Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority' | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley: 'Finding a General Manager is a top priority'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think they're saying the opposite, that he's endowed like someone named Finneran.
Endowed like Kevin Finnerty
Finnerty-MAIN1.jpg

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think we need to come to a boneyard consensus of the pay range for this job. Are we thinking 200k-ish?
Depends on expectations of results (goals) and meeting them. Should advance both the possibilities of income potential for both the recruits to the program and fundraising from alumni and friend$. There should be bonuses for demonstrable results. I like the idea of offering more than just tuition and basketball to recruits. Capitalism is not a dirty word. The recruits coming here are going to have to be highly motivated to succeed on the court. But there is life after basketball and now it provides a financial incentive in a bigger way in the present and future. John Thompson used to keep a deflated basketball on his desk as a reminder to his players that one day there playing days would end. We should want to help them prepare for life beyond basketball.

My wife told me the other day about a national tv weatherman who now is offering a line of higher end umbrellas.

Reaction Score
I would look to the world of business not former players. If you hire a guy to break down game film, you'r missing the most important parts of his job. The GM won't run a draft, his duties will tend to be financial, scheduling, logistics, compliance, operations.

The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for the full-time position of Men’s Basketball General Manager. Responsibilities include: assisting the Head Men’s Basketball Coach in a variety of duties including coordinating practice arrangements; providing support to coaches and student-athletes for practice and game preparation, including attending meetings related to coaching activities which include game analysis and review of game film; assisting, as needed, with data collection including the tracking of team performance statistics during competitions and practice sessions; serving as liaison to all Division offices/departments including, but not limited to, NCAA Compliance, Athletics Facilities/Operations, Tickets and Equipment Services; coordinating on-campus recruiting visits and recruiting paperwork; coordinating team travel arrangements; monitoring the basketball budget; and performing other program duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.

Reaction Score
Greg Economou? Combines former player with actual sports business experience. Like Swin Cash (who I second) would also likely be a step down, but maybe late career return home.

Reaction Score
Greg Economou? Combines former player with actual sports business experience. Like Swin Cash (who I second) would also likely be a step down, but maybe late career return home.
Greg Economou is a CEO. I don't think he's taking a mid level position at a college basketball program.

This is the kind of job you give someone in their 30s who is content making $150-300k a year.

Reaction Score
I would look to the world of business not former players. If you hire a guy to break down game film, you'r missing the most important parts of his job. The GM won't run a draft, his duties will tend to be financial, scheduling, logistics, compliance, operations.

The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for the full-time position of Men’s Basketball General Manager. Responsibilities include: assisting the Head Men’s Basketball Coach in a variety of duties including coordinating practice arrangements; providing support to coaches and student-athletes for practice and game preparation, including attending meetings related to coaching activities which include game analysis and review of game film; assisting, as needed, with data collection including the tracking of team performance statistics during competitions and practice sessions; serving as liaison to all Division offices/departments including, but not limited to, NCAA Compliance, Athletics Facilities/Operations, Tickets and Equipment Services; coordinating on-campus recruiting visits and recruiting paperwork; coordinating team travel arrangements; monitoring the basketball budget; and performing other program duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
Thanks for posting the description. Sticking with my $175-250k DOE salary range. FYI @navery12 this job spec doesn’t come close to the $500k salary you suggested.

Reaction Score

The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for the full-time position of Men’s Basketball General Manager. Responsibilities include: assisting the Head Men’s Basketball Coach in a variety of duties including coordinating practice arrangements; providing support to coaches and student-athletes for practice and game preparation, including attending meetings related to coaching activities which include game analysis and review of game film; assisting, as needed, with data collection including the tracking of team performance statistics during competitions and practice sessions; serving as liaison to all Division offices/departments including, but not limited to, NCAA Compliance, Athletics Facilities/Operations, Tickets and Equipment Services; coordinating on-campus recruiting visits and recruiting paperwork; coordinating team travel arrangements; monitoring the basketball budget; and performing other program duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball
Interesting that there is no specific mention of NIL related responsibilities.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the description. Sticking with my $175-250k DOE salary range. FYI @navery12 this job spec doesn’t come close to the $500k salary you suggested.

This reads similar to the DOBO position. What are the differences?

Reaction Score
Where's the posting? I don't see anything on the UConn Careers site...

Reaction Score
Greg Economou is a CEO. I don't think he's taking a mid level position at a college basketball program.

This is the kind of job you give someone in their 30s who is content making $150-300k a year.
What part of "step down" did you not understand?

Kidding, we are spit-balling here, no wrong answers while brainstorming, certainly not on irrelevant msg boards! Also looks like he's a CCO at ticketmaster, but again splitting hairs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Explain to me a single qualification that Ray Allen has to be a GM of a basketball team.

Yeah I'd go in a slightly different direction on this one and choose somebody qualified for the job (and who might actually want it.)

Reaction Score
Ray doesn’t have anything else going on. Or Emeka. Put that finance degree to work.

Watching your money is a full time job for many. They don't need to get rich, they need to stay rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom