How we feeling about St Marys? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How we feeling about St Marys?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
The key is defending the entire 30 seconds. They are dangerous late in the shot clock. If you relax after 25 seconds, they will make us pay.
Good point. I feel better about this task now that we seem to have finally gotten over the hurdle of over-fouling and putting the other team on the free-throw line a ton of times. As you say, we have to defend through the entire shot clock, and also do it smartly. It will be interesting to see how the game is officiated. Will the refs let them bang a little or will it be a whistlefest? Either way, we can't allow officiating to determine the outcome.

Reaction Score
Won’t be easy but I feel good. This year just feels different, I think especially after getting by the first round everyone should be relaxed tonight.

Reaction Score
I think a major key is dictating the tempo. Some of the pundits seem to feel St. Mary's will/may be in the driver's seat, and UConn will be forced to play their style. I don't think this has to be the case at all, especially if the Huskies can generate some momentum getting out of the gate and push the Gaels back on their heels. Interestingly, St. Mary's top scorer is an old UConn nemesis and former Cincinnati Bearcat, Logan Johnson. (Seems like a decade ago...how old is this guy? lol) He has a reputation as an excellent defender as well. Another facet for them is their second leading scorer is a freshman (Aidan Mahaney) who shoots nearly 41% from the three-point line. How we handle these two players will be a big factor. Also, in the pregame presser, they said they feel having played against Gonzaga and Drew Timme three times this season helps them in preparing to face Sanogo and Clingan.
In general, it is much easier to control the tempo to go slower than it is to speed another team up. If you send no one to the glass, you can get 5 guys back every time. There's a big opportunity cost to this (especially in the college game), but you will in all likelihood control the tempo. Pressing may speed a team up... but it also may force them to be more methodical bringing it up and actually slow the game down. So I won't be surprised if they control the tempo. But that may be trading points to do it.

Timme:
18-6 on 80% shooting.
19-6 on 64% shooting.
23-6 on 57% shooting.

4th times the charm.

Reaction Score
The Illinois transfer has been a stud for them. Take him away and they lose a lot.

The key is defending the entire 30 seconds. They are dangerous late in the shot clock. If you relax after 25 seconds, they will make us pay.

Like to see Newton break out. He played great on the West coast.
He will. Sanogo. Will continue. And hawk plays a strong game in midrange a la rip.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
In general, it is much easier to control the tempo to go slower than it is to speed another team up. If you send no one to the glass, you can get 5 guys back every time. There's a big opportunity cost to this (especially in the college game), but you will in all likelihood control the tempo. Pressing may speed a team up... but it also may force them to be more methodical bringing it up and actually slow the game down. So I won't be surprised if they control the tempo. But that may be trading points to do it.

Timme:
18-6 on 80% shooting.
19-6 on 64% shooting.
23-6 on 57% shooting.

4th times the charm.
Nerd!

(Also, great post)

Reaction Score
I predict we will dislike Randy Bennett and his whining/ working the refs.

Excellent coach, but his sideline demeanor is tiring to opponents. But I'll acknowledge that some of our opponents probably feel the same way about Danny.

Reaction Score
They aren't slow, they're sloooooow! Ranked 359 out of 363.

1679253700576.png

Reaction Score
They aren't slow, they're sloooooow! Ranked 359 out of 363.

View attachment 85344
correct. It's why I was a broken record mentioning this in almost every post. Hopefully UConn demolishes them, but whatever happens, this game and the way it flows and the pace is going to be much different. As for the masterful press breakers UConn has in their playbook, those can be filed away, St. Mary's isn't going to press at all.

SwingDog

Reaction Score

Timme:
18-6 on 80% shooting.
19-6 on 64% shooting.
23-6 on 57% shooting.

4th times the charm.
Good points. I won't be surprised either, and I'm okay with getting a W with a score in the 60's.

SwingDog

Reaction Score

Timme:
18-6 on 80% shooting.
19-6 on 64% shooting.
23-6 on 57% shooting.

4th times the charm.
Yeah, it looks like they may have seen what Timme can do, but it doesn't look like they figured him out at all.

Reaction Score
There isn't a single player in the WCC as physical as Sanogo in the post. Go right ahead and swarm the 3-point line. Timme is good, but he's a finesse guy. Their team has never experienced the violence that Sanogo and Clingan bring to the post game.
Tshiebwe.

Reaction Score
Does not play in the WCC.
Sanogo is very strong, it would be interesting if he matched up with him physically but his quickness might do it against Tshiebwe. Watching him now, a beast.
I don't have the same angst in this St. Mary's game after the win though no guarantee.

Reaction Score
Won’t be easy but I feel good. This year just feels different, I think especially after getting by the first round everyone should be relaxed tonight.
My thoughts exactly. Quietly very optimistic. We have everything except an elite PG. Andre gives us “some” of that. All we need is our 3 point shooters to step up and some luck, which every team needs.

Reaction Score
I think it will to our ability to get dribble penetration and second chances off of offensive boards. They are one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the tournament. We are one of the best offensive rebounding teams.

They are solid defensively, and will probably force us into some difficult shots. Typically, it has been teams with quick guards that have been able to keep us out of the lane. St Mary’s isn’t particularly quick, so we should have opportunities. If they limit penetration and keep us to one shot, we will have a difficult time.

Reaction Score
We lose only if the team goes in thinking they have the win already. The best part about January for us, was the realization that… ya, you can’t do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom