlton again as well, seems like he really likes him. No mention of CV at all.
One of the most interesting comments, to me, was that he doesn't think they have any rim protection outside of Carlton (in response to why he brought in Yakwe)...
I wonder what his opinion of Whaley is? I think Whaley can develop into that type of guy. Maybe not a bona fide rim protector, but he's long and athletic enough to be a force in the paint down the road.

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine he doesn’t like CV as a player. He’s too good to “not like”. CV is a typical, good player in the A10 where Hurley came from. My guess is small messages are being sent to kids he needs to see more out of. I’m not looking at CV’s shot selection etc. and then telling him how great he is. I would want to challenge him, he’s a kid that will work to meet a challenge. I think coach may be playing mind games with guys to build them up or humble them as the case may be. JC did plenty of that.

I am surprised Whaley doesn’t seem to get much attention. I think he and Polley can be very nice pieces to a good team. Again, maybe coach sees what many of us saw and wants to make him work hard this summer so he is trying to make him nervous about being an afterthought in the off season.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I’m going to say this is a must listen. Really interesting stuff especially when he talks about almost weeding out certain players that are part of the problem. Almost makes it seem like there could be player movement even though nothing has happened yet.

I really don't think he was saying there's problems on the team now. He talked about the first week or two on the job having to identify problems with the players and fix them. I would imagine if someone's issues couldn't be resolved they would've left by now. I didn't get any cryptic vibes from Hurley there at all.

Reaction Score
A couple additional things he said...
He likes big, athletic guards. Spoke very highly of the URI commit he has coming here (sorry brain fart on his name)
Likes to play tough D and put pressure on the other team, force mistakes. Emphasized rebounding and shot blocking.
Once again talked about the importance of "changing the culture" and "turning the culture around" here.

I really wish he would have asked Hurley about our current players and how he sees this group playing. Strengths/weaknesses, etc. I know it's early, but he has to have some opinions/evaluations of this group and an idea of what direction he wants to go with them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And Senor rides again!!
The nut swing was the team and the Boneyard in perfect unison. I suspect the team saw the Senhor awards during season. That was some of the greatest post season mojo I have ever seen and probably the BY at its funniest, that's saying a lot.

@tcf15 @Deepster @temery

(And yes Tom, I know it won't happen again and I understand why.)

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yep a few things I think are being overlooked by people on this board:

- Hurley likes big long athletic guards who gang rebound to make up for the rebounding deficiency of playing with a 3 guard lineup and/or stretch 4
- Hurley likes system buy-in guys, He will take a less talented player who buys in over a more talented player who doesn't.
- Tarin Smith is going to play right away, probably a starter
- AG is going to be handled with kid gloves, slowly eased back into the rotation
- He is going to have his guards playing aggressively on defense, full court press, gambling for turnovers hence the need for a shot blocking 5

Reaction Score
He likes big, athletic guards. Spoke very highly of the URI commit he has coming here (sorry brain fart on his name) I simply refer to him as Adam The II or Adams Dedux and he did indicat he might have a bigger roll . You could read a lot into that or it could simply be hype.
Likes to play tough D and put pressure on the other team, force mistakes. Emphasized rebounding and shot blocking.
The pressure necessitied a rim protector as guards stepping out will get beat.
That was the plan last year pre Gilbert hopefully the St John kid is better than DO.

Once again talked about the importance of "changing the culture" and "turning the culture around" here.

I really wish he would have asked Hurley about our current players and how he sees this group playing. Strengths/weaknesses, etc. I know it's early, but he has to have some opinions/evaluations of this group and an idea of what direction he wants to go with them.
Zero discussion on current players other than a cryptic Carlton one were certainly missing

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Not a lot of love for Wilson so far from Hurley. He’s probably the second best player on the team so that’s a bit confusing (I guess Carlton, Vital, and a healthy Gilbert could make their case too).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not a lot of love for Wilson so far from Hurley. He’s probably the second best player on the team so that’s a bit confusing (I guess Carlton, Vital, and a healthy Gilbert could make their case too).

Has literally zero tape on him. They haven't been full time with these guys yet, so we'll see. He has probably seen more of Brendan Adams than he has of Wilson.

And just because he doesn't mention a guy, it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't like him or see good things from him. A lot of it is in context of the interview I imagine.

C

Chief00

He likes big, athletic guards. Spoke very highly of the URI commit he has coming here (sorry brain fart on his name)

Emphasis on rebounding, shot blocking and general rim protection is music to Chief’s ears. How we ever got away from that under KO/GM was always perplexing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And just because he doesn't mention a guy, it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't like him or see good things from him. A lot of it is in context of the interview I imagine.
This has been my take as well. He only mentioned Carlton as the sole rim protector necessitating Yakwe, and Gilbert as needing some time so that Adams & Smith were important.

The emphasis was all on who's new, saying that Moore, Young & Hunter were his top 3 picks, all pursued while he was trying to decide on taking the job immediately after URI's season closed out. He also mentioned the need for the S & C coach. Holdover players were simply referred to as needing to be assessed & re-recruited. All very level-headed, humble, and enthusiastic at the same time.

I really liked the detail with which he ran down how many different moving parts need to be addressed at all times. It's a big job for sure, and he sounds well-aware and ready, and well-equipped with a number of role models and mentors to draw from.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
One of the most interesting comments, to me, was that he doesn't think they have any rim protection outside of Carlton (in response to why he brought in Yakwe)...
I wonder what his opinion of Whaley is? I think Whaley can develop into that type of guy. Maybe not a bona fide rim protector, but he's long and athletic enough to be a force in the paint down the road.
I wonder about that too except that Whaley did not seem to put on 1 pound last year. I don't think you can seriously be a rim protector without putting more muscle on than he carries. Maybe that is just his body chemistry or our S and C program has continued to suck. BTW, I'm told the salary for the job posting said $70k for that position. Isn't that a little light for an "elite program"?

Reaction Score
Sounds like we’re going to play with a lot of defensive pressure, steals etc. which makes sense because it’s not a blue chip shooting team. He thinks Brendan Adams can shoot the ball also which we need badly. UCONN fans do not have to worry about one thing though, and that is effort from the new coach and his staff which was intimated as a problem with KO [ don’t know if true or not]. This is a very intense and committed guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wonder about that too except that Whaley did not seem to put on 1 pound last year. I don't think you can seriously be a rim protector without putting more muscle on than he carries. Maybe that is just his body chemistry or our S and C program has continued to suck. BTW, I'm told the salary for the job posting said $70k for that position. Isn't that a little light for an "elite program"?

You don't put on weight during the season. You tend to lose it what with all that conditioning. The idea's to build up as much as you can in the offseason, And Whaley came in young and super thin, so he was destined to be a bean pole in year 1. That first year is tough to pack it on.

Wonder what he'll look like next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom