Hurley NY Post interview | The Boneyard

Hurley NY Post interview

Reaction Score
Wide range of topics and some very real answers. He’s feeling good about the team and comfortable, and I can’t wait for this to get started again.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
It's like there is a competition to see who can write the best profile on a UConn basketball team personality. First Anthony, then Borges, and now this guy Serby. Who's writing the next on Kimani, Solo or Ross?

Reaction Score
This is so good:
hurley process.png

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
All this interest in our coach. The Post is the Post but it is iconic. I would imagine more people read this article than the other ones combined. He is a good interview. Tons of personality, it would great to see him create a dynasty for the men’s program over the next five years or so. I think the women’s team is poised for a chip. Heaven would be another double so 2004- 2014- 2024. Wow just think about that. Kind of a glitch in the matrix type of thing. What would the odds be just to do it ten years apart the first time. If we both play well and enter the tourney with high seeds this will be a story line that will gain traction.

Reaction Score

Agreed. IMO players that like winning aren't the best. Everyone likes winning. What separates the good from the great is the desire to pursue the little goals. Refusing to lose a practice scrimmage, not leaving the gym until you hit 500 3s, etc. When you enjoy getting better, the winning comes.

Reaction Score
Q: Pat Riley used to talk about the “disease of me.” How do you prevent that, and are you able to recognize that?
A: I allow for the “me” season here. My “me” season goes from when our season ends in March into April to June 1. I allow for, and I’m on board with [the idea], if you’re not valued the way you believe you should be valued, then from April to June you have the portal. You have your NIL valuation. You have the NBA draft which you could go enter. All that stuff goes from April to June. But once these guys step on campus for summer school, the “we” season starts, and I’m not dealing with any “me” s–t until April. June to April: “We” season.
Very good way to handle/think about it I think. it's the only way to reconcile being a traditional team-first coach and also existing in the modern player-driven world.

Reaction Score
Agreed. IMO players that like winning aren't the best. Everyone likes winning. What separates the good from the great is the desire to pursue the little goals. Refusing to lose a practice scrimmage, not leaving the gym until you hit 500 3s, etc. When you enjoy getting better, the winning comes.
I say this to my students all the time: focus on improving the skills, and the grade follows; focus on the grade and it will elude you.

Reaction Score
Is there a Hurley/Izzo connection from somewhere? Article says he spoke with him, Jay Wright, Coach K, and Billy Donovan after the title

Reaction Score
Best coach in the country.. by far.. it just worked out perfectly.. fired Ollie right when Hurley was available.. just a great hire.. you could see the difference between Ollie and Hurley the first year Hurley took over..the team played hard.. never gave up.. it was the same thing when Jim Calhoun took over the program

Reaction Score
"A: That’s not what I love most (laugh). My teams typically, over the course of my career, they were known for a defensive-minded first, playing so much harder than the other team, just all-out intensity in defense. But that got me eliminated from the first round of the NCAA Tournament twice. Just evolution as a coach to win six games in a tournament versus all different teams, you gotta be able to score."

Great self-awareness and willingness to evolve.

Reaction Score
"A: That’s not what I love most (laugh). My teams typically, over the course of my career, they were known for a defensive-minded first, playing so much harder than the other team, just all-out intensity in defense. But that got me eliminated from the first round of the NCAA Tournament twice. Just evolution as a coach to win six games in a tournament versus all different teams, you gotta be able to score."

And ability for this staff to recruit. He wasn’t turning away scorers before, he just couldn’t get them.

Reaction Score
Heaven would be another double so 2004- 2014- 2024. Wow just think about that. Kind of a glitch in the matrix type of thing. What would the odds be just to do it ten years apart the first time. If we both play well and enter the tourney with high seeds this will be a story line that will gain traction.
If they were to go back to back and then add the ladies winning it for the double with decades in between thatd be insanely awesome. I mean seriously any debate for the greatest cbb program would essentially be over. 12 titles for the women but 6 for the mens team? Bananas!!!

Reaction Score
If they were to go back to back and then add the ladies winning it for the double with decades in between thatd be insanely awesome. I mean seriously any debate for the greatest cbb program would essentially be over. 12 titles for the women but 6 for the mens team? Bananas!!!
A big thank you to the man who started it all - Coach Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score

This is what has impressed me the most

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, that's a far ranging article and a really good read. Hurley is an interesting guy.

Reaction Score
He's said this before. I've always found it interesting.

Yeah I have, I’ve talked to my dad [legendary St. Anthony H.S. coach Bob Hurley] about it, I’ve talked to my brother [Bobby, 1991 and ’92 Duke national champion] about it — they’ve both had great success. I’ve talked to Coach [Jim] Calhoun and Geno Auriemma about it. I’ve talked to Tom Izzo, I’ve talked to Jay Wright, I’ve talked to Coach K [Mike Krzyzewski], I’ve talked to Billy Donovan about it. I’m smart enough to use my network of mentors.

The group of Izzo, Wright, Coach K, and Donovan seems random. All Natty winners but a group you don't associate with each other. I wonder if he's talking in general or gets specific things from each guy. It nice to just be on talking terms with that group.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very good way to handle/think about it I think. it's the only way to reconcile being a traditional team-first coach and also existing in the modern player-driven world.
I loved that answer. Treating players like humans has always been the way to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wanted to pull this one:

Q: Do you still one day aspire to be an NBA coach?

A: Maybe not. It’s weird. … I’m ambitious, I want to keep challenging myself. And then sometimes I feel that way, but then I also feel like my coaching style and the way I do it is unique and maybe not conducive to the way that the NBA functions today. I can’t answer that today.

Reaction Score
this rules, haha

Q: The money will never make you less hungry?

A: No, everything I wear is free. I wear UConn-issued Nike stuff. I pay for my underwear, which is the undies that I wore in the NCAA Tournament last year, and maybe my wife has made me get a couple of nicer pair of shoes and a good belt, because I never really had a nice belt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom