How will Notre Dame, UConn, Oregon and Baylor look a year from now? | The Boneyard

How will Notre Dame, UConn, Oregon and Baylor look a year from now?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been posted. I checked, didn't see it.

The present is all positive for UConn, Notre Dame, Oregon and Baylor, the teams headed to the Women's Final Four in Tampa, Florida, to compete for the 2019 national championship. But how about their futures? Here's a glimpse at the recruiting pictures for them.

[Article]

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The article didn't link. Would you mind trying again, please? :)

Sorry about that. I got a little ahead of myself. It works now. ;)

Reaction Score
A silly article.

ND looks good for next year...really?

It does not mention Walker, Christyn or Oliovia at all re UConn (only the latter two, in passing, In the Oregon analysis.

Reaction Score
Baylor- preseason number 1, favorite to repeat if Cox can recover on time. Cox turned into the player everyone thought she was going to be. It's true that post players take longer. After their freshman season, Hebard looked to be the better player. After this season, Cox is the better player. Her impact cannot be put into a stat sheet, she should be the second draft pick after SI.
Oregon- preseason number 2- return everyone but Corzola. It might make sense for them to be number 1, but the players they return aren't going to mature like Baylor's. SI didn't do good against Richards, Boley is spot up shooter with little offensive variety, and Sabally is Uber talented but foul prone. Hebard is very good as well. I think that they are the second best team in paper, but like last season.. they will have more losses than the "AP #2" should have. Unless teams are just beating each other up.
UConn- preseason 3-5. They should be somewhere in there. If they want to win an NC, Williams needs to be an AA. I am just not sold on Walker. KLS and Collier rose into first team AAs their sophomore, and they were already the defensive focuses by midseason. Walker turned into a solid player, but that was after being the least important defensive assignment (Louisville dared her to beat them, and she did). Now she'll be probably the 4th dangerous option lol. That means UConn is still very capable with Dangerfield, Williams, and ONO leading the way.
ND- Preseason top 15? I have no clue. Losing all five starters to an NC runner-up team is crazy. Muffet will have a lot of coaching to do this upcoming season. I feel like that may be a bit refreshing for ND fans, there are no expectations on the team. So they can blossom at their own rate. They are in rebuild mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having a better than expected season.

Reaction Score
A silly article.

It does not mention Walker, Christyn or Oliovia at all re UConn (only the latter two, in passing, In the Oregon analysis.

I think ND will be good enough to still be a top 10 team. They return 3 players who all played, with Abby and Mikayla playing quite a bit, and Katlyn was looking really good before she was injured. I think Anaya is going to have people thinking there is no way that girl is a freshman. That's a solid to very good lineup. They have 5 McDonald's AA in the roster so talent is there. What will determine how deep they go into the NCAA tournament will be how quickly the younguns can gel and adjust to starting roles. I doubt they'll be a FF team, and maybe not E8 but I think they will be a Sweet 16 team and build for 2020-2021.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We refuse to use the cliché about reloading, but you get the picture. Coach Muffet McGraw and the defending champions will lose stars Marina Mabrey, Brianna Turner, Arike Ogunbowale and Jessica Shepard (and potentially Jackie Young), but the Irish have help on the way in the form of two McDonald's All Americans in their 2019 class.

Silly me. I thought Baylor is the defending national champion

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A silly article.

Dan Olsen is a recruiting guy so his focus in this article was the incoming recruits. He didn’t write the headline, I’m sure, but the headline is misleading.

Reaction Score
Baylor- preseason number 1, favorite to repeat if Cox can recover on time. Cox turned into the player everyone thought she was going to be. It's true that post players take longer. After their freshman season, Hebard looked to be the better player. After this season, Cox is the better player. Her impact cannot be put into a stat sheet, she should be the second draft pick after SI.
Oregon- preseason number 2- return everyone but Corzola. It might make sense for them to be number 1, but the players they return aren't going to mature like Baylor's. SI didn't do good against Richards, Boley is spot up shooter with little offensive variety, and Sabally is Uber talented but foul prone. Hebard is very good as well. I think that they are the second best team in paper, but like last season.. they will have more losses than the "AP #2" should have. Unless teams are just beating each other up.
UConn- preseason 3-5. They should be somewhere in there. If they want to win an NC, Williams needs to be an AA. I am just not sold on Walker. KLS and Collier rose into first team AAs their sophomore, and they were already the defensive focuses by midseason. Walker turned into a solid player, but that was after being the least important defensive assignment (Louisville dared her to beat them, and she did). Now she'll be probably the 4th dangerous option lol. That means UConn is still very capable with Dangerfield, Williams, and ONO leading the way.
ND- Preseason top 15? I have no clue. Losing all five starters to an NC runner-up team is crazy. Muffet will have a lot of coaching to do this upcoming season. I feel like that may be a bit refreshing for ND fans, there are no expectations on the team. So they can blossom at their own rate. They are in rebuild mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having a better than expected season.
Oregon walks to title, Baylor iffy for final four but sneaks in. Notre Dame plays for 20-21 season. UConn wins NC in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Reaction Score
Oregon walks to title, Baylor iffy for final four but sneaks in. Notre Dame plays for 20-21 season. UConn wins NC in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Why is Baylor so iffy? The are returning their best player and top 2 defenders.

Reaction Score
ND may be losing a player to the transfer market. Rumor has it Danielle Patterson has requested a transfer. That leaves ND with only 1 true post player. Dam Brunelle and Cosgrove are more perimeter players who can post up.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
We refuse to use the cliché about reloading, but you get the picture. Coach Muffet McGraw and the defending champions will lose stars Marina Mabrey, Brianna Turner, Arike Ogunbowale and Jessica Shepard (and potentially Jackie Young), but the Irish have help on the way in the form of two McDonald's All Americans in their 2019 class.

Silly me. I thought Baylor is the defending national champion
I'm not sure why this article made it to this board so late, but it is dated April 3rd which was the Wednesday before before the final four. So at that time, Notre Dame was the defending champ preparing to face the Huskies in 2 days in Tampa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom