Hurley - Newton Kansas Postgame Presser | The Boneyard

Hurley - Newton Kansas Postgame Presser

Reaction Score
I liked the attitude of both Hurley and Newton. Expected to win, not making excuses. Really interesting to hear we’ve been trying to schedule games with Duke. Funny shots taken at the Bryant coach. Seems like they’re going to learn from this and be ready for UNC.

Reaction Score
He asked if Bryant won. He wanted to know since he heard they were down 7 to Brown LOL.
He didnt just come out and say it - there was a conversation about scheduling big time teams as home and homes and then he gave us that funny line.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He is going to be miserable for three days. He knows how close where to winning this game and all we needed was a few things to break our way. Although I don’t think this loss is tearing up knowledgeable fans, Hurley’s going to be bothered. Because he knows how hard it is to go into that atmosphere play your C+ game and have your best shooter pretty much with a clean look to win it and come out with a loss. To me this is as good a loss as a team can have. Not sure Hurley looks at it the same way. Which makes him a great coach. We did come out a little flat but like Hurley indicated it may have been more shell shocked than flat.

Reaction Score
He is going to be miserable for three days. He knows how close where to winning this game and all we needed was a few things to break our way. Although I don’t think this loss is tearing up knowledgeable fans, Hurley’s going to be bothered. Because he knows how hard it is to go into that atmosphere play your C+ game and have your best shooter pretty much with a clean look to win it and come out with a loss. To me this is as good a loss as a team can have. Not sure Hurley looks at it the same way. Which makes him a great coach. We did come out a little flat but like Hurley indicated it may have been more shell shocked than flat.
Yeah im not bothered much by the loss im really bothered by guys not showing up in a big game. Clingan and Karaban cannot be no shows if this team wants to have any shot at a repeat. Clingan better show out against UNC because hes facing another really good big. He could be hurting his draft stock if he doesnt show up against them. That being said Clingan did assert himself defensively in the sense that Dickenson didnt even attempt to take him down on the block. Karaban simply cannot guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So is Newton...
I had to explain him to KU fans. It’s hard to describe. Most guards avoid contact, remember Jalen Adams? He was like a ballerina avoiding it. Newton can’t wait until you hit him. He seeks it out even where it’s not normal. So he surprises people and also draws a staggering number of fouls. Newton is like Rocky Balboa, he blocks your punch with his face so he is free to hit you.

Reaction Score
Loved the Bryant coach reference.
The Bryant coach, what a loser. I guess the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree- he was after all the assistant to that sleazy grease ball Jared Grasso.
If UConn meets Bryant in the NCAAT or some early season tournament then UConn can squash them like an annoying bug and I will enjoy it. But there is no need to even entertain going out of the way to schedule them. Go with scheduling John Gallagher who is one of the good guys.

Reaction Score
What reporter was Hurley talking to when he said "what are you doing here"? Pretty light hearted by Hurley after a loss and even he said something about never laughing after a loss.

Hurley also responded to a question about scheduling a game with Duke by saying UConn talks to everyone about scheduling games. He mentioned that maybe he should call out those schools like Bryant's Martelli did.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They should NEVER get a buy game with us after those comments. That said, I hope we get them in a tournament
Yep. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Neutral site game with Duke at the Wells Fargo Center next season! Get it done!

Signed,
Guy who lives close to Philly

IMG_7374.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yeah im not bothered much by the loss im really bothered by guys not showing up in a big game. Clingan and Karaban cannot be no shows if this team wants to have any shot at a repeat. Clingan better show out against UNC because hes facing another really good big. He could be hurting his draft stock if he doesnt show up against them. That being said Clingan did assert himself defensively in the sense that Dickenson didnt even attempt to take him down on the block. Karaban simply cannot guard.
I think the bigger problem was UConn really missed Castle in a game like this. UConn needed another scoring threat especially when Kansas decided to press UConn in the first half and disrupted the flow of the offense. I think Ball will be good over time, but he struggled in this game and he can't replace Castle. UConn could not easily get the ball to Clingan in the low post and Karaban struggled to get open in the first half.

My only disappointment was free throw shooting, 53.3% for the game.

Reaction Score
Yeah im not bothered much by the loss im really bothered by guys not showing up in a big game. Clingan and Karaban cannot be no shows if this team wants to have any shot at a repeat.
I think a lot of this had to do with the gameplan. They were switching, and we stuck too closely to the script (similar to what happened in January last season). Later in the game the guys got a little more comfortable playing against a switching defense, and took advantage more often.

We figured it out last season. This will be really good tape to go over for the guys to see what to do against a defense they haven't seen.

Despite it all, we had a shot to win it with 3 seconds left. Unfortunately the shooter was shooting off of 2 hobbled feet.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me the rift between Dan and Bryant ? I must have missed it
TIA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom