Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley, Martin, Matta, Crean

Reaction Score
We're all in on Hurley. Everyone else is fallback. I agree with August not real exciting after Hurley.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My top four in order:

Hurley
Schmidt
Becker
JC

I think it's odd that people eliminating people based on looks considering JC sounded like a Bahstahn machine gun when he talked. It took me a while to figure out what he was saying for a few years. Matta isn't healthy but Martin and Crean have some strong positives in their favor.

Just win, baby

I’ll throw 2 mil at oats before Becker or Schmidt.

Reaction Score
I was speaking specifically of his time at Indiana there. I look at his career at Indiana as more indicative of who Crean is, given that it was the most recent, at a powerhouse of a school, and damn near a decade long.

I'm not discounting Marquette, just that I think what you see at Indiana is what you get.

The two good years being finishing 1st in the B1G. Both making the sweet 16. You probably hope for more there in March.

I don't want to be anywhere near Crean either but you could have put Coach K in that spot and it's still at least a couple years to turn it around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When the NCAA has squeezed out mid-majors I guess it shouldn’t be shocking there are candidates for a P7 league.

The whole tournament would have 1 mid major from leagues 8-32 if Nevada and URI held serve.

And they got sent to Dayton.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I was speaking specifically of his time at Indiana there. I look at his career at Indiana as more indicative of who Crean is, given that it was the most recent, at a powerhouse of a school, and damn near a decade long.

I'm not discounting Marquette, just that I think what you see at Indiana is what you get.

The two good years being finishing 1st in the B1G. Both making the sweet 16. You probably hope for more there in March.

Reaction Score
  • Couldn't recruit his own state at THE basketball school in that state
  • He had two good years. Seven below average
  • That school should be a monster. It has way more resources than UCONN. He was good at his best, but was bad way too often, and trending downward
  • Apparently pissed off a number of people in the administration there
  • Overall: 166–135 (.551) 71–91 (.438) Not inspiring
  • Indiana fans were desperate to have him gone
  • He's weird.
It's worth noting that when he arrived at IU the cupboard was COMPLETELY bare because of the Kelvin Sampson disaster. They had two walk-ons when he took over. Four years later he had 27 wins and a sweet 16 appearance.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
The first 3 year's he had no player's because of sanctions from Kelvin Sampson...We can do a lot wprse

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Martin certainly reminds me of Calhoun as a disciplinarian but didn't he just take the Ville kid Bowen? No thanks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup. For all those people who didnt like him, he still managed to sleep with ALL of them. And they begged for it.

If ever was reincarnated I would choose to comeback in Christian Laettners body for his 4 years in college. The kid ran the world. That's why everyone (including us) hated him so much. He ran the world. Complete Rock Star.

3 more weeks of 500 calorie days you are there.

Reaction Score
Hurley's clearly target #1.

Martin is rumored to not be interested. Matta's a no - he just turned down $16 million from Georgia. Crean I'd assume goes to one of Georgia, UConn, Pitt - whoever misses out on their #1's. Or - if all else fails - Calhoun.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is nuts.

You think? He'd likely be doing worse here than he did at Indiana. We'd be treading water....5 or 6th in the league. jmo

I intended that to mean as "the safe pick" that's probably not going to do that much on the upside.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's worth noting that when he arrived at IU the cupboard was COMPLETELY bare because of the Kelvin Sampson disaster. They had two walk-ons when he took over. Four years later he had 27 wins and a sweet 16 appearance.

True. But it's also Indiana. Really Sweet 16 should be a minimum there. Why couldn't he sustain those results year in year out?

Reaction Score
People are a bit harsh. Martin has been at an Elite 8 and a Final 4 coaching at Kansas State and South Carolina. Coaching at a big time basketball school like UConn would likely make his ceiling better, both in recruiting and performance. I mean it was just last year he was in a final four and won coach of the year.

Regardless it sounds like he's not a real option now according to Brazoria.

I was always a no on Crean but then Rothstein was on WFAN yesterday and gave a pretty compelling case that the job at Indiana was a lot better than people give him credit for.

But obviously Hurley is #1.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
For those who hate the list...who would you suggest?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup. For all those people who didnt like him, he still managed to sleep with ALL of them. And they begged for it.

If ever was reincarnated I would choose to comeback in Christian Laettners body for his 4 years in college. The kid ran the world. That's why everyone (including us) hated him so much. He ran the world. Complete Rock Star.

Uh, Wilt Chamberlain would have something to say

Reaction Score
If Matta was fully healthy, he’d be a great catch. His comments the other day would make me very skeptical of that being the case.

Frank Martin is a great defensive coach, but the guy just can’t recruit to save his life. K State and South Carolina aren’t easy places to recruit to, but yikes he brings in very little talent.

How did Martin make a Final 4 if he can’t recruit?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
A guy like Schmidt makes me nervous. He's already 55 and has zero experience with high level recruiting.

Sounds like we better hope we get Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom