How we feeling about St Marys? | The Boneyard

How we feeling about St Marys?

Reaction Score
Trolling SM board and those fans are really confident. Consensus over there is that they will slow us down, defend the line and out execute us. Previously holding opponents to -20% avg scoring. I can't say after watching this tournament so far, that that is not a distinct possibility. I'm most worried about Hawkins never getting going. They are gonna swarm him at the 3pt for sure. I hope he can find some looks. I think inside domination is the key for us. "God is gaels" Just doesn't sound right to me. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
There isn't a single player in the WCC as physical as Sanogo in the post. Go right ahead and swarm the 3-point line. Timme is good, but he's a finesse guy. Their team has never experienced the violence that Sanogo and Clingan bring to the post game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have better players at many positions. I don't see it. We have multiple options and our bench quality is stark.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
They'll try to slow us down, we'll try to speed them up. Should be an entertaining game. Even if their defense keeps our scoring lower than usual, I expect our defense to be at an elite level as well.

Reaction Score
I've been to their forum also. They have no idea how many offensive options we have, no conception of the interior presence they face, no appreciation of our defensive tenacity, no idea of our bench strength. To them we are just another fast-breaking team that they will slow down and gradually wear out. Amazing how little they know.

Reaction Score
They are a scrappy team with multiple players that can get hot at any time - as we know there is always "that guy" who usually averages 11 a game and plays the game of their life against us.
That said -They definitely have no answer for our two bigs. If we get the best versions of TN and AJ today- I like our chances.

Reaction Score
I've been to their forum also. They have no idea how many offensive options we have, no conception of the interior presence they face, no appreciation of our defensive tenacity, no idea of our bench strength. To them we are just another fast-breaking team that they will slow down and gradually wear out. Amazing how little they know.

Reaction Score
They probably beat us 2 out of 10 times. They have a chance but they have to play perfect and be fortunate.

Reaction Score
The Illinois transfer has been a stud for them. Take him away and they lose a lot.

The key is defending the entire 30 seconds. They are dangerous late in the shot clock. If you relax after 25 seconds, they will make us pay.

Like to see Newton break out. He played great on the West coast.

caw

Reaction Score
We've seen this tempo before. Villanova plays the exact same style of basketball

They play a mix of Creighton and Nova IMO but that’s not a bad call. Maybe a bit biased bc of how bad Nova was this year.

Logan Johnson plays like a classic Nova guard.

Reaction Score
Discipline, quick accurate passes, no hero ball, limit foolish mistakes like inbounds passes. Our offense starts with rebounding and transition. When we can spread the ball around and get it in the hands of the right player at the right time it's an added bonus. Eventually we're going to need more from Hawkins and Karaban. Hope that starts today but I think our bigs will still be carrying the load in this game.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
They'll try to slow us down, we'll try to speed them up. Should be an entertaining game. Even if their defense keeps our scoring lower than usual, I expect our defense to be at an elite level as well.
If they slow us down do you really think that will be entertaining?? More like a slow root canal if we are not hitting shots and playing a half court game. This is a two outcome game just like Joey Gallo is a 3 outcome player in baseball. We will either blow them out by getting our pace or they will grind out a close game win. If we score more than 70 we win. If we score low 60’s or high 50’s it will be difficult to win.

Reaction Score
Hoping we get a decent whistle down low. Between Sanogo and Clingan we should have them in foul trouble and be in the bonus early.

That’s assuming we don’t fall in love with jacking 3s and forget about the paint.

Reaction Score
Against VCU four guys played 38-40 minutes. Could be a factor
They've been doing that all season. They only play 6 guys. 5 guys averaging over 30 minutes a game. 1 guy about 15. Nobody else over 10. For comparison, UConn doesn't have anyone who averaged over 30 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Trolling SM board and those fans are really confident. Consensus over there is that they will slow us down, defend the line and out execute us. Previously holding opponents to -20% avg scoring. I can't say after watching this tournament so far, that that is not a distinct possibility. I'm most worried about Hawkins never getting going. They are gonna swarm him at the 3pt for sure. I hope he can find some looks. I think inside domination is the key for us. "God is gaels" Just doesn't sound right to me. Thoughts?
Whats the link

Reaction Score
Start the game like we did the second half against Iona and silence the bells of St Mary’s early.
Take advantage of our size and establish the interior game along with defensive intensity. Move the ball quickly on offense to open up shots. Don’t get caught with the ball outside the 3pt line with 4 seconds left on the shot clock and expect something good to happen. We can not waste possessions with bad shots and forced/unforced turnovers.

We are bigger, better and deeper. Play smart, get off to a good start, a lead and don’t look back.

Sin City awaits.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
We’ll most likely get out coached and fall behind by 7-8 points but our talent should prevail at the end.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I think a major key is dictating the tempo. Some of the pundits seem to feel St. Mary's will/may be in the driver's seat, and UConn will be forced to play their style. I don't think this has to be the case at all, especially if the Huskies can generate some momentum getting out of the gate and push the Gaels back on their heels. Interestingly, St. Mary's top scorer is an old UConn nemesis and former Cincinnati Bearcat, Logan Johnson. (Seems like a decade ago...how old is this guy? lol) He has a reputation as an excellent defender as well. Another facet for them is their second leading scorer is a freshman (Aidan Mahaney) who shoots nearly 41% from the three-point line. How we handle these two players will be a big factor. Also, in the pregame presser, they said they feel having played against Gonzaga and Drew Timme three times this season helps them in preparing to face Sanogo and Clingan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom