Hurley Media Availability Tweets | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley Media Availability Tweets

Reaction Score
I don’t trust how Hurley handles freshman sometimes. I do not think he fairly hands out minutes to guys most talented. It took a Polley injury during Bouknight’s freshman year for him to finally start. Hawkins did not get enough minutes IMO and it hurt his game at the beginning of the year.

He has to learn to forget experienced guys feelings and play the best players, period. I’m not even all the way sure Diggins wasn’t good enough to play, or if he just didn’t give him a chance cause he’s a freshman.

Since coming to UConn, Hurley has almost always played his Freshman.

Brendan Adams played 12 MPG
Bouknight played 26 MPG
Akok played 28 MPG
Gaffney played 19 MPG
Sanogo played 17 MPG
Andre Jackson played 16 MPG
Hawkins 15 MPG

What about this don't you trust?

Reaction Score
Luke's only been here for about a year. He helped lock down one most sought after point guards, Stephen Castle, for 23/24 season so I'd say he's doing just fine Kath!
Wasn't talking about Murray.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bouknight played 26 MPG
Akok played 28 MPG
Gaffney played 19 MPG
Sanogo played 17 MPG
Hawkins 15 MPG

And without Whaley getting an extra year, Johnson would have played a lot more.

I really like the comment about Andre as a leader. We lost Cole and Martin who were the guys that set the tone, along with Whaley. Andre brings so much energy and is such a high effort guy I think he can really be a solid leader.

Reaction Score
IMO it isn't so much that Hurley doesn't play freshmen, it's that he stubbornly stays with schemes and players that are so obviously not working. Sometimes it holds back freshmen like Diggins/Johnson. Gilbert was killing us and everybody on this board knew it, but it took forever for Hurley to bring him off the bench. Result - the team improved. Brendan Adams was killing us and everybody on this board advocated change, but it took forever for Hurley to come to the same realization. Result - the team improved. Gaffney literally didn't hit a 3 in Dec / Jan / Feb and wasn't helping us win. This time, after months again obvious to the boneyard, Hurley eventually just cut back the minutes and stayed longer with starters. Whaley came on the scene when Hurley had to play somebody from the bench. He was much more effective in game play than Hurley's evaluation of him in practice, (per Hurley at the time). ie Hurley's every day practice evaluation doesn't equal projecting actual performance. We know Hurley used Josh Carlton in a high hedge defense not suited to Josh's strengths, sticking with a system rather than adjusting to a player's talents. We know that Hurley wants to mold highly rated high school stars in practice and avoid suffering their game mistakes until they can seamlessly step into games. We know he has a quick hook for some players and yet lets some other players play through the same mistakes. Now, just like with injuries and extended terrible play, he is only turning to the portal because he has to. Conclusion: Hurley is a good coach who is stubborn to a fault and clearly not infallible, but he recruits well, and eventually comes around to the Boneyard Point of View when the Boneyard has a general consensus. (there is always an outlier opinion to be hanged). Trust the Boneyard.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Lol someone made a joke! 40+ years of Huskies, 38 as a season ticket holder - you know nothing about me.
You’re the most monotonous poster of all time and utterly predictable. You have been since the KO days.

I don’t know you, but I know what’s coming the second I see your handle above each one of your posts. Gotta be worth something. Homies for life

Reaction Score
You’re the most monotonous poster of all time and utterly predictable. You have been since the KO days.

I don’t know you, but I know what’s coming the second I see your handle above each one of your posts. Gotta be worth something. Homies for life
Many predictable people on here, you included. You don't like my opinions put me on ignore.

Reaction Score
Did Luke Murray kill it in the portal in the past ? Sincere question, since I see a few posts suggesting 'just wait til Luke Murray gets involved with the portal,' etc.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Bouknight played 26 MPG
Akok played 28 MPG
Gaffney played 19 MPG
Sanogo played 17 MPG
Hawkins 15 MPG

I’ve given my reasons with context about how he handles these situations. Not just minutes. Hawkins is the prime example.

Gaffney has a great end of the year only to have Cole come in and start over him.

It’s almost like you don’t get rewarded for playing well if you’re young. Bouknight, before January, had 2 games where he got more than 20 minutes. One came in double OT. Why does it take so long for Hurley to figure out who his guys should be.

Even Ollie, when he had the talent, knew how to manage his roster. Hurley doesn’t seem to know how to make tough decisions.

Reaction Score
I’ve given my reasons with context about how he handles these situations. Not just minutes. Hawkins is the prime example.

Gaffney has a great end of the year only to have Cole come in and start over him.

It’s almost like you don’t get rewarded for playing well if you’re young. Bouknight, before January, had 2 games where he got more than 20 minutes. One came in double OT. Why does it take so long for Hurley to figure out who his guys should be.

Even Ollie, when he had the talent, knew how to manage his roster. Hurley doesn’t seem to know how to make tough decisions.

Gaffney was playing well as a freshman and took Gilbert’s starting spot. Was that a reward for playing well? I have 5 other examples maybe more if you want them

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Gaffney was playing well as a freshman and took Gilbert’s starting spot. Was that a reward for playing well? I have 5 other examples maybe more if you want them
What happened the next year when he wasn’t starting anymore?

Reaction Score
What happened the next year when he wasn’t starting anymore?
Gaffney actually started a few games the following season when Cole was struggling. Gaffney had two duds.

2-5 with 1 assist
1-6 with 2 assists

Reaction Score
The Covid year is still working its way through the system. Lots of frosh sat this year because the glut of older players on teams. Teams that play their young guys this year will have a very big advantage down the road. We need to get those younguns on the court this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom