OT: - Hubert Davis New UNC Head Coach | The Boneyard

OT: Hubert Davis New UNC Head Coach

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The Athletic Reports:
Hubert Davis new hire: Screenshot of the Story.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-122224_The Athletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-122224_The Athletic.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 162

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is definitely one person they could have hired to be coach.

Feels like a bad year to need a coach....no really good names available, but I also admire Carolina’s willingness to not think outside the box.

Reaction Score
They really are committed to hiring in house. Someone with a Dean Smith connection.

Maybe they get lucky and Davis kills it despite no head coaching experience, but they should be ready to take on some bad years if they are going to hire someone with his experience.... which they probably are not. I'm not sure if they can take on too many bad years. Their fan base with lose it.

Reaction Score
That is definitely one person they could have hired to be coach.

Feels like a bad year to need a coach....no really good names available, but I also admire Carolina’s willingness to not think outside the box.
Every name should be available to them, it's Carolina.

Maybe they'll go after the top coaches after they realize they wasted a few years with Hubert Davis as their coach.

Reaction Score
Every name should be available to them, it's Carolina.

Maybe they'll go after the top coaches after they realize they wasted a few years with Hubert Davis as their coach.
It tends to work like that sometimes lol

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The safest and most comfortable fit
Anyone else would get a sniff of all the BS going on at that POS School

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
always liked hubert on the knicks when i was a kid. he struck me as cerebral on the court, a 'steady eddy.' carried himself with class and never imagined himself to be something that he is not. as a sometime carolina fan (among the big 3 here that im supposed to hate, ie. carolina, duke, and kentucky) i like the possibilities for him. i like the hire, and wish him well.
also, he didn't try to choke his coach, so there's that.

Reaction Score
Former player at the school, handpicked after previously being a legend's assistant? No prior head coaching experience? I think I've seen this movie before...

I kid (kinda), but the parallels sure are interesting. Although Davis does have like 8-9 years as an assistant, while Ollie only had 2.

Reaction Score
always liked hubert on the knicks when i was a kid. he struck me as cerebral on the court, a 'steady eddy.' carried himself with class and never imagined himself to be something that he is not. as a sometime carolina fan (among the big 3 here that im supposed to hate, ie. carolina, duke, and kentucky) i like the possibilities for him. i like the hire, and wish him well.
How are you not 90 years old? Actually, don't answer that.

Reaction Score
Whoa whoa wait, you were a “kid” when he was on the Knicks in the early 90s? Wow I thought you were like 75 and that’s why you post such inane drivel constantly. But there goes that excuse. Wow.

Reaction Score
Former player at the school, handpicked after previously being a legend's assistant? No prior head coaching experience? I think I've seen this movie before...

I kid (kinda), but the parallels sure are interesting. Although Davis does have like 8-9 years as an assistant, while Ollie only had 2.
Would have been like if we hired karl hobbs instead of KO

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

kevin ollie won a national championship as the head coach. im sure carolina fans would like to say hubert did the same.

Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if he succeeds. From his time with the Knicks to his time with the media he never struck as an overly sharp guy in terms of basketball knowledge, etc. I thought he was one of the worst analysts out there, not that it's indicative of coaching ability. I never expected him to be a future coach and was surprised when he took the assistant gig at Carolina. Best of luck to him though!

Reaction Score
Steve Robinson would have been a better choice

Reaction Score

Parallels end when it comes to actual aptitude and capability. Hubert Davis is a very bright man

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He will do fine as the head coach. They are considered a Blue Blood and the ties they have is excellent around college and the pros

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It seems wildly underwhelming for being one of the top jobs in the entire country.

But maybe he’s their guthridge of this century.

Didn’t he make a final four or two?

Reaction Score
Davis could work out at UNC, but Williams isn’t leaving him with a team that has done well recently. That said, at a basketball blue blood like UNC, Davis will have 3 years to prove he is the right guy and it provides the UNC AD with time to identify his replacement if he doesn’t work out.

Reaction Score
Seems like one of the weaker hires of the offseason. One less blue blood is good for us, so I'm good with it.

Reaction Score
It seems wildly underwhelming for being one of the top jobs in the entire country.

But maybe he’s their guthridge of this century.

Didn’t he make a final four or two?
Guthridge made 2 Final 4s in 3 years, but his first year he inherited juniors Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison and senior PG Ed Cota. You don’t inherit a veteran team with top talent anymore in college basketball. Davis’ job will be much harder than Guthridge’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom