Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter” | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I said last year that because of the depths this program had sunk to, Hurley had to spend the entire year just teaching effort and toughness, and that this year that wouldn't be enough, he has to coach BB IQ into the team.

This could be the start of him cracking down on low-IQ play, regardless of whether there's good effort involved. I'd argue it should have started sooner, but better late than never.

Reaction Score
OK Coaches (bench and arm chair) here are your choices.

1. Try to win with a flawed team of players who have refused good coaching and rely on bad habits
OR
2. Throw talented but inexperienced players into the fray hoping they experience growth before they are crushed emotionally and never develop.
OR
3. Hope the flawed experienced players can win some while the young futures gain experience.

What do you say.?
#2. Imagine having to explain to these young ones and new ones what happened last year without throwing the previous players under the bus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very snowflakish...hope the players aren’t really that fragile. Doubt that thought ever crossed JC’s mind...
Of course it did! Why do think he never pulled El-Amin? Beacuse he never screwed up? No, because El-Amin wouldn't have put up with it.

Reaction Score
Of course it did! Why do think he never pulled El-Amin? Beacuse he never screwed up? No, because El-Amin wouldn't have put up with it.
I don’t understand this. El Amin wouldn’t put up w JC pulling him?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If DH pulled guys for missing shots we couldn't get 5 players on the floor.

JC would have pulled Josh after the first basket/foul of the game at Cincy. Of course he pulled guys for taking dumb shots.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The problem is that there’s only 2 players who need their leash shortened and neither have a backup ready for big minutes. I think in Carlton’s case, we need to start going small with Akok at the 5. Considering all the success Hurley has had with smaller lineups in the past, it’s pretty shocking we haven’t seen more of it. One big drawback would be Polley, Gilbert, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams never grab defensive rebounds, but the offense would be inevitably better.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is letting Sid die of a slow death. He will enter the transfer portal
My thoughts. For a team w/ few outstanding athletes, we can't afford not to have his athleticism out there. Bit frustrating.

Reaction Score
This is some amazing revisionist history, Calhoun would yank bigs for going up soft on layups. If Calhoun was still coaching here he would make Carlton cry.
Josh Boone says hello.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
There is a talent there, not doubt about that, the guy can make shots. Some guys are even awesome against chairs. I'm not smart enough a basketball mind to know how to get him open and utilize his catch and shoot ability. He is an enigma to me. Obviously Rip and that team was a whole other caliber. I honestly don't know, was just surprised to see so many people rush to defend him after that game with 0 pts and 1 rebound. Something needs to be changed, or maybe it was just Cincy. I guess we shall see, but the blueprint is out on stopping him, unless Danny cracks the code.
Not sure this point has been made but Polley was not ready to catch and shoot today. Even the commentators (Wenzel?) suggested Whaley missed opportunities to shoot. He seemed a bit spooked to me. He had me yelling at him through the screen to shoot the flippin ball.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
i dont think that's the implication. he's implying that he's been too patient with some guys (gilbert, vital, polley, carlton) and it's become an exercise in futility. heretofore he either wont start them, or allow them as much room for error, because there's no upside in doing so anymore. cant teach old dogs new tricks, time to let the young dogs play
Spot on.

Reaction Score
Spot on.
I think he’s trying to be loyal and respectful to the guys who stayed in the program by giving them exposure to further their careers. Maybe he’s had enough and is now willing to do what’s necessary for the future of the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. Offensively. The majority of NBA wings are just catch and shoot. Uninformed people are expecting Polley to do something outside of the skill set of most NBA wings. Redick and Rip are the anomalies.

You are crazy. The Celtics by themselves have three small forwards that can shoot, dribble, attack the rim and pass. NBA wings are the most versatile players on NBA rosters. Smart can do all those things too. Hell, even Grant Williams can.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think he’s trying to be loyal and respectful to the guys who stayed in the program by giving them exposure to further their careers. Maybe he’s had enough and is now willing to do what’s necessary for the future of the program.
I don't think it's that. I think he was hoping that the newer guys would be winning the starting jobs by now. That hasn't happened, imo. What's happening instead is that the starters are losing their jobs. I'm ready to see Hurley move on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The problem is that there’s only 2 players who need their leash shortened and neither have a backup ready for big minutes. I think in Carlton’s case, we need to start going small with Akok at the 5. Considering all the success Hurley has had with smaller lineups in the past, it’s pretty shocking we haven’t seen more of it. One big drawback would be Polley, Gilbert, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams never grab defensive rebounds, but the offense would be inevitably better.

Agreed. Carlton will start because Whaley isn’t the answer. But the leash will be shorter whenhe doesn’t go up strong. Akok will likely get burn at the 5, or God Forbid, even Sid.

Polley is the candidate to sit. He gives you almost nothing. Bouknight likely gets the start or Adams will at SF. We will go small, but have better ball handling and rebounding.

Gilbert will start still, but like Josh, his leash will be shorter. Gaffney is now capable to come in and run the team, giving Dan that option.

CV will start, and as with AG and Josh, will have a shorter leash with either Bouknight or Adams (whoever doesn’t start) coming in.

Akok is fine. Nobody else is.

Reaction Score
You are crazy. The Celtics by themselves have three small forwards that can shoot, dribble, attack the rim and pass. NBA wings are the most versatile players on NBA rosters. Smart can do all those things too. Hell, even Grant Williams can.

Lol. Watch another team besides the Celtics. They have 3 near all star caliber wings. That is not the norm. Grant Williams has been horrible offensively.

Reaction Score
You guys need to be careful with throwing all the blame one guy. Bouk and Gaffney were burnt on D many times tonight neither guard very well in half court and we need to think about that. And Adams will never be a PG please stop that craziness. He's a tough kid coming off the bench that's where he belongs. Gaffney wasn't good in the first half at all just like everyone else. Josh Carlton was a disaster on both ends in the first half. His defense and over hedging made people rotate and people were wide open as he was dreadful chasing Vogt and Sorello continuously too far. Akok couldn't catch a pass and his first shot of the game he never even faced the basket it was like a hot potato when he caught it. I mean until Vital ended the half ok, there was absolutely no one who deserved any thatta boys!

We're just not that good I'm afraid. I don't like where are going to be after the next few games I will be honest.
As I pointed out before Hurley is between a rock and a hard place .
His best defensive unit has been a failure offensively.
Anyone that tells you that Bouknight , Gaffney or to a lesser degree even Adams are as good a Gilbert and Vital defensively either individuality or as part of a team defense really should follow another sport.
The problem is Gilbert simply lacks the skill to be that lead guard that allows the team to make an offensive spurt. Gilbert is still a very valuable player.
Him coming off the bench against a tiring PG has possibilities and playing him at the two could be interesting .He is more RB than than Bazz and can get hot if he could get decent looks .
The safest move is simply sit Gilbert I hate freshman PG but we have no choice
1. Gaffney
2 Vital
3 Polley
4 Akok
5 Carlton
If Gaffney can help catch and shoot guys like CV and Polley get better shots then it is a win win without sacrificing too much D. If he is getting them shots and they are not making them
Than Polley sits and Bouknight starts , Then Finally Adams for Vital.
Hurley has to tell Vital that Gaffney is “Jaylen Adams “and he defers to him.
like in the movie Highlander “their can only be one” leader. Gaffney can’t be intimidated by him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When 8 of your 10 players take bad shots or miss wide open layups or fall asleep on defense on a semi-regular basis, it's kind of hard to have a short leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom