Hurley in thief mode | The Boneyard

Hurley in thief mode

Reaction Score
In his post-mortem presser DH was talking about watching the NCAAs and looking for things to steal. I thought this was a very good sign. An open minded coach who wants to get better. Good ideas are good ideas no matter where they come from. This was a season of advancement but also a very challenging season. But here he is days after a tough loss looking for ways to be better. I like it. Hope he finds something we can use.

Reaction Score
The first thing he needs to steal is the best available shooters. But I agree he’s still learning and knows he needs to get better at some things. He’s a keeper who just needs to keep at it.
I doubt he would be allowed to steal shooters from NCAA Tournament teams : )

Reaction Score
That's how you get to be a good coach. I stole plenty from Bobby Knight.

Reaction Score
A potential role-model for Hurley.
drive thru GIF

Reaction Score
In his post-mortem presser DH was talking about watching the NCAAs and looking for things to steal. I thought this was a very good sign. An open minded coach who wants to get better. Good ideas are good ideas no matter where they come from. This was a season of advancement but also a very challenging season. But here he is days after a tough loss looking for ways to be better. I like it. Hope he finds something we can use.
Well he is in contact with an All-time Top 5 men's college basketball coach, I hear they talk and Calhoun seems pretty engaged with UConn these days. But I agree, lots to learn.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I've wondered about all the people ragging on him about not knowing what he's doing, when he himself clearly calls out exactly what the players' and team's issues are and what they need to work on. He knows more about the game than the people bitching about him do.

Reaction Score
Well he is in contact with an All-time Top 5 men's college basketball coach, I hear they talk and Calhoun seems pretty engaged with UConn these days. But I agree, lots to learn.
It’s good to hear. Hurley has to be himself, but can certainly learn from the best, which is a real advantage.

Reaction Score
I would guess that Hurley is similar to a sophomore in terms of his coaching maturity.

His best attribute is his desire and drive to get better.

Reaction Score
DH is trending like JC at this age in his coaching career. Still learning and still aspiring to improve on his skill set.

Would you want him to be any different? Sign of someone with the passion to succeed.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about all the people ragging on him about not knowing what he's doing, when he himself clearly calls out exactly what the players' and team's issues are and what they need to work on. He knows more about the game than the people bitching about him do.

The problem sometimes is that he points out what everyone us doing wrong but himself. It makes sense... he needs to keep his job, but it isn't what fans want to hear after his historically atrocious SJU game. Or when our offense looks like crap against nearly every tourney team we played.

He's obviously improving. Game management took a few big steps forward the second half of this season. Recruiting keeps elevating and that's his #1 most important skill. Still needs to work on his adjustments and coaching offense big time.

IMO one of his mentors needs to talk to him about play style and recruiting. We recruit less skilled, but super athletic players. Coach SAYS he wants to play fast fast fast, he has ever since URI. But he's gotten slower every year he's been here and consistently had teams in the 200s or more for pace. Only 1 year did he have a top 100 pace team ever.

And that's fine. Teams can be successful playing slow, tough grind it out games. We need shooters and higher skilled, less athletic players then. But If we want to be a high-intensity pressure defense team, the coach needs to be willing to let the players run. It WILL lead to TOs. But it also leads to easy buckets... with when you have a Rese, Andre, Samson, Akok team filled with mediocre shooters you've got to allow it.

Diggins and Hawkins coming in should help the half-court offense. Hawkins is both athletic and pretty skilled in the half court shooting it... which is why he's a 2 and done NBA player. So it seems like Hurley's already aware to an extent.

Just meandering thoughts. Feel free to ignore.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think by the transitive property, you just admitted Hurley was good. Thanks for that. Enjoy your weekend!

Or maybe Hurley falls somewhere between the greatest coach in basketball (what you think) and terrible (what you think everyone who doesn’t worship Hurley thinks he is).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt he would be allowed to steal shooters from NCAA Tournament teams : )
Meh, A burlap sack and a little ether… There’s nothing to it.

Reaction Score
Or maybe Hurley falls somewhere between the greatest coach in basketball (what you think) and terrible (what you think everyone who doesn’t worship Hurley thinks he is).
I actually think Calhoun is the greatest coach. I just think Hurley is the greatest fit for this program right now.

I am enamored though by this notion of beating other schools for top recruits, especially in the region we reside. Something Hurley is excelling at and something the predecessor struggled with.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think Dan is worried about losing his job.

Reaction Score
The problem sometimes is that he points out what everyone us doing wrong but himself. It makes sense... he needs to keep his job, but it isn't what fans want to hear after his historically atrocious SJU game. Or when our offense looks like crap against nearly every tourney team we played.

He's obviously improving. Game management took a few big steps forward the second half of this season. Recruiting keeps elevating and that's his #1 most important skill. Still needs to work on his adjustments and coaching offense big time.

IMO one of his mentors needs to talk to him about play style and recruiting. We recruit less skilled, but super athletic players. Coach SAYS he wants to play fast fast fast, he has ever since URI. But he's gotten slower every year he's been here and consistently had teams in the 200s or more for pace. Only 1 year did he have a top 100 pace team ever.

And that's fine. Teams can be successful playing slow, tough grind it out games. We need shooters and higher skilled, less athletic players then. But If we want to be a high-intensity pressure defense team, the coach needs to be willing to let the players run. It WILL lead to TOs. But it also leads to easy buckets... with when you have a Rese, Andre, Samson, Akok team filled with mediocre shooters you've got to allow it.

Diggins and Hawkins coming in should help the half-court offense. Hawkins is both athletic and pretty skilled in the half court shooting it... which is why he's a 2 and done NBA player. So it seems like Hurley's already aware to an extent.

Just meandering thoughts. Feel free to ignore.
In the presser he talked about the Development Season (his term for off-season) and he focused on how he and the staff need to get guys to play better. So in that respect, I think he's acknowledging his responsibility. This with his comments about stealing things from other coaches are at the very least indirect claims of personal responsibility.

Sometimes the answer is as simple as the players have to make shots. He knows it's his job to get players that can hit shots and coach guys up to the point where they're able to hit shots. But sometimes the team just has an off night, and I don't really care that he calls it as it is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has a good mind, and lots of energy. He puts in the work. It shows on the recruiting trail. If he is looking for things to steal, then that is music to my ears. My main criticism so far has been inflexibility. He seemed to come here with some fairly fixed notion of how he had to play to win. There are many ways to win games, and the best coaches are going to need to use several of them to match up in games through the season. Hoping we see some more creative offense and some blended defenses, man, zone, soft zones, press, box and 1, throw them all out there. Our pace needs to improve given the players we have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom