OT: - Hunker down and be safe | The Boneyard

OT: Hunker down and be safe

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here’s the forecast for Orlando tomorrow. Low of 32, high of 49 with wind gusts up to 40 mph. I had to dig out my winter coat.

Of course, the weather beginning Tuesday looks pretty darn good for February. :cool:

E01E0639-80AC-4BD6-9A7C-44CE5B3F5E47.jpeg

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Here’s the forecast for Orlando tomorrow. Low of 32, high of 49 with wind gusts up to 40 mph. I had to dig out my winter coat.

Of course, the weather beginning Tuesday looks pretty darn good for February. :cool:

View attachment 72784

I'll see your 49° and raise you -10. (Midcoast Maine)

5C39A955-E2EB-42CD-9EA4-28AFF68E2778.jpeg

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'll see your 49° and raise you -10.

View attachment 72788
Hence the move to Florida. Winter is about 3 weeks long but usually a day or two of “cold”, then a warm up, then another cool day, back and forth, usually in January. It starts to get very nice here in February.

I grew up in Connecticut and could live with January and February but March was long, dark, grey, and dreary.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hence the move to Florida. Winter is about 3 weeks long but usually a day or two of “cold”, then a warm up, then another cool day, back and forth, usually in January. It starts to get very nice here in February.

I grew up in Connecticut and could live with January and February but March was long, dark, grey, and dreary.
I feel that way about November.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My brother lives in Wake Forest and said they got 3” of snow. He said everyone totally freaked out and the TV channels showed hour by hour weather reports on the “extreme” weather. He got a great laugh out of that - he lived in Rochester NY for 30 years.

That is a bit over the top. Here in the Triad... it will be the third straight weekend of snow here, and that's extremely rare. I'm all out of bread and peanut butter, but I know the grocery store is gonna be a zoo today. Instead 'm going to go out and get pizza and donuts (cake) and hunker down for the 2 inches of snow that's predicted for tonight.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Will need to cover some plants outside tonight and tomorrow night.

When are the women leaving for Providence? Per the UConn Athletics website, they changed the game start time to 7:30 PM Sunday. Concerned about those blizzard warnings.....

2021-22 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Connecticut Athletics
It’s only a 50 mile trip. They’ll leave early and go slowly.

I’m pretty sure there’s some dopey NCAA rule that limits how long you can be at the away city. It would be good to beat the storm but I’m not sure what the time limit is although I think it’s 24 hours before and after the game.

Reaction Score
My brother lives in Wake Forest and said they got 3” of snow. He said everyone totally freaked out and the TV channels showed hour by hour weather reports on the “extreme” weather. He got a great laugh out of that - he lived in Rochester NY for 30 years.
I'm guessing your brother's in the town of Wake Forest, rather than Winston-Salem?

Your brother's anecdote reminds me of a storm that dumped about 6" of snow on the Wake Forest campus and the nearby city back in '67-68, I believe. The city shut down schools for two days because it had just a handful of snowplows.

To boot, and hard to believe for a northern boy, Wake cancelled classes that first day because it was considered dangerous for us students to do the walk from our dorms/apartments to the nearby academic buildings. I was told it was the first such occasion in the then 134-year history of the college. Two days later, I was out playing golf again.

Reaction Score
Since I live on the west side of the Chesapeake Bay I only saw a few flurries this morning. The governor declared a state of emergency based on the weather forecast for the eastern shore of Maryland...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Two weeks ago the initial forecasts for a winter storm in my part of NC was for 8" to 12" of snow. It stayed that way almost up to when the start of the storm. After it was over we had 1" to 2" of snow along with the dreaded wintry mix.
Right now our forecast for the big Nor'Easter is 1" to 2" of snow. So.... :eek:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And prior to the storm, the Governor declared a State of Emergency.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

What about MARCH MADNESS?

Reaction Score
Fort Meyers Fl Like Nan we are ones we many plants on our Lanai and will be bringing them inside and breaking out the sweatpants and sweatshirts. My snow shovel is retired and living the dream.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's only going to be 63 and sunny tomorrow here in Vegas. I guess I'll just have to suffer, but we do have snow up on Mt. Charleston.

Reaction Score
Weather here in Glendale Az for the next two days.
Saturday 72°48°Partly cloudy today with a high of 72 °F (22.2 °C) and a low of 48 °F (8.9 °C).
Sunday 70°49° Sunny today with a high of 72 °F (22.2 °C) and a low of 48 °F (8.9 °C).
We normally have one week in either Dec, Jan, or Feb where the nighttime temp is in the lower 30's and the daytime high is in the 60's.
We have to cover a lot of our outdoor plants during that one week of winter. If you want to go skiing you take a 2 hour ride to Flagstaff and ski at Snowbowl.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
And here in northern Wisconsin, we’ve had below zero every night for 2+ weeks, with -25 and -17 the last two nights. But the snow in the forests and covering the lake is awfully beautiful, especially when you see deer and coyotes crossing on the ice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom