OT: - Hunker down and be safe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hunker down and be safe

Reaction Score
Will need to cover some plants outside tonight and tomorrow night.

When are the women leaving for Providence? Per the UConn Athletics website, they changed the game start time to 7:30 PM Sunday. Concerned about those blizzard warnings.....

2021-22 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Connecticut Athletics
It's my understanding that the women got bumped to 7:30 because the Providence men's game was switched from Saturday to Sunday due to the blizzard. That's more convenient for me personally, but a little annoying that the men bumped the women...

Reaction Score
Loving the snow in Mercer Wisconsin as I flew out here last week for XC ski racing/training. Flying home to Mystic Sunday after the N'oreaster hits and my wife is reminding me that I"m in Wisconsin again when the heavy shoveling is needed. If you think Geno's doghouse is a tough place to be...:/

Reaction Score
For those on fixed incomes, make sure that you set aside enough to pay for those heating bills or get on a budget program. When I was stationed in Groton many years ago, I remember paying those oil bills to fill up during cold winters.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Lived in South Florida for 8 years. I understand the "sharing" of todays temperature with my northern friends.
;)
Yes! There would also be about 3 weeks ever year when I would be bundled up in my winter coat going to work.

Reaction Score
My brother lives in Wake Forest and said they got 3” of snow. He said everyone totally freaked out and the TV channels showed hour by hour weather reports on the “extreme” weather. He got a great laugh out of that - he lived in Rochester NY for 30 years.
And then he tried to drive with the locals who have no experience in a town that has no snowplows or other equipment.

Reaction Score
Blizzard Conditions in BAR HARBOR, Maine. Snowing as
I write. 12 hours of Blizzard conditions predicted.
The snow blower is primed and ready to go!
into action...... just like the HUSKIES!.... It will be
Huskie " hot" in Providence , R.I.! .... Go UCONN!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Weather here in Glendale Az for the next two days.
Saturday 72°48°Partly cloudy today with a high of 72 °F (22.2 °C) and a low of 48 °F (8.9 °C).
Sunday 70°49° Sunny today with a high of 72 °F (22.2 °C) and a low of 48 °F (8.9 °C).
We normally have one week in either Dec, Jan, or Feb where the nighttime temp is in the lower 30's and the daytime high is in the 60's.
We have to cover a lot of our outdoor plants during that one week of winter. If you want to go skiing you take a 2 hour ride to Flagstaff and ski at Snowbowl.
I spent a long weekend in AZ in the early '90s. I was catching some rays in bright sunshine on Thursday. Friday morning we headed to Flagstaff and it was snowing and very cold when we got there. It was surreal to me. I was living in the DC burbs at the time.

Reaction Score
Miserable weather here in Sterling right now. We have blinding snow and howling wind.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here in Storrs it started falling pretty steadily around 11PM, and it is still falling steadily - very tiny flakes, occasion wind gusts, and about 8 inches so far. Its supposed to taper off late afternoon/early evening and just be COLD. Uconn should have no problem with the roads tomorrow afternoon.

It is days like this that I wish I still had my bolt hole in Coconut Gove, FL - I had nothing more than a few space heaters in my house down there which I would use for about a week each year when the temps stayed below 60.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The game could be affected. Snowfalls are predicted to be 10" in Storrs and 21" in Providence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Update on PVD weather: 14" on the ground, 10" more to come, snowing at 2" per hour, wind chill of -1.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Two weeks ago the initial forecasts for a winter storm in my part of NC was for 8" to 12" of snow. It stayed that way almost up to when the start of the storm. After it was over we had 1" to 2" of snow along with the dreaded wintry mix.
Right now our forecast for the big Nor'Easter is 1" to 2" of snow. So.... :eek:

Again they over promised and under delivered..... only got about 0.5 to 1.0 inches of snow here in the city. The streets are dry and clear, though its pretty cold outside with the windchill. Panicked and got 2 pizzas for nothing...... I wonder if my neighbor's dog likes pepperoni pizza. :confused:

Reaction Score
Waves from snow bank in northeastern CT

At 9:30 this morning when I went out to shovel the snow was already up to my knees (I'm 5'6"). Thankfully it is light/fluffy or I wouldn't have been able to shovel at all, & that will be less I have to shovel later on. Got caught in a whiteout & became completely disoriented. I don't recommend it!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Our country lane is about 30’ from the window. I can't see it.
Just white swirls, howling wind. Typical Maine stormy day, but colder.

Heat wave tomorrow—over 20°F.

64EE995E-2B0E-441F-A079-EDE5A20F7897.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Updated PVD forecast: 28" with 26" on the ground already. Windchill of -2.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We ended up with 12+ is SE CT. I have finished shoveling the walkway and now I am working on snow blowing 450' of driveway including several feet deep of snowplow stuff and a couple of 4' drifts. I have to do it in shifts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom