Hurley breaks down the 21-22 roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley breaks down the 21-22 roster

Reaction Score
haha until the first hockey line change happens and posters start complaining about hockey line changes
Let's hope it doesn't get to that point (the complaining part, that is lol).

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Akok is a gamer. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him come out and put his stamp on the game. He needs to hit open shots and make some defensive plays to get going. He may be a guy that needs a real game to show everyone he can be productive again. I always felt his composure in an actual game was one of his bigger assets.
Composure on the court and undeniable full time intensity. Reminds me of Ray Allen statement......................"play hard but stay calm". A very unique order of self control on the court. Can't wait for him to make a comeback. Great on court example for others.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
About what I expected. But he is really raving about Hawkins recently, even made the comment on a podcast that Hawkins is in the mix to start (seemingly competing against Gaff & Jackson for that spot). I’ve been saying for awhile, this team will go as far as those 3 guys can take them. If they can help replace Bouk production, this team can be really good.
Hawkins will replace Bouk himself if he gets the minutes as far as scoring is concerned. There will be an improvement, without a doubt, in consistency, desire and heart.

Reaction Score
Hawkins will replace Bouk himself if he gets the minutes as far as scoring is concerned. There will be an improvement, without a doubt, in consistency, desire and heart.
You’re expecting Hawkins to score more than Bouk did last season and be more consistent as a freshman? The hatred around here for a guy that turned himself into a lotto pick is odd. Hawkins looks promising, but ain’t no way he’s scoring 20 a game. I’d be thrilled if he’s able to replicate Bouks freshman year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't mind Cole being second leader scorer, but I'd like him closer to 11-12 than 15 ppg. I'd rather see him consistently being the 3rd or 4th scorer while Sanogo is leading scorer and other players step up each night as the #2 scorer.
Scoring 15 ppg means he's approaching 20 points more than occasionally and that's too much offense coming out of the PG spot for me on this team.
When Hurley says he "needs" Cole to be scoring that much for the team to get where it wants to be tells me others haven't stepped up their game enough to score consistently.
I'm okay with Cole but I really like him better as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Mid-range shots are dunks for Jackson. Just jump over the defender at that point

Yeah he doesn't need much of a midrange shot. If he gets to the foul line without a defender on him then he's either gonna have the option to attack the rim, or he can use his great vision to find the open man when the defense steps up.

Reaction Score
If they can get high performance scoring (relative to the flow of the game or relative to the point total of the game) as Randle and Fournier gave the Knicks last night, then the point guard can just be the facilitator with hopefully good defense to go with it.

This all depends on what the other players are doing as you mentioned. Hurley's observation may be telling.

If somehow, Cole scores 20 plus and the team wins, so be it. Seems there is enough potential complementary talent for that not to be the case.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Everyone talking scoring scoring scoring. Read what he said. It's often about defense.

Cole really improved on D. So did Sanogo. Whaley we know. Martin is very solid and can guard a variety of guys. The 5th spot may go to AJax (causing the Yard to explode due to perceived weak outside shooting) because Hurley described his defense as elite.

Coming in, you guys said Hawk was a good defender. If he shows that, and Gaffney is still defensively challenged, Gaff is going to struggle for minutes except as backup PG. It doesn't seem like Diggins is going to play much, so Gaff will still get those minutes. Polley: DH said he'd play if he rebounds and defends. That's a big if. Akok: he can be an impact defender, has to show he can do it.

Reaction Score
I don't mind Cole being second leader scorer, but I'd like him closer to 11-12 than 15 ppg. I'd rather see him consistently being the 3rd or 4th scorer while Sanogo is leading scorer and other players step up each night as the #2 scorer.
Scoring 15 ppg means he's approaching 20 points more than occasionally and that's too much offense coming out of the PG spot for me on this team.
When Hurley says he "needs" Cole to be scoring that much for the team to get where it wants to be tells me others haven't stepped up their game enough to score consistently.
I'm okay with Cole but I really like him better as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

I'd like to see RJ as ~15ppg (vs your desired 11-12) as a result of him shooting ~42-45% from 3PT range and through quaity "good shot hunting". Which I think he can do.

Reaction Score
Everyone talking scoring scoring scoring. Read what he said. It's often about defense.

Cole really improved on D. So did Sanogo. Whaley we know. Martin is very solid and can guard a variety of guys. The 5th spot may go to AJax (causing the Yard to explode due to perceived weak outside shooting) because Hurley described his defense as elite.

Coming in, you guys said Hawk was a good defender. If he shows that, and Gaffney is still defensively challenged, Gaff is going to struggle for minutes except as backup PG. It doesn't seem like Diggins is going to play much, so Gaff will still get those minutes. Polley: DH said he'd play if he rebounds and defends. That's a big if. Akok: he can be an impact defender, has to show he can do it.
Defense is a key in Hurley’s mind but nearly everyone here focuses on the offense.

Reaction Score
Defense is a key in Hurley’s mind but nearly everyone here focuses on the offense.
That's because the offense is the question mark. There's no doubt that this team is going to play great to elite defense every night. There's not much discussion to be had when everyone is in complete agreement something will happen

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

No way a team in 2021 start Cole, Jax, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd like to see RJ as ~15ppg (vs your desired 11-12) as a result of him shooting ~42-45% from 3PT range and through quaity "good shot hunting". Which I think he can do.

I'd love to see RJ shoot 42%-45% from 3 as well but there every bit of data of three seasons of college basketball says he is nowhere near that level of shooting.

Reaction Score
No way a team in 2021 start Cole, Jax, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo.

I think it's possible really early on vs the cupcakes if Hurley wants to show that defense matters most. Or if 1 or 2 of Whaley, Jackson, Martin have shown more consistent shooting in practice.

Without changes in their shooting I would HATE to see that being the lineup going into some of our stronger OOC competition.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about AJ. I don't read that he is ready to be the man on this team as most here thought he would be by now. Has he develped a shot to the point where he needs to be guarded? Can he play one on one man defense without fouling? Has he tightened up his handle? Now I read he may not start, that would be disappointing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it's possible really early on vs the cupcakes if Hurley wants to show that defense matters most. Or if 1 or 2 of Whaley, Jackson, Martin have shown more consistent shooting in practice.

Without changes in their shooting I would HATE to see that being the lineup going into some of our stronger OOC competition.

I'll buy that.

Cupcake lineup take a point.

But yeah, if this lineup spends any time on the door against NCAA tourney level teams, it will be ugly.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley could very easily talk himself into giving Jackson that last spot as a way of out athleting the cupcakes and giving him the chance to prove he should start moving forward. The defense would be more elite with him as well, in theory, but the defense should also be great with one weak link(Polley/Hawkins/Gaffney). Tbh it's probably all about Hawkins readiness at this point, since Jackson isn't going to out shoot him.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about AJ. I don't read that he is ready to be the man on this team as most here thought he would be by now. Has he develped a shot to the point where he needs to be guarded? Can he play one on one man defense without fouling? Has he tightened up his handle? Now I read he may not start, that would be disappointing.
Maybe you are just exaggerating but few if any on this board said he was going to be "the man" this year. Almost everyone has stated he needsto improve his ability to score but has potential to do a lot of good things on the court. I really haven't seen anyone mention he'd be our 3rd leading scorer let alone our top one or two bucket getters.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see RJ shoot 42%-45% from 3 as well but there every bit of data of three seasons of college basketball says he is nowhere near that level of shooting.
Actually, in the last 16 games, which is a pretty big sample size, RJ averaged:
13.4 PPG
4.6 APG (to only 1.6 TO)
3.1 RPG
1.3 SPG
41% from the field
42% from 3

I think it took him time to get settled after the redshirt year and Bouknight’s injury allowed him to play a little more freely. I’m expecting a very solid year from Cole in which I ultimately pray in April/May that he decides to return for a super senior year to lead us to a final four in 2022-2023.

Reaction Score
Ok so here's the starting lineup Game1

1. RJ Cole
2. Tyrese Martin
3. AJax
4. Wrench
5. Adama Sanogo

First Guard - Gaffney
First W - Hawk
First B - Akok

And Here's my ideal rotation

1. RJ Cole
2. Hawk
3. AJax
4. Tyrese
5. Sanogo

First G - Gaffney
First Wing - Polley
First B - Wrench or Samson

Notes: Wow. We are truly an injury proof team. Don't mean to jinx it but this team is quality deep 1-12. One thing I realized different than last year was how hard it was to find someone to take out of the starting 5. I mean if you think Hawk is going to start this year, either Tyrese/AJax has to be demoted or Wrench has to sit. Absent of injury it would be pretty surprising for Hawkins to "start" cuz it would mean benching one of the stalwarts.
No. We are not injury proof. This team is one RJ Cole or Sanogo injury away from disaster.

Reaction Score
13.4 PPG
4.6 APG (to only 1.6 TO)
3.1 RPG
1.3 SPG
41% from the field
42% from 3

I think it took him time to get settled after the redshirt year and Bouknight’s injury allowed him to play a little more freely. I’m expecting a very solid year from Cole in which I ultimately pray in April/May that he decides to return for a super senior year to lead us to a final four in 2022-2023.
Why wouldnt he return? Hes likely a fringe first rounder unless he absolutely explodes this season. Im an RJ fan and kept the faith last season when many did not but i cant imagine him not coming back for his senior year.

Reaction Score
Why wouldnt he return? Hes likely a fringe first rounder unless he absolutely explodes this season. Im an RJ fan and kept the faith last season when many did not but i cant imagine him not coming back for his senior year.
First rounder for what? RJ is a nice player, but he’s not an NBA player. Could make a nice career overseas potentially. RJ has already graduated, he’s a 5th year senior right now. Can’t blame him either way, but if he does stay, he’ll get a masters degree for free. Not a bad option really.

Reaction Score
13.4 PPG
4.6 APG (to only 1.6 TO)
3.1 RPG
1.3 SPG
41% from the field
42% from 3

agree. if you look at his stats at Howard, he dramatically improved his efficiency from freshman and sophomore year. It was totally expected that moving to a high-level conference like the big Eastwood be a learning curve… The last half of last season his numbers were actually really really good.

I expect him to take more steps forward this season and I can’t wait to see it happen.

Reaction Score
This is his senior year already, and it's really already a super senior year because it's his 5th year. Returning for his 6th year of college is far from a given

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom