Hurley Coach's Show 1/6/2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Coach's Show 1/6/2020

Reaction Score
Can you elaborate?
He should have had the talk with our players a long time ago and told them there are better places for them to play and he would help them with finding fits for them and then brought in different players.

Reaction Score
Have you ever listened to Vital after a loss and actually thought that kid has a poor attitude or is complacent with losing? Gilbert strikes you the same way? I don’t think you could be more off base.

And I’m tired of the whole “new guys/KO guys” horsesh**. They’re all Uconn guys. And if you’ve been paying attention you’d realize they’ve all pretty much stunk the last two games.
They've all been bad the past two games but the young guys looked better than the vete. The 3 and 4 year guys have pretty much stunk for 3 and 4 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He should have had the talk with our players a long time ago and told them there are better places for them to play and he would help them with finding fits for them and then brought in different players.

Are you saying there are players just hanging around waiting for Hurley to call them that are better than the players currently on the roster? Why on earth hasn't Hurley called them yet?

Reaction Score
these are not all Hurley's players. the y are all on his team and he is trying to meld them in with his recruits but he would not have recruited any of the upper classmen IMO. I wou;d imagine that he had the same problem early on with Wagner and Rhode Island. These upper classmen are a step too slow for his defensive schemes and it will take some time to refine the two groups together. I just want to see a decent effort in defense and hopefully it will correct some of the bad shooting. Right now they are not there (obviously).

Reaction Score
Are you saying there are players just hanging around waiting for Hurley to call them that are better than the players currently on the roster? Why on earth hasn't Hurley called them yet?
No, Hurley hasn't told any players to move on to other schools since he's been here. It's a mistake.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No, Hurley hasn't told any players to move on to other schools since he's been here. It's a mistake.

Didn’t you promise us all throughout last season he’d do that?

Reaction Score
Didn’t you promise us all throughout last season he’d do that?
Well, actually he did have the talk with the player I alluded to all season and try to push the player out but the player wouldn't leave. In the end he didn't feel comfortable yanking his scholarship.

Reaction Score
Well, actually he did have the talk with the player I alluded to all season and try to push the player out but the player wouldn't leave. In the end he didn't feel comfortable yanking his scholarship.

Well, if it was Whaley, he at least tries harder this year than half the team with half the talent they have.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Calling you out on this one
If you honestly think that CV and AG have a poor attitude and are complacent with losing you are crazy. I know these kids and have spoken a lot to them over the years - there's not a quitting or poor attitude with either, unlike Vance Jackson and Enoch.
And neither are physically tough? CV isn't but Bout and Gaffney are?
Let's ask the players if these two kids are "poisoning" them - better yet please ask DH this directly by calling in his show and ask him that, being that you seem so positive of this as a fact
All the haters can talk about their play if it makes you feel better but to question their attitude is pure BS. Enough of this crap. You've all heard CV and AG talk- there is not a hint of this in them.
Remarkable how DH decided to assign to blame others with not having the team ready, what the hell is UConn paying this guy for - a sideline show? I've coached for 30 years and would never blame my players for not being ready to play - that's on me
If the team wasn't ready and had bad practice that's on the staff's shoulders
Many addressed the caustic tenure of some posts and now you come out slaying a few players with accusations of poor attitudes, nonchalant about winning and being poison to the younger players.
Real nice

Have you ever listened to Vital after a loss and actually thought that kid has a poor attitude or is complacent with losing? Gilbert strikes you the same way? I don’t think you could be more off base.

And I’m tired of the whole “new guys/KO guys” horsesh**. They’re all Uconn guys. And if you’ve been paying attention you’d realize they’ve all pretty much stunk the last two games.

The players say they want to win, and I'm sure they do want to on some level. But how many slow starts have we witnessed over the past 4 years? They can talk all they want about how it hurts to lose, but until they start to play like it I won't believe it. If they hate losing that much, they should come out and play like their life depends on a win.

Look at the losses we have had to less talented teams over the past 4 years, almost all of them have the same common thread... slow starts, a late push to come back that falls short and an expression of "grief" in the post game interview room. You can definitely assign blame to the coaching staff's game plan, but once the ball is tipped its the up to the 5 guys on the court to play with fire and guts. Over and over again they come out and get punched in the face and play like they are stunned. When it keeps happening, it's not insane to question the team's physical and mental toughness to push through difficult situations (which the results have consistently proven they cannot, up to this point).

This debacle falls on everyone from the staff to the players (and I never said just AG / CV). And something clearly NEEDS to change, so its either the coaching staff or the players. We already changed the coaching staff once with this group and the results haven't looked much different... maybe it's time we change the players.

P.S. There is nothing I'd like to see more than Hurley and this group of kids finish the season strong and have a shot at the NCAA tournament. They are all GREAT kids and we're lucky as fans to have had them stick through the tough times. But at the end of the day, if they are going to talk the talk, they have got to walk the walk. Until then, they aren't getting my sympathy.

Reaction Score
The players say they want to win, and I'm sure they do want to on some level. But how many slow starts have we witnessed over the past 4 years? They can talk all they want about how it hurts to lose, but until they start to play like it I won't believe it. If they hate losing that much, they should come out and play like their life depends on a win.

Look at the losses we have had to less talented teams over the past 4 years, almost all of them have the same common thread... slow starts, a late push to come back that falls short and an expression of "grief" in the post game interview room. You can definitely assign blame to the coaching staff's game plan, but once the ball is tipped its the up to the 5 guys on the court to play with fire and guts. Over and over again they come out and get punched in the face and play like they are stunned. When it keeps happening, it's not insane to question the team's physical and mental toughness to push through difficult situations (which the results have consistently proven they cannot, up to this point).

This debacle falls on everyone from the staff to the players (and I never said just AG / CV). And something clearly NEEDS to change, so its either the coaching staff or the players. We already changed the coaching staff once with this group and the results haven't looked much different... maybe it's time we change the players.

P.S. There is nothing I'd like to see more than Hurley and this group of kids finish the season strong and have a shot at the NCAA tournament. They are all GREAT kids and we're lucky as fans to have had them stick through the tough times. But at the end of the day, if they are going to talk the talk, they have got to walk the walk. Until then, they aren't getting my sympathy.
That's a pretty rational response. Not sure what you plan on doing with that around here.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty rational response. Not sure what you plan on doing with that around here.
It is not rational to not put this squarely on the head coach. These are not the same kids. Have 3 talented freshman with high energy added into the mix. Starting out poorly in games is a reflection on the head coaches game plan. All the upper class players have 45 or so games under Hurley.
Hair on fire on defense and comatose on offense is not the way to play.
Why isn't the Tulane coach having more problems in year one taking his rag tag Tulane team over than Hurley is having in year two? Tulane went 0 for the AAC in 2018-19 and DID NOT WIN A GAME LAST YEAR AFTER 12/31/18! Beat Tulane by 16 at home about this time last year, let's see how we do in year 2 of the Hurley regime.

Reaction Score
He didn't put this squarely on the head coach, but no need to perpetuate the banter. Just read what was written.

Reaction Score
Why is Mick Cronin struggling big time at UCLA but Tulane isn't? Because each situation is different in its own way and has its own unique challenges. There is no transitive property in sports. The "we beat this team, so we should be able to beat that team" or the "they accomplished this, so we should be able to accomplish that"....it never adds up or works that way.

Reaction Score

Yeah but what about his question? Were we going to be the first team in the country to start a three player lineup after he ran off 70% of the roster, or are you really saying that Hurley - in year one - was going to run off most of the roster and replace them with better players?

Reaction Score
Yeah but what about his question? Were we going to be the first team in the country to start a three player lineup after he ran off 70% of the roster, or are you really saying that Hurley - in year one - was going to run off most of the roster and replace them with better players?
Yes, I think he could have/should have run off a significant amount of the roster and replaced them with better players/better players for his style. Hurley hasn't cast a wide net recruiting yet.

Cincy had 2 players graduate and 5 players transfer and Brannen in his first year fields a team that kicked the ever-living cr@p out of us.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes, I think he could have/should have run off a significant amount of the roster and replaced them with better players/better players for his style. Hurley hasn't cast a wide net recruiting yet.

Cincy had 2 players graduate and 5 players transfer and Brannen in his first year fields a team that kicked the ever-living cr@p out of us.

You’d have a meltdown if players with those rankings/backgrounds came here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom