Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter” | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Gaffney and Bouknight start getting way more of the minutes and experience at the guard spots, we will see improvement. Until then, you can expect more of what you saw last night. This isn't that hard to understand, it's the same thing we have seen for years. The older players are who they are.

Reaction Score
as in a 3 n D guy? sure. bruce bowen, raja bell, danny green etc. would all work too. the only problem is that requires being an elite defender and polley is slower than molasses for a wing. who's the last UConn player that was as one dimensional as polley on offense but that wasnt an above average defender either?

No. Offensively. The majority of NBA wings are just catch and shoot. Uninformed people are expecting Polley to do something outside of the skill set of most NBA wings. Redick and Rip are the anomalies.

Reaction Score
No. Offensively. The majority of NBA wings are just catch and shoot. Uninformed people are expecting Polley to do something outside of the skill set of most NBA wings.

False. If it were true Polley would be an NBA prospect.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
i guess i missed the part where anyone imagined polley could even sniff the shorts of guys like RIP and JJ
I missed the part on why he'd want to.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty clear that the guards coming off the bench get into the set offense better than the starters. They hung with and clawed back a bit against Cincy after starters put them in a deep hole. We need to phase out the old guys. Before now, I think there was a concern about losing them if they lost their starting spot. But they've had their chance, just like that walk-on. If we lose them now, oh well.

Reaction Score
Nobody is comparing Rip to Polley, its stupid to even think as much. Stop the nonsense. Yarders just take everything so literal. Its like you have to be a lawyer to write anything on here. Freaking annoying that about 8 people said Polley is no Rip. Yeah, no snow. What was insinuated is that Rip was the epitome of off ball movement, and maybe he can get some tips from. Like Hasheem Thabeet teaching a high school kid to block shots. Thats approximately the same relativity.
You and others are saying Polley should play more like Rip. Move more off the ball.

What you and others can't seem to understand (or accept) is that the offense Rip played in was designed for him to move off the ball, constantly running off of screens.

That is not the type of offense run by Hurley.

So you're not going to see Polley doing much similar to Rip because the offense isn't designed that way.

On top of that, you're contradicting yourself by arguing he should do what you're not sure he's even good at doing, and the opposite of what you think Hurley is telling him to do.

You're all over the place.

How much movement does he make to get open to be a catch and shoot sharp shooter? See Rip and Rashad. I ain't completely dogging the kid and didn't say he was the main reason for the loss, but not helping do things to win tonight is not argument for not losing. There's only 5 guys out there at once.
I've thought that the last 2 years. And I've watched him. He's always camping out on the 3 line. It's likely that is what Danny is telling him to do. Part of the reason he never gets offensive rebounds. Very stagnant. But our offense for years has been a non-motion offense, and it seems Hurley is continuing that. Not sure if he can't get the kids to learn complex sets, or doesn't want to. But i'm also not sure Polley is quick enough to get around a screen, turn around, catch and fire. He is a very set shooter. It didn't work tonight. I also think nights when its not working, he needs to get in the tussle and grab a rebound. A game or two he had like 5. I was amazed that he can do it.

Reaction Score
i guess i missed the part where anyone imagined polley could even sniff the shorts of guys like RIP and JJ

You are not coherent. I am not sure what your point is. My point is that the average wing player is not asked to curl around screens and nail shots. This is a high level NBA skill. The average NBA wing is typically asked to spread the floor. Polley should not be expected to play in a manner similar to Rip or JJ. He should be expected to sit behind the 3 point line and nail open shots.

Reaction Score
You are not coherent.
i wasnt arguing with you. i was referring to your quote below where you brought up RIP and JJ, and was having trouble imagining who on this board watches polley and sees any sign of an nba skill set. averaging two wide open 3 pointers per game on 41% shooting isnt impressive
Uninformed people are expecting Polley to do something outside of the skill set of most NBA wings. Redick and Rip are the anomalies.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The only way a guy who is planted in the corner becomes a threat is if the ball handlers and the screeners break down the defense so that the guy guarding the corner shooter has to collapse to help. And then that is only successful if the driver spots him and can get him the ball. The offense is designed to do this, but they don't execute it well enough to collapse the D. And when they do, more often the not the driving guard tries to throw up a prayer rather than hit the open shooter. The problem ain't the guy in the corner.

Reaction Score
You and others are saying Polley should play more like Rip. Move more off the ball.

What you and others can't seem to understand (or accept) is that the offense Rip played in was designed for him to move off the ball, constantly running off of screens.

That is not the type of offense run by Hurley.

So you're not going to see Polley doing much similar to Rip because the offense isn't designed that way.

On top of that, you're contradicting yourself by arguing he should do what you're not sure he's even good at doing, and the opposite of what you think Hurley is telling him to do.

You're all over the place.
Whuuuuuuuuttt? Sweet fancy moses. I said he doesn't move off the ball, he camps out. Maybe thats what DH wants him to do, but good teams like Cincy don't allow that. So maybe he should move off the ball to some degree like Rip, but perhaps DH doesn't have him do that because he's too slow. I never said Polley is Rip or needs to move through complex sets and totally redesign the offense to the Rip style around Polley. Damn dude, get it together.

If he can't get open looks in Hurley's offense (as you are eluding to), the teams don't forget about him, and he's not going to score or rebound, then the starter spot should probably be filled with someone who can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whuuuuuuuuttt? Sweet fancy moses. I said he doesn't move off the ball, he camps out. Maybe thats what DH wants him to do, but good teams like Cincy don't allow that. So maybe he should move off the ball to some degree like Rip, but perhaps DH doesn't have him do that because he's too slow. I never said Polley is Rip or needs to move through complex sets and totally redesign the offense to the Rip style around Polley. Damn dude, get it together.

If he can't get open looks in Hurley's offense (as you are eluding to), the teams don't forget about him, and he's not going to score or rebound, then the starter spot should probably be filled with someone who can.
Which specific part of my quote accuses you of saying "Polley is Rip" or "needs to move through complex sets" or "totally redesign the offense to the Rip style around Polley"? Quote the specific part where I accused you of saying that.

You're telling me to get it together, but it's you who is over-reacting. You're complaining about people taking things "literally", while defending yourself against accusations that weren't made.

I'm simply saying the two players are very different. The offenses are different. They do different things by design.

He's supposed to camp out. Whether it's Vital, Gilbert and others penetrating, or the ball going in to Carlton, he's there when for when the defense collapses. He's a catch and shoot guy, and a very good one when he gets open looks. He had a bad shooting night, didn't get great looks against a good defensive team. His limitations are part of the problem, but he isn't the problem. He is still the best shooter on the team, and we've been desperate for a consistent deep threat.

Reaction Score
Very snowflakish...hope the players aren’t really that fragile. Doubt that thought ever crossed JC’s mind...
JC never pulled guys for missing shots he pulled them for stupid mistakes, not being locked in, or playing poorly, the substitution might have come after a missed shot but it led up to them doing the former first.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think DH is fed up with Polley’s overall game.
Polley has been trash and disappears for long periods. Right now, he should get less minutes than bouk, Adams, and gaffney. Also, Gilbert should be used as a change of pace backup to gaffney. Lastly, not sure what did did, but his energy and athleticism could be useful right now.

Reaction Score
JC never pulled guys for missing shots he pulled them for stupid mistakes, not being locked in, or playing poorly, the substitution might have come after a missed shot but it led up to them doing the former first.

If you took a stupid shot, you sat.

Reaction Score
If you took a stupid shot, you sat.

Missing shots and stupid shots are different things. You can't pull a kid for missing an open shot that is part of their scoring package. A stupid shot definitely gets you pulled by any good coach. Out of the flow of the offense, contested, early shot clock, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom