How's Brimah's game post surgery? | The Boneyard

How's Brimah's game post surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
According to Boat pretty good:

Amida Brimah, who had surgery to repair the torn labrum in his left shoulder, is playing in the pickup games without restrictions. Now that he is playing without the shoulder pain that hampered him last year, he is attacking the boards more aggressively. "I'm rebounding better," Brimah said. "My offensive game is better. I'm making wiser decisions." Boatright sees a different player in Brimah. "A lot different player," Boatright said. "He's doing all the things Coach was trying to get him to do all last year. He's talking; when the big man is talking behind you, the whole team is playing better defense. He's attacking the glass. Everybody knows he can block a lot of shots, but his offensive game came a long way. He's making those 15-footers."

Good to hear. I was worried that the surgery might have cut into the normal frosh to soph development. Apparently not.

Reaction Score
We know Amidah has a good head on his shoulders; he's a smart guy, and you knew right away he's a cognitive sponge. He's a fast learner. He's gonna start seeing things and see them coming, and as Boat said, that is a great thing to have behind you in the paint communicating. We also knew he has a decent stroke (he saved our season on that and 1), and it's great to see that that's now translating in to pick-up games.

Just a f-cking fabulous kid. So excited for this season. Just about 8 weeks left!!!

Reaction Score
He can be everything everyone wants to see in practice, and I believe he is. But he still needed some "game" experience this summer to improve drastically as a fundamental player. When I say that I mean where to be, not getting caught too far under the basket when receiving the ball and when trying to get rebounds as well as reading the rebounds. I hope everyone is right in his dramatic improvement and he believe he will be real good. Just how good through remains for game time!

Reaction Score
He can be everything everyone wants to see in practice, and I believe he is. But he still needed some "game" experience this summer to improve drastically as a fundamental player. When I say that I mean where to be, not getting caught too far under the basket when receiving the ball and when trying to get rebounds as well as reading the rebounds. I hope everyone is right in his dramatic improvement and he believe he will be real good. Just how good through remains for game time!
These are reports from (admittedly, pick-up) games, not practice drills. I imagine he has someone on him giving him some level of pressure. Boat says everyone has been "extremely, extremely, extremely" competitive.

Reaction Score
These are reports from (admittedly, pick-up) games, not practice drills. I imagine he has someone on him giving him some level of pressure. Boat says everyone has been "extremely, extremely, extremely" competitive.

I've seen the pick up games a lot and i've seen the "extremely competitive" ones......he still needs some seasoning but hear's hoping

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I know it's not going to happen, but I can still fantasize about a starting frontcourt of a bulked-up Nolan and a much-improved Brimah.

CL82

Reaction Score
He is making 15 footers lol? sounds like boatright has tapped into the hyperbole used by many in storrs ( napier/jc).
I was thinking the same thing James. He was channeling his inner JC.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've seen the pick up games a lot and i've seen the "extremely competitive" ones.he still needs some seasoning but hear's hoping
What no reports or did I just miss them?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Or Brimah could just be playing really well. No hyperbole?

Reaction Score
Or Brimah could just be playing really well. No hyperbole?
I mean sure it would be amazing if brimah is hitting 15 footers, but i would rather have nolan hitting 15 footers while brimah figuring out how to box out. how to stay on the floor etc and be active in the interior. Basically 15 footers should be low on his checklist. But if he has solved everything else and just adding the mid range game now, this year could be his swan song.

Or he could just be playing well in pick up games and theres nothing else to take from it ha.

Reaction Score
I mean sure it would be amazing if brimah is hitting 15 footers, but i would rather have nolan hitting 15 footers while brimah figuring out how to box out. how to stay on the floor etc and be active in the interior. Basically 15 footers should be low on his checklist. But if he has solved everything else and just adding the mid range game now, this year could be his swan song.

Or he could just be playing well in pick up games and theres nothing else to take from it ha.
First I'd rather see Nolan being the bruiser down low instead of Brimah, but that's besides the point. The one thing that leads me to say this is not a hyperbole is I remember Brimah attempting a 15-footer in the Central Florida game last year. Sure he was feeling it that game, but he is not going to take a jump shot unless he thought he could make it

C

Chief00

I thought Brimah has the potential to be a good could shooter, based on his shooting mechanics. He did not develop bad mechanics for 6 -8 years like some other Bigs.

Reaction Score
I hope it's true that AB is hitting 15 ft.. You need your bigs hitting 15-17 ft shots on the pick and slide.

Reaction Score
Justin Brown is the starter.

Just a reminder that assessments from pre-season including those made by the coach are not always accurate come the season.

Reaction Score
Doesn't surprised me gms are asking about a guy who is most likely lotto in 2016. If he gains enough strength to establish position, KO can dump it in to him for 3-4 jump hooks a game . His little jump hook is extremely nice with both hands.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Doesn't surprised me gms are asking about a guy who is most likely lotto in 2016. If he gains enough strength to establish position, KO can dump it in to him for 3-4 jump hooks a game . His little jump hook is extremely nice with both hands.

He should be able to do this now regardless of strength gains. I feel like he could have done this last year, but had no idea where to be or HOW to get good position.

Knowing where to be is going to help AB on offense, defense, and the boards immensely this year.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Thabeet introduced the 15 footer into his repertoire during his junior season I believe, so it seems AB is progressing at a faster rate offensively.

Reaction Score
Thabeet introduced the 15 footer into his repertoire during his junior season I believe, so it seems AB is progressing at a faster rate offensively.

Brimah's freshman year offense was ahead of Thabeet's at the same time, so this isn't shocking.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Brimah's freshman year offense was ahead of Thabeet's at the same time, so this isn't shocking.
I still warmly recall the time when Thabeet passed to Jim Calhoun who promptly screamed, "I'm not in the game!!!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Brimah in any practices or scrimmages but anyone who saw his FT stroke last year knows it's not out of the question that he is serviceable hitting 15 footers. He has good form and is fluid enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom