Hurley coaching style discussion | The Boneyard

Hurley coaching style discussion

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Just wanted to start a general discussion about what type of style we’re going to play.

UconnU

Reaction Score
General questions I have. Does he always play man to man or does he mix in a zone? Does he run the same system as his father/brother? Does he run the same system he ran at St. B? How animated does he get on the sideline? How hard does he work the refs?

Reaction Score
General questions I have. Does he always play man to man or does he mix in a zone? Does he run the same system as his father/brother? Does he run the same system he ran at St. B? How animated does he get on the sideline? How hard does he work the refs?

I think the frequency with which he played zone at URI, was about the same as frequency for snow in Phoenix...in fairness... likely contingent on personnel...
Gets VERY animated on the sideline...(scale of 1-10, probably an 8, down from 11 two years ago)...has scaled back working refs, but certainly no slacker in that regard.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How animated does he get on the sideline? How hard does he work the refs?

More than JC. So much so that he embarrassed his wife, boss, and even himself (when watching film). So much so that he would make his team tight. He's been learning to chill out on the sideline; Tom Moore was helpful in that. But under no circumstance will he be 'unnoticed'.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody's gonna be wowed by his offense. At least from what I saw at URI. Coming in, this is something that I thought was one of his weaker areas.

It's not going to be like Ollie's, mind you, but don't expect a thing of beauty. I imagine what I saw at URI was a function of personnel. Hopefully he tailors it to what he has.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I think the frequency with which he played zone at URI, was about the same as frequency for snow in Phoenix...in fairness... likely contingent on personnel...
Gets VERY animated on the sideline...(scale of 1-10, probably an 8, down from 11 two years ago)...has scaled back working refs, but certainly no slacker in that regard.
Good, I would love nothing more than to never see Uconn play zone again.

Reaction Score
Good, I would love nothing more than to never see Uconn play zone again.

Flip side to that...his teams didn't really play well against them either...again, could be personnel...or, could be never practicing against it...or combo of both

Reaction Score
From what I watched of URI, his game plans are very similar to that of JC. High intensity team defense, getting up into the ball handlers ala Ryan Boatright and Shabazz napier in 2014. As for offense, also very similar to JC, which was not a thing of beauty by any means but still got the job done. We will be going back to the days of defense winning ball games (I hope), but winning is winning no matter how ugly it is.

Reaction Score

Hurley favors man to man, but at Wagner and in his early years at URI he would switch defenses a lot -- not to the extent JC did when first at UConn, but there were some zones thrown in to change things up.

Reaction Score
I don't think anybody's gonna be wowed by his offense. At least from what I saw at URI. Coming in, this is something that I thought was one of his weaker areas.

It's not going to be like Ollie's, mind you, but don't expect a thing of beauty. I imagine what I saw at URI was a function of personnel. Hopefully he tailors it to what he has.

If you're equating "pretty" to a motion offense, then no, you won't call it pretty. The offense is based off of spacing and dribble penetration.

Reaction Score
Hurley favors man to man, but at Wagner and in his early years at URI he would switch defenses a lot -- not to the extent JC did when first at UConn, but there were some zones thrown in to change things up.

You'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable, but if someone gave me an over/under of 10 minutes for how much zone they played all year last year. I'd guess/bet heavy on the under...

Reaction Score
Lots of pressure defense to generate offense.
Last year, we had star players admitting they started slow and were not ready at the tipoff.
That will be an issue next year with this coach in the coming year

Reaction Score

I wonder if young or hunter will be our offense guys. It would be a great testament to hurleys leadership if hes willing to adapt

Reaction Score
I'd be "PSY"ched if they played Gangnam Style
I think we just spent the last few years playing Gangnam stylve because we were on our way to becoming as irrelevant as PSY

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you're equating "pretty" to a motion offense, then no, you won't call it pretty. The offense is based off of spacing and dribble penetration.

Sure, same as JC. Just pointing out that it is not the modern offense that basketball is trending towards.

This will definitely be more of a win it with defense type team, with lots of points being generated that way.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
General questions I have. Does he always play man to man or does he mix in a zone?
Primarily man-to-man with an emphasis on 1) protecting the 3-point line and 2) generating turnovers. This sometimes comes at the expense of rebounding, at which his teams have only been good-not-great. I suspect he signed Yakwe because of his quickness and length – he's a guy who can protect the rim, protect the 3-point line, hedge a pick-and-roll and grab a rebound all on the same possession.

He has mixed in a zone at times but very, very selectively.

Does he run the same system as his father/brother?
Offensively he ran a motion offense with shared playmaking responsibilities. They were good at generating plays moving toward the hoop, though they didn't generate a ton of open threes. I've yet to see him run a real post offense, though I suspect that's going to be on the menu given how highly he rates Carlton.

Does he run the same system he ran at St. B?
I doubt it. He's been flexible over the years, willing to tailor his schemes to his personnel.

How animated does he get on the sideline? How hard does he work the refs?
VERY, and very.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Randomly was recommended this video on youtube. I guess Bobby Hurley had a shoe deal at one point.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Yeah, I’d imagine that it had to do more with personnel. He also has a really good coaching staff and has already met with Gene and Calhoun and will continue to pick their brains

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom