Hurley Coach's Show 1/6/2020 | The Boneyard

Hurley Coach's Show 1/6/2020

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hurley said he and the seniors didn't have the team ready to play on the road ... that the team didn't practice very well - didn't show the urgency in prep, and Hurley wasn't surprised in the outcome since they don't have the mental/physical toughness to absorb being punched in the mouth.

Also Crispino mentioned Sid got those minutes because Akok got in foul trouble. (otherwise may not have been on court). Akok needs to be on the floor ... Hurley thought about starting Bouknight... and without high team defensive intensity it will be tough to win since they have trouble scoring.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I know the losing culture and weak mental/physical toughness started under Ollie, but I really thought in year 2 with these guys that Hurley would have been able to break them. I was wrong. Now I think it's time for a mass exodus of the Ollie hold overs for next year.

My biggest concern is that the longer these guys stay in the system with this poor attitude and complacency with losing, the more likely they are to poison the well of good young talent trickling onto the roster.

Reaction Score
I know the losing culture and weak mental/physical toughness started under Ollie, but I really thought in year 2 with these guys that Hurley would have been able to break them. I was wrong. Now I think it's time for a mass exodus of the Ollie hold overs for next year.

My biggest concern is that the longer these guys stay in the system with this poor attitude and complacency with losing, the more likely they are to poison the well of good young talent trickling onto the roster.
100% agree

Reaction Score

He should've pulled the plug right away, then had a chance after the season was over, he's gotta find some places for them to go after this season. These guys aren't going to change and you will start seeing the frustration boil over with the younger guys.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He should've pulled the plug right away, then had a chance after the season was over, he's gotta find some places for them to go after this season. These guys aren't going to change and you will start seeing the frustration boil over with the younger guys.

I wish some of our fans could transfer to another site.

Reaction Score
As a coach, there is only so much you can do to get your team ready to play mentally. These kids are 18-22 and the message gets stale. I don't defend Hurley often, but the travel schedule plays a part in this.

It is up to the leaders of the team to make sure everyone is ready to play every game. The best team I ever coached had a senior that everyone respected because of his work ethic and tenacity. If he didn't think someone was ready to play he would make it known and correct it before the tip.

We have no senior leadership. The closest thing we have is Vital, and he plays hard, but he is not a vocal leader.

Josh is a sheep. Tyler is a sheep. Alterique is a sheep. Whaley is a sheep.

It can't all come from Hurley. That is what we are desperately missing. We need a mean to take control and lead.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Teams with good offensive and defensive schemes usually seem to have good leadership and toughness.

Reaction Score
Hurley said he and the seniors didn't have the team ready to play on the road ... that the team didn't practice very well - didn't show the urgency in prep, and Hurley wasn't surprised in the outcome since they don't have the mental/physical toughness to absorb being punched in the mouth.

Also Crispino mentioned Sid got those minutes because Akok got in foul trouble. (otherwise may not have been on court). Akok needs to be on the floor ... Hurley thought about starting Bouknight... and without high team defensive intensity it will be tough to win since they have trouble scoring.
Well, not sure if this comment is out of context but seems like it is the job of the coach(es) to get the team ready to play and have urgency in practice. Hurley said in an earlier interview that I did listen to that he was running a hard practice before a cup cake game to make sure the team's mentality was good. This is HCRE2.0 type b*llsh*t, it is job one to get the players ready to play. So they bomb at Cincinnati and still sleep walk into the next game?
Hurley has coached the upper class guys for about 45 games and he can't get them ready to play? Maybe they think his strategy of running around like chickens with their heads cut off on defense and high screening 30 feet from the basket while the wings are each glued to the baseline corners just ain't going to work.
I keep asking where is the positive impact by Hurley on individual players skills and BB IQ and would like someone to describe the shots his offense (half court) is designed to get.
I want to see kid doesn't do what is wanted, take him out, talk it over, then put him back in as appropriate. Team not trying, put in walkons. This looks like Ollie2.0. Lack of high level D1 skill is one thing, playing like these last 2 games is bad coaching.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
All this "not ready to play" coach-speak is triggering my PTSD from the former regime...
Agreed. And I know what would happen to a Calhoun coached team if they were not ready to play. His iron will and his boot in your ass would make it so it never happened again.... this is why it rarely happened. It is like MJ, Bird, and Magic, they did not allow you to "not be ready to play." They would come over to your house in the middle of night and put an end to you. :)

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Agreed. And I know what would happen to a Calhoun coached team if they were not ready to play. His iron will and his boot in your ass would make it so it never happened again.... this is why it rarely happened. It is like MJ, Bird, and Magic, they did not allow you to "not be ready to play." They would come over to your house in the middle of night and put an end to you. :)
Okay, maybe not Magic... he would hit you in the face with the ball on the court when you weren't looking though.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun, Jordan, Bird, and Magic.

Healthy expectations here.

Reaction Score
I believe changing up the starting lineup (even if it's a temporary thing) to include Bouknight and Adams over Gilbert and Polley would create a sense of urgency and understanding that no one's position/minutes is safe on this team, especially with regards to our upperclassmen

Reaction Score

How many Ollie holdovers will even be on the roster next year? Polley, Josh, Sid, Whaley...anybody else? I am all for improving the talent level, but something doesn't feel quite right about squeezing a guy out. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age.

Reaction Score

gilbert and Vital are gone next year and the other guys are juniors and it makes little sense for any of them to leave, although I guess one guy leaving is possible. Want to cut their minutes? Fine. But all of these guys besides Vital have played in more games and practices with Hurley than KO. They have all bought into Hurley already or else they would have left a while ago. The roster needs to improve and recruiting is trending in the right direction but whatever is going on with the current players should not be this bad. These are Hurley’s guys. All of them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Calling you out on this one
If you honestly think that CV and AG have a poor attitude and are complacent with losing you are crazy. I know these kids and have spoken a lot to them over the years - there's not a quitting or poor attitude with either, unlike Vance Jackson and Enoch.
And neither are physically tough? CV isn't but Bout and Gaffney are?
Let's ask the players if these two kids are "poisoning" them - better yet please ask DH this directly by calling in his show and ask him that, being that you seem so positive of this as a fact
All the haters can talk about their play if it makes you feel better but to question their attitude is pure BS. Enough of this crap. You've all heard CV and AG talk- there is not a hint of this in them.
Remarkable how DH decided to assign to blame others with not having the team ready, what the hell is UConn paying this guy for - a sideline show? I've coached for 30 years and would never blame my players for not being ready to play - that's on me
If the team wasn't ready and had bad practice that's on the staff's shoulders
Many addressed the caustic tenure of some posts and now you come out slaying a few players with accusations of poor attitudes, nonchalant about winning and being poison to the younger players.
Real nice

Reaction Score

BINGO!

Reaction Score
Calling you out on this one
If you honestly think that CV and AG have a poor attitude and are complacent with losing you are crazy. I know these kids and have spoken a lot to them over the years - there's not a quitting or poor attitude with either, unlike Vance Jackson and Enoch.
And neither are physically tough? CV isn't but Bout and Gaffney are?
Let's ask the players if these two kids are "poisoning" them - better yet please ask DH this directly by calling in his show and ask him that, being that you seem so positive of this as a fact
All the haters can talk about their play if it makes you feel better but to question their attitude is pure BS. Enough of this crap. You've all heard CV and AG talk- there is not a hint of this in them.
Remarkable how DH decided to assign to blame others with not having the team ready, what the hell is UConn paying this guy for - a sideline show? I've coached for 30 years and would never blame my players for not being ready to play - that's on me
If the team wasn't ready and had bad practice that's on the staff's shoulders
Many addressed the caustic tenure of some posts and now you come out slaying a few players with accusations of poor attitudes, nonchalant about winning and being poison to the younger players.
Real nice
He said "He and the seniors." Also, Jim Calhoun went after his players in post game pressers on a regular basis. Coaches do it all the time. Let's not pretend it's some foreign bizarre thing.

Reaction Score
He said "He and the seniors." Also, Jim Calhoun went after his players in post game pressers on a regular basis. Coaches do it all the time. Let's not pretend it's some foreign bizarre thing.
The guy is a drama queen.

Reaction Score

Can you elaborate?

Reaction Score

Have you ever listened to Vital after a loss and actually thought that kid has a poor attitude or is complacent with losing? Gilbert strikes you the same way? I don’t think you could be more off base.

And I’m tired of the whole “new guys/KO guys” horsesh**. They’re all Uconn guys. And if you’ve been paying attention you’d realize they’ve all pretty much stunk the last two games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom