Hurley on 2020 recruiting plan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley on 2020 recruiting plan

Reaction Score
Any updates on AG bring fully healthy again from the eye injury?

The writers that report on UConn do a great job for the most part and I'm sure some of them are having a UConn break since the end of the season, but updates on injuries have been a huge weakness for several years now. The public is never seems to be made aware of anything. I guess this is probably intentional for privacy, etc. But I would love an update on how Alterique is doing even if the article is more based on his goals for next season, how he feels about the team, and then an update on his recovery could be included.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
#1) I would consider “clearing out” a guy if it was necessary to do so to get a high impact player who’s eligible immediately. I would not to get a guy who is not eligible until 20-21 and may bolt for a check before that.

#2) B. Adams is a program guy. A guy like Adams is important, especially as he gets older to push the younger, likely more talented guys. It’s tough to come in after a guy is fired and come up with a decent class. Not bad to get a solid piece and grad transfers as essentially place holders.

Agree on both counts. No way I move anybody who can play to get somebody who has to sit one. Never. If Diarra can actually physically play, I want him to play. If not, they will do the right thing to keep him on scholarship. Hopefully can make him team manager or give him a non-playing role.

As for Adams, every great UConn team has had guys like this. He has size, some skill, will improve his shot and ball-handling, get stronger, and likely be a beast by Junior year. Will he ever start? I doubt it, but he could become that veteran guy off the bench who comes in and gives you what you need. Scoring, defense, boards, whatever it is. That role is especially critical if we are lucky enough to have guys jump to the NBA. If Bouknight exceeds expectations (like Jeremy Lamb, who he resembles) and jumps after two years, you are going to want that veteran 6'5" Combo/wing to go with whatever freshman we get.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't have any delusions as to what it takes to have a top 25 hoop program, so this isn't commenting on naivete.

If anyone who was offered a scholarship, still wants to be here, they shouldn't be forced out.

1 or 2 extra scholarships won't make or break a program, and if a kid works hard, likes being in Storrs, and doesn't want to go I don't think they should be forced to be the sacrificial lamb for the failings of the prior regime.

Reaction Score
I don't have any delusions as to what it takes to have a top 25 hoop program, so this isn't commenting on naivete.

If anyone who was offered a scholarship, still wants to be here, they shouldn't be forced out.

1 or 2 extra scholarships won't make or break a program, and if a kid works hard, likes being in Storrs, and doesn't want to go I don't think they should be forced to be the sacrificial lamb for the failings of the prior regime.

I hear ya tough call for sure. But if you come into UConn to play basketball and get an education for free but don't improve enough to make an impact then you should be reviewed kind of like a job no? Cheerleaders don't get free rides and if that's all you end up then sorry, expectations are higher. Having said that if it's a great kid who's a great teammate, players love him how do make a decision in that case?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hear ya tough call for sure. But if you come into UConn to play basketball and get an education for free but don't improve enough to make an impact then you should be reviewed kind of like a job no? Cheerleaders don't get free rides and if that's all you end up then sorry, expectations are higher. Having said that if it's a great kid who's a great teammate, players love him how do make a decision in that case?

The way I see it is that if you get a kid to commit to your program and they are by all accounts a good citizen, student, and teammate it's just a bad job to run them off if they emphatically want to stay.

Think about it, you're running off a 19 or 20 year old kid, to help fix the problems created by a guy making $3M/year, when we have a guy making $3M/year in charge to fix it.

If the future of the program hinges on the 12th kid on the roster, we have bigger problems.

Reaction Score
The way I see it is that if you get a kid to commit to your program and they are by all accounts a good citizen, student, and teammate it's just a bad job to run them off if they emphatically want to stay.

Think about it, you're running off a 19 or 20 year old kid, to help fix the problems created by a guy making $3M/year, when we have a guy making $3M/year in charge to fix it.

If the future of the program hinges on the 12th kid on the roster, we have bigger problems.

Your point is well taken CHB. Here's how I will leave it because I do agree for the most part. If the kid clearly worked his tail off and did everything the coaches told him to do and the proof is you misjudged where he would be as a player then I'm all in on your thoughts. If the kid doesn't work hard or as hard as you expect, doesn't so his summer work to come back better and to top it off is not happy with not playing, you hear this through the other kids, then you should be able to show him the door though.

Reaction Score

Fair, and no one has ever said anything about MD and IW being bad teammates or kids, but UConn really, really cannot afford another couple seasons of mediocrity. This team needs an infusion of talent immediately and if there are a couple of sacrifices to make then Hurley should do it. Guys like Polley and Carlton are decent enough where Hurley can make them serviceable, but when you have a guy who literally cannot even jump, and another who was a cheerleader all year...it sucks but it’s something that needs to be done. If we have 9 or 10 4*/5* guys this wouldn’t be an issue but we dont have that luxury because thanks to KO, all those guys transferred away over the years and he left us with youtube dunkers and A10 kids lol

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your point is well taken CHB. Here's how I will leave it because I do agree for the most part. If the kid clearly worked his tail off and did everything the coaches told him to do and the proof is you misjudged where he would be as a player then I'm all in on your thoughts. If the kid doesn't work hard or as hard as you expect, doesn't so his summer work to come back better and to top it off is not happy with not playing, you hear this through the other kids, then you should be able to show him the door though.

Totally agree with you on that.

Fair, and no one has ever said anything about MD and IW being bad teammates or kids, but UConn really, really cannot afford another couple seasons of mediocrity. This team needs an infusion of talent immediately and if there are a couple of sacrifices to make then Hurley should do it. Guys like Polley and Carlton are decent enough where Hurley can make them serviceable, but when you have a guy who literally cannot even jump, and another who was a cheerleader all year...it sucks but it’s something that needs to be done. If we have 9 or 10 4*/5* guys this wouldn’t be an issue but we dont have that luxury because thanks to KO, all those guys transferred away over the years and he left us with youtube dunkers and A10 kids lol

If Diarra isn't going to be medically ever able to play again - it's something worth looking in to. If there is a way to extend him an academic scholarship under the provision he foregoes athletic eligibility they should pursue it. I'm not sure how those rules work, so that's just pure speculation on my end.

Reaction Score
I hope all these people preaching patience and commitment are preaching that same message the middle of next season. Something tells me we're going to start to see criticisms that the wins still aren't coming

Reaction Score
Something tells me we're going to start to see criticisms that the wins still aren't coming
Well, you're probably right about people here complaining, but . . .
Our performance this year, with substantially the same cast as last year, was substantially better than last year, although that was not reflected in W/L. Others have posted the stats. It's indisputable.
We are losing J.A., a significant talent, to be sure, but a guy who, really, well represented the KO way of doing things. We will miss his talent, we won't be the worse for him going, IMO. No other loss is relevant.
Carlton has shown great improvement and he is likely going to be a stronger force next year.
AG and CV are returning, one year healthier and one year better.
Polly is coming back, improved.
Sid is coming back, improved.
2 young guards who are Hurley's kids coming in.
AA is is going to be holding weekly block parties under the rim.

The improved performance this year will translate to 3-7 more wins next year, I believe.

If people are expecting S16 next year, that's on them.

Reaction Score
One of KO’s downfalls wasn’t getting DHam to stay another year. That also substantially impacted Brimah’s performance. No lobs and the enthusiasm which followed.

No. At no moment his senior year did Brimah show any evidence of giving it less than his best effort just because he wasn't scoring points. Brimah's issue as a senior was that he and the conference refs did not agree on what was and wasn't a defensive foul and Brimah couldn't adjust and keep himself on the floor.

To blame that on DHam's absence shows a stunning lack of understanding of basketball.

Reaction Score
Bringing in a guy who didn't want to be here? Isn't that a pretty important element of recruiting?

God, stop. He wanted to play college ball for a year because he had to. Almost any team would have taken him risking him leaving after one year. KO kept him for a second.

There is so much legitimate crap to blame KO for, why do many of you have to blame him for the weather and the national economy as well.

Reaction Score
The writers that report on UConn do a great job for the most part and I'm sure some of them are having a UConn break since the end of the season, but updates on injuries have been a huge weakness for several years now. The public is never seems to be made aware of anything. I guess this is probably intentional for privacy, etc. But I would love an update on how Alterique is doing even if the article is more based on his goals for next season, how he feels about the team, and then an update on his recovery could be included.

You recognize it's literally illegal for a school to comment on this, correct? Reporters can only ask the players and see if they are willing to answer and, if so, whether the reporter thinks their view is credible enough to report it.

Reaction Score
People have got to free themselves of this mentality everyone's going pro after year 1 here.

Alterique is good, but jesus, pro? He can't stay on the floor.

Reaction Score
Akok also wants to be one and done, which doesn't sound completely out of the question from the way people who have watched him practice have been talking.
So even assuming no one transfers, we should have at least 3-4 openings for 2020.
Oh wow. Did you see him dunk against a chair or something? With the other exception of really really elite guys, and I didn’t see Akok listed among those guys, I prefer to see guys play against actual college players before concluding they will be 1-and-done. The difference between guys who can actually do it and guys who, or who’s “people,” think they can is often huge.

Reaction Score
Oh wow. Did you see him dunk against a chair or something? With the other exception of really really elite guys, and I didn’t see Akok listed among those guys, I prefer to see guys play against actual college players before concluding they will be 1-and-done. The difference between guys who can actually do it and guys who, or who’s “people,” think they can is often huge.

The problem isn't whether we as fans are correct about who is and isn't a 1-and-done... it's the players perception of whether they are ready for the leap. We don't know what is going on in anyone's head and there is enormous pressure combined with teenage delusions of grandeur that lead to the DHam's of the world leaving prematurely.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hope all these people preaching patience and commitment are preaching that same message the middle of next season. Something tells me we're going to start to see criticisms that the wins still aren't coming

Is it too much to expect to win more than 1/3rd of our games in AAC even if the 12th man on the roster is probably more suited for a low major?

Reaction Score
Is it too much to expect to win more than 1/3rd of our games in AAC even if the 12th man on the roster is probably more suited for a low major?
Not at all, and I expect we'll do that. But I don't think many here will be happy with 7 conference wins and 18 wins. I know I'd be disappointed with that.

And when we have no 13th scholarship, the 12th man being suited for a low major, 11th man with chronic injuries that may never clear up, and best player a fall away from a season ending injury it adds up

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not at all, and I expect we'll do that. But I don't think many here will be happy with 7 conference wins and 18 wins. I know I'd be disappointed with that.

And when we have no 13th scholarship, the 12th man being suited for a low major, 11th man with chronic injuries that may never clear up, and best player a fall away from a season ending injury it adds up

It's a bad draw, no doubt. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth to let a kid take the fall for the incompetence of administrators and coaches before him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Maybe you are too dense or have been in a cave? He's been with the team since January. The coaches and players have been talking about how well he's performed in practice, against actual college players, believe it or not (not chairs).

Also, way to completely misconstrue what I said to make a point of your own, strawman, because please point out where I concluded he is a one-and done.
I have no clue whether he will be a one and done, or 3 and done or a complete flop. All I said is it was not out of the question (if you can read), since there was talk surrounding him aiming to go pro within the year, and talk that he's really stood out in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom