Hurley Hauling Talent..Can He Coach Them? | The Boneyard

Hurley Hauling Talent..Can He Coach Them?

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
The shelves are getting loaded but wins in March is what matters….No doubt Hurley is building the culture but we need wins in March to be relevant again.
First season with no Ollie players - yeah
1661956837685.gif

Reaction Score
WOW thats a great point!!! I don't think I've seen anyone mention DH needs to win in March iyet
A couple wins in March would go a long way. Hurley only has 2 NCAA tourney wins in 12 years as a Head Coach, and none yet at UConn. A sweet 16 appearance this season is certainly a possibility though.

Reaction Score
The shelves are getting loaded but wins in March is what matters….No doubt Hurley is building the culture but we need wins in March to be relevant again.
Can we please be specific.....NIT doesn't count

Reaction Score
Said this in a other thread.
Castle has proven he is a five star. Great class put together by this staff. Now got to get wins when it matters.

He coached well in pre-season tournaments last year. Aurburn game. Post-season for UConn standards not proven.

Tyrese having NBA talent awesome development story. But on the other hand should he gave been utilized different? Not many thought he was second round material. But certainly played his way into the second round after the season.

Castle proved it on the floor. Danny needs to do that. BE championship tournament or regulat season would go a long way. But KO has more championships.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Said this in a other thread.

He coached well in pre-season tournaments last year. Aurburn game. Post-season for UConn standards not proven.

Tyrese having NBA talent awesome development story. But on the other hand should he gave been utilized different? Not many thought he was second round material. But certainly played his way into the second round after the season.

Castle proved it on the floor. Danny needs to do that. BE championship tournament or regulat season would go a long way. But KO has more championships.
So does Tyler.

Reaction Score
So does Tyler.
Just making a point can he coach them? Needs to win some big games. At least get out of the first round. Just sayin.. No dis. Just facts. Needs to win post season games. Isn't that the type of program we are?

Reaction Score
A couple wins in March would go a long way. Hurley only has 2 NCAA tourney wins in 12 years as a Head Coach, and none yet at UConn. A sweet 16 appearance this season is certainly a possibility though.
No kidding...this statement has been made over and over again in the BY. DH is well aware he needs to win tournament games

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
What happens in March?
My dad’s birthday is in March. He plays scratch lotto tickets pretty often and could really use a win, so I’m pretty sure that’s the point OP was making. I could be off base here…just reading the tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Just making a point can he coach them? Needs to win some big games. At least get out of the first round. Just sayin.. No dis. Just facts. Needs to win post season games. Isn't that the type of program we are?
Literally everyone knows this not sure what the point is. Can he coach the players is way different than can he win in March.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I fondly remember the days when the UConn bb team was regarded as the donut team, JC was criticized because he could not recruit a legitimate center and people sincerely believed he never would. And many wondered if that limitation necessitated a coaching change.

I just as fondly remember many fans felt that JC was a good coach but he should be replaced if we wanted to get to the final four.

And I sadly remember how JC almost left UConn to coach at South Carolina. The narrative was made he had a home on HHI and wanted to play more golf. Not many people pointed out how disappointed JC was over the poor attendance at Gampel for an NIT game UConn lost at the end of that season.

Reaction Score
I fondly remember the days when the UConn bb team was regarded as the donut team, JC was criticized because he could not recruit a legitimate center and people sincerely believed he never would. And many wondered if that limitation necessitated a coaching change.

I just as fondly remember many fans felt that JC was a good coach but he should be replaced if we wanted to get to the final four.

And I sadly remember how JC almost left UConn to coach at South Carolina. The narrative was made he had a home on HHI and wanted to play more golf. Not many people pointed out how disappointed JC was over the poor attendance at Gampel for an NIT game UConn lost at the end of that season.
Was that the game that Lindsey Hunter did us dirty?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Was that the game that Lindsey Hunter did us dirty?
Second round game against Detroit NIT 2001. Rashad Philips had 26 points and Willie Greene 25 points for Detroit in a 67-61 loss.

Reaction Score

Correct, the narrative was JC couldn't coach offense or recruit centers and would never reach the final four because he was wound too tight and made his teams nervous.

I also remember when the 2010 recruiting class was "proof that JC didn't have it anymore and should retire" That class was Napier, Giffey, Roscoe Smith, Jeremy Lamb, Tyler Olander and Enosch Wolff.

Not long ago Jay Wright was criticized by Nova fans as a lousy tournament coach, especially after we beat them in 2014. Basically there are fans who will be critical of a coach until the coach wins a championship and even then he has five years to win another or he's losing it.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Correct, the narrative was JC couldn't coach offense or recruit centers and would never reach the final four because he was wound too tight and made his teams nervous.

I also remember when the 2010 recruiting class was "proof that JC didn't have it anymore and should retire" That class was Napier, Giffey, Roscoe Smith, Jeremy Lamb, Tyler Olander and Enosch Wolff.

Not long ago Jay Wright was criticized by Nova fans as a lousy tournament coach, especially after we beat them in 2014. Basically there are fans who will be critical of a coach until the coach wins a championship and even then he has five years to win another or he's losing it.
You get my drift. Players and coaches come and go. The only constant are fans. There are multiple ways of characterizing fans. This was my cryptic way to describe one type of characterization. In this point of view there are fans that want to win and there are fans that need to win. And imo this second group contribute to the problem in failures of sports programs as much as poor playing or coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom