Hunt for the CFP 2017 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hunt for the CFP 2017

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wisconsin's schedule is only marginally better, and mark my words, they will get in even if they lose to Michigan as long as they win the Big 10 title game and their season finale.

You do realize Wisconsin has been dinged in every poll because of their schedule right?

You have a standard that is different than 99% of interested parties. It ain’t changing.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You do realize Wisconsin has been dinged in every poll because of their schedule right?
You do realize they will get in with one loss in spite of their schedule right? In the likely scenario Miami, Alabama, and Oklahoma win out, who will be no. 4? Wisconsin, even with a loss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You do realize they will get in with one loss in spite of their schedule right? In the likely scenario Miami, Alabama, and Oklahoma win out, who will be no. 4? Wisconsin, even with a loss.

Miami winning out is ‘likely’? Um ok.

Maybe wait and see what happens before pre-crying about the result.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Do you think UCF is one of the four best teams in the country?

No.

But that's not the question asked of any regular season. The playoffs are supposed to reward the teams that won against their schedule. Just like nobody cares if the AFC East is the same quality as the NFC West. Just like nobody cares if the US soccer team is better than Panama. That's why you play the games. It's not a best 4 out of 7 to determine the best team.

The better question is this: How can a team win all of its games and not be given a chance to win it all?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Miami winning out is ‘likely’? Um ok.

Maybe wait and see what happens before pre-crying about the result.
Clemson isn't beating Miami and if they do, Wisconsin (with one loss) gets in before Miami.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And for the record, if the Sun Belt is considered a Division 1 Conference, then yes, I feel that an undefeated Sun Belt team deserves a chance to play for the championship. Otherwise, they are not really Division 1, and we should stop this friggin charade that the NCAA continues to milk for every dollar...

Reaction Score
Clemson isn't beating Miami and if they do, Wisconsin (with one loss) gets in before Miami.

Wisconsin over Miami. Based on what? The Badgers have a marginal quality win over Iowa. That's it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Wisconsin over Miami. Based on what? The Badgers have a marginal quality win over Iowa. That's it.
They both would have one loss. Tie breaker goes to conference champ.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Nah... unless recently changed - conference championship is one of four criteria to be evaluated if two teams are “similar”: College Football Playoff
Championships won is the top criteria and they haven't played and I'm not sure if they have any common opponents. Either way, Wisconsin (the Big 10 champ) would get in over Miami (the ACC runner up).

Reaction Score
Championships won is the top criteria and they haven't played and I'm not sure if they have any common opponents. Either way, Wisconsin (the Big 10 champ) would get in over Miami (the ACC runner up).

Read it in full - it doesn’t say Championship won is the top criteria just that it needs to be considered.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Read it in full - it doesn’t say Championship won is the top criteria just that it needs to be considered.
It's listed first for criteria for a tie breaker between similar teams-aka teams with the same number of losses. Hence why Ohio State (one loss) got in over Penn State (two losses) because they were not similar.

Reaction Score
It's listed first for criteria for a tie breaker between similar teams-aka teams with the same number of losses. Hence why Ohio State (one loss) got in over Penn State (two losses) because they were not similar.

I believe if it was intended to be the sole top criteria it would have wording to the effect of “in order/top to bottom”.

I do not believe that a one loss AAC champion and a one loss SEC team would be considered “similar on same number of loses” and the spot would go to AAC Conference champ based on your read.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I believe if it was intended to be the sole top criteria it would have wording to the effect of “in order/top to bottom”. I do not believe that a one loss AAC champion and a one loss SEC team would be considered similar and the spot would go to AAC Conference champ .
As I've already explained, the P5 has a 1.5 loss advantage over the AAC and MW and probably a 2.5 or 3.5 loss advantage over the others. What I was referring to there was a comparison between two one-loss P5 teams.

Reaction Score

I don't know about either of those. If Miami played at home against Clemson, I would definitely favor them. It's going to be a road game though, so that tilts it to Clemson in my eyes. At least they get to settle it on the field though. As for Wisconsin, I need to see more. I don't like the idea of an undefeated team being left out, but I understand the doubts about them.

Reaction Score
Updated

NOON
Mercer @ #1 Alabama, SECN
Virginia @ #3 Miami, ABC
#15 UCF @ Temple, ESPNU
Citadel @ #2 Clemson, ACCN
#24 Michigan @ #5 Wisconsin, FOX

Kentucky @ #7 Georgia
#4 Oklahoma
@Kansas , ESPN

Other games of note
LA-Monroe @ #6 Auburn, E2 @ Noon
Navy @ #8 NDame, NBC @ 330
Illinois @ #9 Ohio St, ABC @ 330
Nebraska @ #10 Penn St, FS1 @ 400

UCLA @ #11 USC, ABC @ 8

Reaction Score
Maybe its the spin, but an undefeated AAC champ deserves to be in the conversation for final four.

I'm sure this has been back channeled onto deaf ears, and I laud HCRE for calling them out.

I really don't know how good UCF is, but if 2 loss teams get in and UCF is rated like 8th this is bs.

The AAC has impressed over the past few years in New Year's Day bowl games so why doesn't anyone at any sports station lobbying to have them in the conversation is troubling.

Memphis, UCF, USF, and Houston can beat any top program at home if things go right for them. That's why we play the games.

Disgusting.

I hope UCF gets a ND, Auburn Georgia, or OSU and crushes them on New Year's Day. Have Trump comment on why an undefeated D1 team is not named National Champ.

Reaction Score
FRI NOON
#2 Miami @ Pitt, ABC

FRI 330

USF @ #15 UCF, ABC

SAT NOON

#7 Georgia @ Ga Tech, ABC

SAT 330

#1 Alabama @ #6 Auburn, CBS
#5 Wisconsin @ Minnesota, ABC
W Virginia @
#4 Oklahoma, ESPN

SAT 730
#3 Clemson @ So Carolina, ESPN

Other SAT games of note

#9 Ohio St @ #24 Michigan, FS1 @ Noon
#10 Penn St @ Maryland, BTN @ 330
#8 N Dame @ #22 Stanford, ABC @ 8
#11 USC idle

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Oklahoma and Georgia are IN.
UCF is now out as they are behind the winner of Miami/Clemson and Alabama.
Wisconsin is in if they win.
Miami is in if they win.
Clemson is in if they win.
Alabama is in if Wisconsin loses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member