How you guys staying sane during this pandemic and bball interuptions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How you guys staying sane during this pandemic and bball interuptions?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I ashamed to admit I don't even know how the game is played (i.e. rules, positions), other than kicking the ball through the net. Growing up it was just baseball, basketball and football (American) not even a soccer field, that I know of. It just seemed to be a long event sport ending 1-0, with a lot of players running around kicking a ball.

I've traveled the world and see all the kids and adults outside playing soccer or practicing with others.

Can you help me understand what the exciting parts are other than a goal being scored?

I'm no expert, but will tag you in a post in the Soccer thread.

Reaction Score
Playing basketball myself. I moved into an apartment building in San Diego county that has an outdoor basketball court. Living the dream boys!
How do you socially distance when playin' D?? LOL

Reaction Score
How do you socially distance
1612363548110.png

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The company I worked for for 15 years dissolved, so I decided why not try to start a new company during a pandemic. I had no idea how much administrivia goes into starting a business and employing people. The good news is we've been able to hire a few people from the prior company, give them full benefits, a 401k plan etc.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just got a dog. A rescue, but not abused. The dog, we were told was mostly indoors. Mostly did his business on a pee pad. It turns out a dog does not automatically recognize a pee pad. So some of the boredom is erased. I’d rather be bored. But he’s a friendly little guy. Some sort of chihuahua mix. Not my normal preference but he has hops Josh Carlton would die for. Other than that, too much binge watching and too little exercise.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can you help me understand what the exciting parts are other than a goal being scored?
It took me pretty much 25 years to get into it, but once you get hooked it's cool. The more you understand it, the more you enjoy it as you better appreciate the skill going on. Scoring goals is hard, cleverness is rewarded and is fun to watch.

I went to the Toronto game at The Rent late last year. There was a play where world class Gonzalo Higuain was in front of our section when a screaming ball came to him from the other side of the field. Somehow he just took the ball out of midflight with his foot and placed it perfectly in front of him, took two steps and blasted a shot that hit the top corner of the net that shook for a minute afterwards. No goal but the skill we just witnessed was incredible. There was an audible gasp when it happened. But in soccer, there's a chance for something cool at any moment.

I understand how if you're not into it, it can be boring. You may need to adjust your mindset from other team sports. It's more tantric than wham-bam. But if you have a rooting interest, the tension really builds. At the end of the day it's skill plus athleticism in balance. I think in pro BB and FB, the athleticism has the upper hand. Plus, you can't beat the package. It's done in 2 hours. No media timeouts, no in-game commercials, no coaches calling every play.

Last edited:

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Tell me about it... onto our 3rd date (fingers crossed).
We had everything planned last January and didn’t want to reschedule, we just had to scale everything down a lot but the important people were there. Made everyone get Covid tested beforehand and 2.5 weeks later we haven’t had any positive pop up.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tell me about it... onto our 3rd date (fingers crossed).

'Getting married after three dated? Statistically your marriage has the same chance as those who dated for years :)

Reaction Score
Just wondering, because I think this snowstorm highlighted how boring being primarily indoors all winter can be. Books are no longer intriguing, Netflix/Prime is only getting me so far, can't fish, golf or do any outdoor stuff, my cigar lounges are closed so I have to smoke while cruising, its like I'm left to counting down the days till our next game. My wife and I aren't socializing, and will miss our annual Super Bowl festivities with friends this year.

I know I should be organizing things in my house, and my basement should be neat and tidy. I also know my clothes should be sorted and many donated, but I don't feel like it. Good time to improve my cooking skills I guess. Saving a boatload of money, and trading (see stock thread), but that's not that enjoyable. I think I gained a few pounds, so that's something to address tomorrow.

It just feels like I'm missing something. Its not depressing, more of a void looking to be filled.

So Yarders, how are you coping and whatcha doin to get by? Has anyone found a new hobby or something that's working to help you cope? Have anyone found any 'safe' activities to recommend?
For me, it's easy: more time to watch games I normally wouldn't watch during any other season. Baylor/Texas was excellent last night.

Reaction Score
Skytrak golf simulator. My game is not very good, but it's still a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
It took me pretty much 25 years to get into it, but once you get hooked it's cool. The more you understand it, the more you enjoy it as you better appreciate the skill going on. Scoring goals is hard, cleverness is rewarded and is fun to watch.

I went to the Toronto game at The Rent late last year. There was a play where world class Gonzalo Higuain was in front of our section when a screaming ball came to him from the other side of the field. Somehow he just took the ball out of midflight with his foot and placed it perfectly in front of him, took two steps and blasted a shot that hit the top corner of the net that shook for a minute afterwards. No goal but the skill we just witnessed was incredible. There was an audible gasp when it happened. But in soccer, there's a chance for something cool at any moment.

I understand how if you're not into it, it can be boring. You may need to adjust your mindset from other team sports. It's more tantric than wham-bam. But if you have a rooting interest, the tension really builds. At the end of the day it's skill plus athleticism in balance. I think in pro BB and FB, the athleticism has the upper hand. Plus, you can't beat the package. It's done in 2 hours. No media timeouts, no in-game commercials, no coaches calling every play.
Hopefully the games are more exciting than this post.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope.
I'm trying to transition into solutions-oriented posting, to better help all the lost souls here. I'm sorry my answer to another Yarder's question didn't help you but thanks for the feedback.

Reaction Score
I'm still doing fine. WFH is fantastic. I exercise every day plus I go for 2-4 mile walks with the Mrs. I'm expanding my cooking skills and eating healthier than ever; we get takeout on Friday nights but other than that I'm eating a healthy home-cooked meal. There's a bit of irony that during a global health pandemic I've become healthier than ever. My BP was a little high the last few years, it's back down to 110/70. I'm reading more than ever, alternating between fiction and non-fiction, and finding various topics to teach myself, from history to economics to woodworking and so on. I'm an NBA fan so there's plenty of hoops to go around.

I miss socializing with our friends and their young children but my immediate family is in a strict bubble/quarantine so we get to see them fairly often. Overall, I will miss this lifestyle once the pandemic ends.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, because I think this snowstorm highlighted how boring being primarily indoors all winter can be. Books are no longer intriguing, Netflix/Prime is only getting me so far, can't fish, golf or do any outdoor stuff, my cigar lounges are closed so I have to smoke while cruising, its like I'm left to counting down the days till our next game. My wife and I aren't socializing, and will miss our annual Super Bowl festivities with friends this year.

I know I should be organizing things in my house, and my basement should be neat and tidy. I also know my clothes should be sorted and many donated, but I don't feel like it. Good time to improve my cooking skills I guess. Saving a boatload of money, and trading (see stock thread), but that's not that enjoyable. I think I gained a few pounds, so that's something to address tomorrow.

It just feels like I'm missing something. Its not depressing, more of a void looking to be filled.

So Yarders, how are you coping and whatcha doin to get by? Has anyone found a new hobby or something that's working to help you cope? Have anyone found any 'safe' activities to recommend?
Pickleball. Don't laugh, it's very competitive at the higher levels and, well, even at the lower levels. Played tennis for 45 years before I tried pickleball and I haven't had any desire to go back to tennis. It's not just for old folks. The closest analogy I have is table tennis. If you like table tennis then you'll probably like pickleball.

Reaction Score
Pickleball. Don't laugh, it's very competitive at the higher levels and, well, even at the lower levels. Played tennis for 45 years before I tried pickleball and I haven't had any desire to go back to tennis. It's not just for old folks. The closest analogy I have is table tennis. If you like table tennis then you'll probably like pickleball.

A pickle doesn't seem like it would bounce.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
'Getting married after three dated? Statistically your marriage has the same chance as those who dated for years :)
Pretty sure he's expected something else after the third date.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Reading. Snowboarding. Sports betting and fantasy golf (which both entail study and analysis). Trying new food spots through ordering out. Beer runs to Treehouse and Lawson’s. Scrabble. Walking. Fires - both inside and outside. Zoom calls. Online poker.

Reaction Score
Had the foresight to get my wife pregnant a couple months before it began, so had the baby mid-Pandemic (but fortunately at a time when cases hit a valley so was safe in the hospital).

Been pretty perfect. Momma WFH during end of pregnancy and again now that she's gone back, I've got a flexible schedule with a couple days off during the week. Momma's parents just retired and watch baby a couple days a week. No day care needed. We all get a lot of time with the baby (but not so much as to go insane).

Did some baby intro zooms, but didn't have an army of relatives and friends rushing us after the birth to see the baby. Everyone just Amazon'd shower presents directly to the house. Plenty of time to build out the nursery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom