Hurley Media Availability Tweets | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Media Availability Tweets

Reaction Score
He had a top 50 recruit as a back up plan. It didn’t work out, but it’s not like him he just crossed his fingers and hoped that Cole would stay another year.
People can critique him for the recruiting miss with Diggins in a covid year—really, they can—but every single coach has recruiting misses.

People are still worked up after the disaster that was NMST. If they lost to Arkansas or Gonzaga people would have more trust.

Reaction Score
He had a top 50 recruit as a back up plan. It didn’t work out, but it’s not like him he just crossed his fingers and hoped that Cole would stay another year.
Yeah but regardless of how people color it, Rahsool’s expectations weren’t managed and now he’s gone. Gaffney’s gone too. It might turn out ok, but it’s a bad situation no matter how you feel about Hurley.

It can be salvaged, but it doesn’t invite confidence.

Reaction Score
People can critique him for the recruiting miss with Diggins in a covid year—really, they can—but every single coach has recruiting misses.

People are still worked up after the disaster that was NMST. If they lost to Arkansas or Gonzaga people would have more trust.
That’s true. If we had won one game or looked respectable that would be different.

Instead, we got — “unmitigated disaster: the sequel.”

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The Covid year is still working its way through the system. Lots of frosh sat this year because the glut of older players on teams. Teams that play their young guys this year will have a very big advantage down the road. We need to get those younguns on the court this year.
The other aspect of this is that next year there will be significantly fewer super seniors (my opinion, less guys will exercise that option) so those freshmen who played against 23 year olds will be sophomores playing against guys two years older than them instead of four.

Reaction Score
LOL Clueless Kathy back at it again!!
Lol - amazing how much time you and others spend responding and disliking Clueless Kathy posts, guess that's a millennial thing - the world where likes and dislikes are so important. Shocking - nothing you or any of your buddies say or do will stop me from posting my opinions, I don't do it for likes. I can also tell you I am not the only one who questions Hurley.

Reaction Score
Lol - amazing how much time you and others spend responding and disliking Clueless Kathy posts, guess that's a millennial thing - the world where likes and dislikes are so important. Shocking - nothing you or any of your buddies say or do will stop me from posting my opinions, I don't do it for likes. I can also tell you I am not the only one who questions Hurley.
I don't know CK you seem to be pretty bothered by the dislikes....It's ok for people to not agree with your opinion no need to get upset. Those darn Millennials!!!!

Reaction Score

David Spade Boomer GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Reaction Score
Fortunately in some cases, age breeds wisdom and some are just wise enough to not posts such things on message boards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah but regardless of how people color it, Rahsool’s expectations weren’t managed and now he’s gone. Gaffney’s gone too. It might turn out ok, but it’s a bad situation no matter how you feel about Hurley.

It can be salvaged, but it doesn’t invite confidence.
Or were Diggins expectations managed properly? In a perfect world, I would rather lose a kid being honest with him then string him along telling him that he’s better than he actually is. Promising but not delivering minutes to a kid is a very short term solution.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is some good context. It was clear from day one that Bouknight was the most talented player on the team though. It shouldn't take 2 months and an injury to let him start and have him be a major part of the offense.

Hawkins got minutes, but the way Hurley handled him was terrible. He had him on a vrry short leash despite his hot start and "freshmen'd" the hell out of him. He can make a couple of great plays and with one mistake Hurley would pull him INSTANTLY. Thats when his wall came. when he became tentative from being afraid to make a mistake.

Jackson got the playing time he deserved imo and yeah without seeing too much of Diggins cant really speak on it. im really just going off Bouknight and Hawkins, guys who were clearly the most talented scorers and NBA talent that Hurley refused to let loose until absolutely forced to.
Wasn't that the case with Sanogo too? Didn't he have to play him or risk losing him to transfer as well?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Encouraging.

The other 2 starters need to be portal guards who can shoot 3s & handle the ball (1 true PG and a shot creating CG).

PG - Transfer
CG - Transfer
G/F - Hawkins
G/F - Jackson
C - Sanogo

Still can get plenty of minutes for CFJ (G), Karaban (F) and Johnson (F/C) off the bench.

I’m pumped based on some of the guards we’ve been connected to on the transfer thread to fill those 2 slots. And confident the staff can do it.

3rd open scholarship could be a backup PG 1 year stop gap for depth or use for Castle reclass (even if it’s mid-year)
Who might these be? Who are the best available to possibly fill these roles in your opinion and/or research.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So Hurley was lying when he said he would have helped the team?
Then again - who knows
I am guessing he meant he could have helped in retrospect had he known then what he knows now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Gaffney actually started a few games the following season when Cole was struggling. Gaffney had two duds.

2-5 with 1 assist
1-6 with 2 assists
he still lost his starting spot that he earned the following year though… to a guy who didn’t play a game for us yet.

To say Gaffney got rewarded for his great play freshman year would not be true. He got rewarded by getting recruited over by a transfer. Now we haven’t made it out of the first round in 2 years and lost both PGs we recruited to have to go fishing back in the portal. That’s not healthy for the program. Whole time Gaffney probably would’ve been a better PG to play next to Bouknight with the chemistry they had but it’s water under the bridge at this point.

Reaction Score
he still lost his starting spot that he earned the following year though… to a guy who didn’t play a game for us yet.

To say Gaffney got rewarded for his great play freshman year would not be true. He got rewarded by getting recruited over by a transfer. Now we haven’t made it out of the first round in 2 years and lost both PGs we recruited to have to go fishing back in the portal. That’s not healthy for the program. Whole time Gaffney probably would’ve been a better PG to play next to Bouknight with the chemistry they had but it’s water under the bridge at this point.
This has to be a long term troll. I refuse to believe anyone with an ounce of an intelligence could triple down on the take that the reason we struggled was Cole starting over Gaffney

Reaction Score

So your preference would have been to either:
1) bench the guy who ended up making 1st team All-BE, and instead start the lesser player, just so the lesser player wouldn’t transfer?

Or 2) not have recruited RJ Cole (an eventual 1st Team All-BE player) at all.

No coach is going to have one point guard on the roster. Gaffney simply was never the best player at his position after his freshman year. This is not rocket science.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This has to be a long term troll. I refuse to believe anyone with an ounce of an intelligence could triple down on the take that the reason we struggled was Cole starting over Gaffney
please don’t insult my intelligence. I don’t insult yours and respect your opinion. I’ve played more than enough basketball and follow along well enough to have a pretty decent opinion. Even if it is different at times.

Cole is by far the better player. But roster management matters. Chemistry matters. I don’t know if it would’ve made a difference, but the best basketball I saw us play in the Hurley era was when Jalen ran the show towards the end of his freshman year. He wasn’t out there scoring 15 points a game to do it but he was just a good solid facilitator. Cole wasn’t that, he was a much better scorer but didn’t make guys better. Those type of guys are great to come off the bench IMO.

If Hurley was able to get the most out of Gaffney that would’ve been ideal because he had the talent, and he failed to do that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So your preference would have been to either:
1) bench the guy who ended up making 1st team All-BE, and instead start the lesser player, just so the lesser player wouldn’t transfer?

Or 2) not have recruited RJ Cole (an eventual 1st Team All-BE player) at all.

No coach is going to have one point guard on the roster. Gaffney simply was never the best player at his position after his freshman year. This is not rocket science.
Guys from Howard transfer to schools all the time (who are leading scorers in the country) and come off the bench. It wouldn’t be new. Byrd did it for Tennessee a few years ago. It wouldn’t be benching if that’s where he started and Hurley went all in on a guy coming off a great year.

Reaction Score
Guys from Howard transfer to schools all the time (who are leading scorers in the country) and come off the bench. It wouldn’t be new. Byrd did it for Tennessee a few years ago. It wouldn’t be benching if that’s where he started and Hurley went all in on a guy coming off a great year.
That's ridiculous. There is no way that Gaffney should have been starting over a First-Team All Big East point guard. In all likelihood, Gaffney will wind up at an A10 or similar school, which may provide him plenty of minutes to showcase what he can do. But to suggest that he should have started over Cole is mind boggling.

Reaction Score
please don’t insult my intelligence. I don’t insult yours and respect your opinion. I’ve played more than enough basketball and follow along well enough to have a pretty decent opinion. Even if it is different at times.

Cole is by far the better player. But roster management matters. Chemistry matters. I don’t know if it would’ve made a difference, but the best basketball I saw us play in the Hurley era was when Jalen ran the show towards the end of his freshman year. He wasn’t out there scoring 15 points a game to do it but he was just a good solid facilitator. Cole wasn’t that, he was a much better scorer but didn’t make guys better. Those type of guys are great to come off the bench IMO.

If Hurley was able to get the most out of Gaffney that would’ve been ideal because he had the talent, and he failed to do that.
Did you watch Gaffney this year? I don't mean to be insulting, but the gap between he and Cole in their time on the court was a mile wide. Your argument ultimately boils down to "we would have been better if we had started the far worse player" and that just boggles my mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom