How you guys staying sane during this pandemic and bball interuptions? | The Boneyard

How you guys staying sane during this pandemic and bball interuptions?

Reaction Score
Just wondering, because I think this snowstorm highlighted how boring being primarily indoors all winter can be. Books are no longer intriguing, Netflix/Prime is only getting me so far, can't fish, golf or do any outdoor stuff, my cigar lounges are closed so I have to smoke while cruising, its like I'm left to counting down the days till our next game. My wife and I aren't socializing, and will miss our annual Super Bowl festivities with friends this year.

I know I should be organizing things in my house, and my basement should be neat and tidy. I also know my clothes should be sorted and many donated, but I don't feel like it. Good time to improve my cooking skills I guess. Saving a boatload of money, and trading (see stock thread), but that's not that enjoyable. I think I gained a few pounds, so that's something to address tomorrow.

It just feels like I'm missing something. Its not depressing, more of a void looking to be filled.

So Yarders, how are you coping and whatcha doin to get by? Has anyone found a new hobby or something that's working to help you cope? Have anyone found any 'safe' activities to recommend?

Reaction Score
Who says we are staying sane? It’s been brutal but to help I have a golf lesson every Friday, something to look forward to and work on all week. I’m over-indulging in the stock market, which isn’t healthy. My son plays college baseball, so holding onto the hope of getting to watch him play, though the start is delayed a month.

Was going to have some work done on the house, but my contractor friends are so busy, they can’t get started.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You are assuming that we were ever sane in the first place? Don't you read the stuff we all put on the Boneyard?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Sane you say?
jack nicholson laugh GIF

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I’ve organized the heck out of everything:
Storage, cabinets, drawers, closets, computer files, emails. It’s addicting and the results have made life a little easier. A strong cup of coffee and a good sativa help.

Reaction Score
Besides reading and binging I resurrected the old stamp collection, finally scanning those slides and photos to the computer (home movies next), working on family genealogy, sorting through stuff and selling on eBay, golf and beach when the weather permits. Miss Bunco, in-person book club, trivia night at the local watering hole.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Living a normal life during this pandemic is the definition of insanity.
Depends on what or who you believe. My job is essential. I can golf weekly. My kids are in school. I can go out to eat and social distance. All of this for this whole year and amazingly I’m still alive, as are everyone else I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just wondering, because I think this snowstorm highlighted how boring being primarily indoors all winter can be. Books are no longer intriguing, Netflix/Prime is only getting me so far, can't fish, golf or do any outdoor stuff, my cigar lounges are closed so I have to smoke while cruising, its like I'm left to counting down the days till our next game. My wife and I aren't socializing, and will miss our annual Super Bowl festivities with friends this year.

I know I should be organizing things in my house, and my basement should be neat and tidy. I also know my clothes should be sorted and many donated, but I don't feel like it. Good time to improve my cooking skills I guess. Saving a boatload of money, and trading (see stock thread), but that's not that enjoyable. I think I gained a few pounds, so that's something to address tomorrow.

It just feels like I'm missing something. Its not depressing, more of a void looking to be filled.

So Yarders, how are you coping and whatcha doin to get by? Has anyone found a new hobby or something that's working to help you cope? Have anyone found any 'safe' activities to recommend?

I think you've captured my mood almost exactly. It's just an unsatisfying existence. There's not enough joy. Not enough laughter. Not enough fun. It's just blah. And while I could fill the time being productive and cleaning my basement, who wants to do that?

I've been thinking of solutions. We had a board game night with neighbors. Next time we may teach our spouses and daughters how to play poker. I'm trying to figure out how to run something like a Zoom virtual darts tournament. But really should just say screw Covid and get together to play darts and drink beer with the Bruins game on in the background. I'm going to friends' house for the Super Bowl, got invited yesterday.

I did an hour long zoom call with a friend from law school in KC. That was a good idea, and overdue. I texted one of my best friends from UConn, guy I watch games with normally and we hadn't seen each other since this began. Realized he's at the same place I am, let's get together to watch some games. Of course we need actual games for that.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I sit around doing nothing except complain about everything under the sun. Supposed to be back in for more surgery in a few days. So I have a change of scenery and lots of nurses to complain to instead of just my wife to look forward to.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know everybody here hates soccer but it's your loss. Good games practically every day. And why waste your money losing in the stock market over days when you can bet the horses and get the result in about a minute?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know everybody here hates soccer but it's your loss. Good games practically every day. And why waste your money losing in the stock market over days when you can bet the horses and get the result in about a minute?

Yes, I decided to give this a try on Sunday. Searched for some Premier League games and discovered I have the Peacock network. I've been a very casual Man U fan for most of my life, but will try to actually follow them more closely.

Reaction Score
I'm ashamed to admit I don't even know how the game is played (i.e. rules, positions), other than kicking the ball through the net. Growing up it was just baseball, basketball and football (American) not even a soccer field, that I know of. It just seemed to be a long event sport ending 1-0, with a lot of players running around kicking a ball.

I've traveled the world and see all the kids and adults outside playing soccer or practicing with others.

Can you help me understand what the exciting parts are other than a goal being scored?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sanity during a pandemic is somewhat of an oxymoron. I would think the balancing of any job/vocational responsibilities along with any family responsibilities in any semblance of a normal routine is challenging at best for all of us.

The house has gotten "pretty small" with no natural escapes for diversion with only the wife and dog as roommates. Florida plans messed up due to condo issues at the Florida end of the spectrum.

Continuing to prepare for reintroduction back into professional normalcy post-COVID. Staying healthy-treadmill ,etc. for stress management. And preparing for golf season. Any strong opinions on mallet putters vs blade putters if you have a slight arc to your putting backstroke?

Popular book out now that sums up my thoughts. "The Obstacle is the Way".. Work through the obvious challenges(ie COVID) in front of you and perhaps you'll find some significant benefit on the other side of that challenge through some self-reflection and intentional focus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. A lot of quality time with the new gf
2. Drawing
3. Beers with a few close friends
4. Long walks (regardless of snow)
5. Videogames
6. Music. Last.fm, been a member for years but it is a godsend even in 2021 to discovering tons of obscure) music and spotify has helped with that too.
7. Binge-watching Futurama, Bobs Burgers, Rick and Morty and so much more.
8. Writing both long stories and poems.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm in Florida and living a fairly normal life or as normal as can be. We go out to diner with friends, some of who have just moved in from CT. We do have friends over to socialize. The three restaurants in the community are open and doing well even though capacity is limited to 50% of seating. We have had friends over during the lockdown. Golf course are open and doing well.

Dusted off the old bass guitar and started playing it again. Trying to keep the chops in shape for the horn. Hoping the bands I play in will be allowed to rehearse again and soon. Been shut down since the first week in March, 2020.

Our 55+ community sponsored a vaccine pod during this past weekend. Over 2,600 residents received their first shot. So hopefully we will start to see our lifestyle return in the coming months. Much is still shutdown.

I keep my sanity by remembering I only have so much control over life's events. I bike around 7 miles almost every day. Staying healthy helps.

Reaction Score
I'm in Florida and living a fairly normal life or as normal as can be. We go out to diner with friends, some of who have just moved in from CT. We do have friends over to socialize. The three restaurants in the community are open and doing well even though capacity is limited to 50% of seating. We have had friends over during the lockdown. Golf course are open and doing well.

Dusted off the old bass guitar and started playing it again. Trying to keep the chops in shape for the horn. Hoping the bands I play in will be allowed to rehearse again and soon. Been shut down since the first week in March, 2020.

Our 55+ community sponsored a vaccine pod during this past weekend. Over 2,600 residents received their first shot. So hopefully we will start to see our lifestyle return in the coming months. Much is still shutdown.

I keep my sanity by remembering I only have so much control over life's events. I bike around 7 miles almost every day. Staying healthy helps.
East Coast or West Coast of Fla? Have friends in Sarasota who say things are manageable there.

Reaction Score
Playing basketball myself. I moved into an apartment building in San Diego county that has an outdoor basketball court. Living the dream boys!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Plenty of things to do to stay busy down here in Bama. Field fence to run, shelters to build, hay barn to build, another greenhouse to put up plus the day to day taking care of the animals and property. Any volunteers?
Yes please. That actually sounds great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom