Hurley and Creighton Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley and Creighton Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Can't blame the coach for the layup. Blame the kid who didn't work to stay in front of his man twice. You really don't think for a minute Hurley gave instructions to let them have a layup. Also the two missed free throws at the 21 second mark left the game within reach.
End-game substitutions matter, you gotta have someone, in this case Carlton, in the game to deter darn near a direct-line drive to the bucket. Those substitutions are placed in the hands of the hc. With that said, Hurley will get this straightened out. We are good with Hurley.

Reaction Score
Early in the game Cole had a lot of help defense to hold Zegs down. In crunch time help defense is less prevalent because each player is intent on stopping their man. When it counted Zegs took Cole to the rack twice with little resistance. And on the second Cole was bailed out by a lucky swipe that could have just as easily been an And 1. A foul on the second drive when he reached from behind would have lost the game without the OT.
All of this is wrong.

Reaction Score
What may look tentative to some of us is actually the kid doing his job of trying to make a play for someone else instead of trying to force the O.

Kudos for this. The board has been a dumpster fire in the last 24 hours but this sentence actually made me laugh out loud. Also, when Gaffney misses a jumper he's doing it on purpose to give his teammates some opportunities for rebounds.

#selfless

Reaction Score
Kudos for this. The board has been a dumpster fire in the last 24 hours but this sentence actually made me laugh out loud. Also, when Gaffney misses a jumper he's doing it on purpose to give his teammates some opportunities for rebounds.

#selfless
We had another poster suggest RJ missed the ft's on purpose so he could tweet about it and prove his doubters wrong in the future. This board is an insane asylum.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

#selfless
It's the extremely difficult backboard assist. Only a few can accomplish it with regularity.

Reaction Score
Great that he posted this, as you can see he is totally bought in and wants to win. However, it wasn’t his free throws that lost us the game, it was the lack of defense down the stretch, giving up too many offensive rebounds and ultimately giving Creighton too many chances. Can’t put all the blame on Cole, we shouldn’t have been in that position anyways where we were relying on his free throws to win it.
Cole knows this, his teammates know this and we know this....it’s about leadership and accountability and that’s what he’s doing here. Clearly not one sports fan on the planet needs to be told one play does not win/lose a game. This is a read between the lines moment

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We’re really not a team anyone wants to play. We played the #9 ranked team even yesterday with our 2nd best player sitting most of the game in foul trouble, without 2 of our better players. No one wants to face Bouknight right now.

Reaction Score
We’re really not a team anyone wants to play. We played the #9 ranked team even yesterday with our 2nd best player sitting most of the game in foul trouble, without 2 of our better players. No one wants to face Bouknight right now.

I like looking at it this way. But also from another coaches view "Bouk's not scoring 40 against us we won't let him and they have no other answers that scare us." I mean he got 40, we lost and wasted that. There were more problems on the board after the loss than we thought. I'm thinking maybe other teams aren't as afraid to play us after seeing this, but you could be right we will see.

Reaction Score
Because we should have had the game in hand before he went to the line so his free throws would have been irrelevant.
It's cute the way you pretend as if being up 2 with an 80% FT shooter at the line, in the double bonus, is some hugely disadvantaged situation to be in. You've missed the point. We were still in a great position, regardless of what transpired before.

We were up 2, with RJ Cole at the line shooting 2, and fewer than 15 seconds on the clock, regardless of what happened before that, Cole needs to make at least 1 FT there, and really should be making both and sealing the win.

Our biggest lead of the game was 4 points. Blaming the loss on the events that led to us "only" being up 2 is...

Just. Dumb.

Reaction Score
It's cute the way you pretend as if being up 2 with an 80% FT shooter at the line, in the double bonus, is some hugely disadvantaged situation to be in. You've missed the point. We were still in a great position, regardless of what transpired before.

We were up 2, with RJ Cole at the line shooting 2, and fewer than 15 seconds on the clock, regardless of what happened before that, Cole needs to make at least 1 FT there, and really should be making both and sealing the win.

Our biggest lead of the game was 4 points. Blaming the loss on the events that led to us "only" being up 2 is...

Just. Dumb.
So you’re saying giving them an uncontested layup and like 3 or 4 offensive rebounds and 2nd chance possessions at the end of the game had no impact on the result?

Reaction Score
We had another poster suggest RJ missed the ft's on purpose so he could tweet about it and prove his doubters wrong in the future. This board is an insane asylum.
If he makes the free throws, he silences his doubters then and there. Why would he purposely miss, throwing doubts on his ability, and then try to rehabilitate himself in the future?

Better to tweet about your accomplishment and give credit of course to your other teammates for their contributions.

On the other hand, I cannot recall the poster or the post you are referring to.

Reaction Score
Many fans are overeacting . We have played 4 games under unusual conditions , When things go well the fans think they are much better than they actually are . When things go bad they are not as bad as the fans think they are,. I may be wrong but I think we should all relaxand let this young team jell .

Reaction Score
So you’re saying giving them an uncontested layup and like 3 or 4 offensive rebounds and 2nd chance possessions at the end of the game had no impact on the result?
No.

But why stop with the layup and rebounds?

We also shouldn’t have spotted them a 12 point lead in the first half.

Regardless, we were up 2, with 2 free throws from an 80% shooter with under 15 on the clock.

That’s a great position to be in when you’re an unranked underdog playing a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
This is one of the worst losses I can recall. To quote former Cardinals Coach Dennis Green (R.I.P) "They were who we thought they were. And we let 'em off the hook!"

Cole needs to realize where he's playing now and quit the hero ball. He's not the man here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom