Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hugh Bailey: What does UConn owe Hartford? Maybe nothing (Hearst Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not the one charging exuberant student fees for athletics. UConn got themself into the deficit with reckless spending and failed opportunities.

UConn plays in Hartford because they get funding from the state and they want to increase their fan base. You want to pivot to playing all the games on campus? Bye bye money. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Openly making students pay a premium in tuition to support Hartford bar owners?

Bye bye votes.

CL82

Reaction Score
Having a large venue that is easily accessable to state residents is a common practice in college basketball. It gives many thousands of people the opportunity to connect in person with the university. It's good smart marketing. Schools recognize this, that's why they do it. Playing in the city has helped both Hartford and UConn.
Lol how so? The vast majority of schools play on campus.

Reaction Score
If they scheduled accordingly they could probably work a split like that. The way this staff elects to schedule you'd be sticking Hartford with ooc dregs all in a months worth of time.

It's a mutually beneficial situation that has more or less worked for 30+ years, but we act like it a) needs to change or b) ever will, every single season.
That's not true, Hartford would get the first month of conference play in that scenario

CL82

Reaction Score
(Actually, I’m quite fine paying taxes that benefit people with less financial resources than me. But the fact that some idiotic crybaby sees their pennies going out the door to support others and whines without asking what pennies are given to them I have no patience for.)
Are you though? Because I’ve seen you whine about SALT and suggest that poor states should only receive money commensurate to what state pay in federal taxes.

Reaction Score
So XL season ticket package would be 3 games?
Because of the attendance levels required for profitability at the XL, it'd make the most sense to put the three projected highest-interest marquee games every season at the XL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because of the attendance levels required for profitability at the XL, it'd make the most sense to put the three projected highest-interest marquee games every season at the XL.
And they already charge more for seats to the good games.

Reaction Score
You XL center fans - How does it feel to make UConn students subsidize your favorite watering hole because you're too effen lazy to drive 20 minutes out of the city?

You disgust me.
First off are XL fans forcing the state or the university to make decisions? Talk about misplaced anger.
Secondly if the state will give the university less money if they choose to stay out of XL isn’t playing there actually giving the students less fees?

Reaction Score
UConn should play on campus except the games during winter break.

I certainly agree with this point. And yet only 3 of 7 XL games this year we’re scheduled during either Thanksgiving or winter breaks. Meanwhile 3 of the 7 Gampel games were scheduled during the breaks when there was no one on campus to benefit from the location. Why not swap those 3 games?

While we’re at it, can anyone explain to me why games against Stonehill, Buffalo, and Delaware State we’re scheduled at the XL Center??? The only legitimate reason to put games there in the first place is to accommodate a greater number of fans for high demand games. These certainly don’t fit that description. The attendance at none these games exceeded the capacity at Gampel, so why pay $40,000 per game to rent a facility when we already have a facility which we own and which can accommodate all of the fans interested in these games? Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Me too. I drive from Brooklyn. Would rather drive the extra bit to Gampel and have a better atmosphere. Hang out at Teds. Hartford blows. Only play in Hartford during holidays when students are gone.

Brooklyn, CT or Brooklyn, NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits