Hurley coaching style discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley coaching style discussion

Reaction Score
You can only run what the quality of your players allows. I bet KO drew up a better offense than his players executed. This whole thing only works starting with getting talent. Guys who can actually make shots too. Then you can do a lot of things. I thing many here think Hurley has some kind of magic bag. I’m planning on an uptick in intensity but talent is what we still need.

C

Chief00

Agreed but no chemistry. Big egos and Calhoun didn’t know how to handle the AO/Drummond situation
In fairness to Jim, people forget he was under NCAA suspension for several games and missed other games due to health issues that season. Boatright also had a suspension that season further messing up team chemistry.

Reaction Score
You can only run what the quality of your players allows. I bet KO drew up a better offense than his players executed. This whole thing only works starting with getting talent. Guys who can actually make shots too. Then you can do a lot of things. I thing many here think Hurley has some kind of magic bag. I’m planning on an uptick in intensity but talent is what we still need.
Defense and passing can overcome a lot of offensive deficiencies because they lead to open shots and layups.

The guys have to put in a lot of work to improve themselves, but if hurley can get them playing better defense, and get them to pass the ball and cut on offense with purpose, we'll see a better team.

How many times did Ollie's teams go into an offensive with the PG crossing half court and passing the ball to the 2/3 on the wing only for the wing to pass the ball immediately back. This wasn't an accident, it was by design. It didn't create movement or necessitate any reaction by the defense, it only wasted time.

Contrast that with Hurley's teams who have multiple clips of guys getting a rebound or steal that leads to 3-5 passes without the ball touching the floor and ending up with a layup at the other end.

Hurley, can't create miracles, but he doesn't have to. He just has to get back to basics. The ball moves faster through the air, than the dribble. And if the team buys into his style, they have the athletes to turn this around. If they buy in, AND, improve their individual play (shooting, etc), then we can be a tournament team within a year or two.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
In fairness to Jim, people forget he was under NCAA suspension for several games and missed other games due to health issues that season. Boatright also had a suspension that season further messing up team chemistry.
Yup. Completely forgot about that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Getting Boat and Bazz to play together so well was no small feat. KO doesn't get enough credit for this IMO.

Reaction Score
Offense: Hurley likes to play 4 out, 1 in. So a 4 or 5 that can shoot the ball and is more mobile on offense is ideal. Otherwise you may see a SF at the 4 for stretches.

Defense: High pressure on ball D that extends outward on the perimeter. He will willingly give the most up in the midrange area, which mathematically makes sense as those are the least efficient shots in the game. Then ideally, he'll have a big shot blocker to protect the rim. This reminds me of Calhoun in the way he would have his guards funnel their man to a rim protector should they choose to drive.

Someone like Akok who can both shoot and be a huge weak side rim defender is perfect for this. So hopefully we can close the deal there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
" Great offense scores points, defense wins championships", an old quote I think Hurley agrees with.

C

Chief00

Getting Boat and Bazz to play together so well was no small feat. KO doesn't get enough credit for this IMO.

So true, they had all this Boston vs Chicago stuff going on - I asked Boat to explain it to me and I still really did not understand the heart of the issue but they were both convinced this Boston vs Chicago thing was very real.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
So true, they had all this Boston vs Chicago stuff going on - I asked Boat to explain it to me and I still really did not understand the heart of the issue but they were both convinced this Boston vs Chicago thing was very real.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Hurley
+1 -1
Husky

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I was talking to someone today, who's pretty in the know, asked him what Hurley's style is going to be like he said "circa 90s Jim Calhoun"

Reaction Score
I was talking to someone today, who's pretty in the know, asked him what Hurley's style is going to be like he said "circa 90s Jim Calhoun"

I have an "insider" 3rd party hearsay but Xtreemly credible source that gave me a great example of something that happened in the gym recently regarding a player and DH. This place ain't like the other fun team boards though so moving right along...

haha...

C

Chief00

I think there’s some truth to that. At least, he’s not requested Calhoun’s communication back to Sept 2012 as KO’s attorney has. I wonder how that is going over with the HOF coach?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think there’s some truth to that. At least, he’s not requested Calhoun’s communication back to Sept 2012 as KO’s attorney has. I wonder how that is going over with the HOF coach?
Why don't you ask him?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Anyone know how Hurley and the staff feel about these advanced analytics like BPMs and the like?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone know how Hurley and the staff feel about these advanced analytics like BPMs and the like?
I heard he's an expert on the Blaze strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom