Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions?

Reaction Score
He took his first timeout at what?, under 4 when we were already down 18 and playing like garbage? He continued with the same lineup that got us down 18.

He never ever stops an opposing team's run and continues to play Adams over Gaffney.

Jackson, Gaffney, and Polley should play in front of him.

How many days have we missed due to our ridiculous protocols? Almost a month's worth. There is no way that also has an affect on the team.
Willard on having UConn back at the end of this transcript:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I dont know about rest of thread but hurleys T was dumb. Can’t call it anything but dumb. 2nd time he’s done that recently.

either learn the right game situations and times for T ( and honestly that’s reserved for a select few game coach masters, most are terrible at it) or don’t get them at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree he needs to stop playing Adams and I wish he realized 10 games ago. My point is he did finally realize in the 2nd half today so the question seems pointless
Right.
Adams only played 16 minutes and the Seniors may have been the bigger problem. Looking on the bright side, maybe JG had his breakout game.
Perspective:
Seniors in 51 minutes: 3 for 9 for 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Gaffney in 25 minutes: 5 for 11 (8 for 9 FT's) for 20 points, 1 rebound and 2 assists.
Adams in 16 minutes: 2 for 6 for 5 points, 0 rebounds and 1 assist.

Reaction Score
The players have something to do with that as well. Yeah, he can call a timeout and should but that doesn't guarantee an immediate turnaround. He's far from perfect but the blame game is strong here. Missing our all american, Ajax, Akok, 3 covid layoffs, mssed foul shots and bad defense have played a role in losses as well. Never just one thing. He needs to improve in some areas, but this is a day at the beach compared to a few years ago, especially considering all the obstacles this year and step up in competition. Expectations and people being cooped up have people extra salty this year. I get it. Silver linings are getting old but AJax, Gaff and Sanogo were all encouraging. Bottom line is our season hinges on how soon Bouk comes back and staying away from Covid stops once he does.
Obviously Bouk can change the situation and many factors are at play, but speaking tactically, Hurley has to take some ownership and accountability for letting things get out of hand. He tells the team not to wait for Bouk to come and save the day - the same principals apply to him. There’s no moral victories or acceptable losses. Players miss shots - they’re kids - but you put them in a position to succeed and his failure to adapt over the first 10 minutes of the game was patently poor.

Make them run fixed sets every time down like JC would have if they couldn’t get anything going. Perhaps a time out wouldn’t have changed anything but nothing changes if nothing changes - they were running into a wall again and again (probably the COVID rust) and I didn’t see any attempt to triage that fairly predictable problem.

Maybe he was thinking, I need to let them play through this rust to get into rhythm but it’s hard to dig out from that kind of whole.

its very frustrating...

Reaction Score
I think today it finally sunk into Hurley's head that Adams is not a rotational piece on this team. Spot minutes when there's foul trouble, sure, but he was worse defensively today than he was on offense, which certainly says something. With Jackson back, and hopefully Bouk in a few days, there's no time to pussyfoot around this when we're not a lock for the tournament. Hurley has to make the adjustment immediately.
Adams is a rotational piece in a game you're winning and you want steady play, no turnovers, and solid D.

He's not a guy who's going to turn a bad game around or, frankly, the kind of guy you run out there to start a game when you're looking to punch your opponent in the mouth.

We need to do more of that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I dont know about rest of thread but hurleys T was dumb. Can’t call it anything but.m dumb. 2nd time he’s done that recently.

either learn the right game situations and times for T ( and honestly that’s reserved for a select few game coach masters, most are terrible at it) or don’t get them at all.

@Palatine started a thread on this too.

And yes, refs watch film and see what plays led up to a coach getting a T. While I don't necessarily expect refs to admit screwing up in game, when refs notice a coach lost his mind over a blown call, they will be more likely to give leeway in the future if a coach goes off. When a coach goes off because he's just lost control, they're more likely to T up again in the future.

I will add, the T last game was a BS call because Hurley was having a conversation right next to one ref and the other ref 30' away T'ed him up. Today's T was just dumb. And, I don't expect anyone to hold him accountable for it.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree he needs to stop playing Adams and I wish he realized 10 games ago. My point is he did finally realize in the 2nd half today so the question seems pointless

In his defense, who else was going to play? Without Bouk or Jackson he didn't have much of a choice. Today he finally had the luxury to yank Adams thanks to Jackson's return.

Reaction Score
I think today it finally sunk into Hurley's head that Adams is not a rotational piece on this team. Spot minutes when there's foul trouble, sure, but he was worse defensively today than he was on offense, which certainly says something. With Jackson back, and hopefully Bouk in a few days, there's no time to pussyfoot around this when we're not a lock for the tournament. Hurley has to make the adjustment immediately.
Well he finally got another option to play to replace him that can guard 2s: Jackson. We didn't really have another good option (Gaff had been tentative, Martin was needed to guard others down the line, Polley can't guard 2s.)

Reaction Score
Adams is a rotational piece in a game you're winning and you want steady play, no turnovers, and solid D.

He's not a guy who's going to turn a bad game around or, frankly, the kind of guy you run out there to start a game when you're looking to punch your opponent in the mouth.

We need to do more of that.
His minutes will go way down with Jackson back and Bouknight coming back next game. We've been undermanned the majority of this season but he was still getting too much time. That will change, if it doesn't than we will really have to worry about whether coach has lost his mind.

Reaction Score

I don't see him as a solid defender. I know a lot of folks around here believe that he is but I don't see it. Today he was especially terrible.

Reaction Score
Stop! This loss is not on Hurley, or anybody else on the coaching staff. We had not played in 10 days, and we still don't have Bouknight. That's why we lost.
Let’s put it differently. He didn’t put us in the best position to win. The last 2 minutes were so mismanaged and frittered away I don’t know what he was looking at. The guy suffers from serious tunnel vision.

Reaction Score
Obviously Bouk can change the situation and many factors are at play, but speaking tactically, Hurley has to take some ownership and accountability for letting things get out of hand. He tells the team not to wait for Bouk to come and save the day - the same principals apply to him. There’s no moral victories or acceptable losses. Players miss shots - they’re kids - but you put them in a position to succeed and his failure to adapt over the first 10 minutes of the game was patently poor.

Make them run fixed sets every time down like JC would have if they couldn’t get anything going. Perhaps a time out wouldn’t have changed anything but nothing changes if nothing changes - they were running into a wall again and again (probably the COVID rust) and I didn’t see any attempt to triage that fairly predictable problem.

Maybe he was thinking, I need to let them play through this rust to get into rhythm but it’s hard to dig out from that kind of whole.

its very frustrating...
There are no acceptable losses? We havent earned that kind of entitlement. We are not the Lakers. We are a fringe top 25 team playing without one of the best players in the country coming off our 3rd layoff. We played a solid team that has played 18 games to date. Seton Hall played really well offensively and made some tough shots. I agnowledged Hurley needs to be better but spazzing out saying it's the coaches fault everytime we lose is ridiculous and lacks perspective.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the lack of urgency in taking time-outs gets under the skin of our assistant coaches?

Reaction Score
lol you take a time out to regroup and adjust. You take a time out to try to break up their flow and momentum. Every game is the same thing
Down big early you have to take a timeout and wake the dudes up and/ or make some substitutions. Other than that I don’t know. Very nervous about being an NIT team at best if we don’t start winning some games. Frustrating that we shut down when nobody had covid.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I fail to see what calling a crap ton of time outs in the first half would have accomplished… Seton Hall was making their shots and we were missing ours. As simple as that.

Had trouble getting offensive flow going. Stopping action even more wasn’t gonna do jack schitt
SH played tough defense. We could barely get a shot off the halfway point in the first half. Hard to shoot a three.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Why are people treating this like the end of the world? Seton Hall is a top 4 team in the conference, and we get Bouk back next game. We are a top 3 top 2 team with him, and top 25 in the country. It would’ve been a nice win but we’re gonna rip off a mean winning streak soon.
I hope you are right, because we came off of a fantastic 3 game ROAD TRIP WIN!! ALL CONFERENCE GAMES!!! Only to fall flat. Tough to understand.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
He took his first timeout at what?, under 4 when we were already down 18 and playing like garbage? He continued with the same lineup that got us down 18.

He never ever stops an opposing team's run and continues to play Adams over Gaffney.

Jackson, Gaffney, and Polley should play in front of him.

How many days have we missed due to our ridiculous protocols? Almost a month's worth. There is no way that also has an affect on the team.
Ridiculous post. this is a team that has not played a competitive game in over 10 days. they have to play through the roughness. They have to play to get their offensive cohesion back. they have to reacquire the flow that enables them to play good offense. To continue to stop the game would be counter productive to getting back in some offensive flow. REMINDER: this is not a normal year but the flow of this team has been interrupted too many times.

Hurley has done a great job managing this team through this covid chaos. Gaffney over Adams I agree with and we will probably see more of in the near future.

Reaction Score
His minutes will go way down with Jackson back and Bouknight coming back next game. We've been undermanned the majority of this season but he was still getting too much time. That will change, if it doesn't than we will really have to worry about whether coach has lost his mind.
Adams is a security blanket for Hurley because he's a high-floor guy who is coachable and generally doesn't make mistakes.

But yes, I agree, and I'm optimistic that Hurley recognizes after today that Jackson is worthy of getting those minutes, in addition (obviously) to Bouknight.

Reaction Score
I don't see him as a solid defender. I know a lot of folks around here believe that he is but I don't see it. Today he was especially terrible.
He usually is pretty good, physically strong and intelligent with help D. Yes, today was not very good.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is where Hurley showed he needs to grow as an in game coach.

Besides the opening 5 minutes, with under 2 minutes left in the game, he made defensive replacements to stop Sh which worked. It took the offense the full shot clock to get a layup for Sanogo with a little over a minutes to go. Hall scores and while having 2 timeouts, leaves his more defensive oriented team out there which resulted in a bad pass to Sanogo and a turnover. Call 1 of your timeouts and get the offensive guys back in for that possession. Instead, I think we wound up with having 2 timeouts left in the bag and a loss by 7 points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom