How was the crowd tonight? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How was the crowd tonight?

Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand that either, but there are far, far fewer. Last night the place was packed way before tipoff and ready to explode. Those that say the Gampel crowd is better these days are just lying.

Or maybe just an opinion? Personally, I'm pretty bad at lying and I think Gampel is a far superior experience.
Add my vote for Gampel.

I think it's more conducive to everyone people engaged and into the game.

I think the lack of noise stems from the students not having experienced this team being good before and knowing that the rest of the crowd will follow their lead when they pick up the energy and get loud.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You don't know UConn or the business side of universities (like our AD) if you think undergrads are anything more than pegs on a board. This is ALL business to them.

I am aware that undergrads become diehard fans. I grew up a diehard fan too. I still don't understand why that means some folks think prioritizing their fan experience over others is warranted. If the team is successful, those same people will become diehard fans. I'm not saying stick them in the nosebleeds... just why prioritize them over any other fan?

And I would imagine that even though very little of the $$$ they spend is actually going to athletics, it is something that will affect applications to the school. Good fan experience = excitement about bball = bigger reputation and more $$$ for UConn in the long run. I would imagine this is how the ADs around the country think of it.

Undergrads are morons. As are folks who live on message boards. It's certainly not mutually exclusive. You seem offended... which is odd. You do you, though.
You seem uncharacteristically cantankerous in this thread, alternating between claiming not to understand some things and being judgmentally certain of others. I associate such variance with people more my age, and don't know whether to ask, "What's up?" or say, "Welcome aboard."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The crowd will respond to how the team plays and how the opponent shuts them up. My wife’s Apple Watch had readings of 122 peak the last 2 games(Georgetown and Nova). If we had a Calcaterra run last night the XL would have exploded! Each game had its own personality. Still great both places!
Let's face facts: Villanova game-planned to take Joey out of the equation, and the team proved that it could win without him.

Reaction Score
The crowd will respond to how the team plays and how the opponent shuts them up. My wife’s Apple Watch had readings of 122 peak the last 2 games(Georgetown and Nova). If we had a Calcaterra run last night the XL would have exploded! Each game had its own personality. Still great both places!
Again, the crowd made no effort to generate the Joey C type of run. Up 8 several times and Nova in possession, the crowd was quiet. The team could have used a spark to knock them out. No, I am not anti-XL. my tickets are in Hartford lower level corner. I love the environment at Gampel and miss going to games there. XL can be loud, it just wasn’t anything special last night

Reaction Score
Again, the crowd made no effort to generate the Joey C type of run. Up 8 several times and Nova in possession, the crowd was quiet. The team could have used a spark to knock them out. No, I am not anti-XL. my tickets are in Hartford lower level corner. I love the environment at Gampel and miss going to games there. XL can be loud, it just wasn’t anything special last night
Nonsense the crowd was loud. Standing up many times.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
the matrix GIF

The state will never rebuild the arena, and has only shown limited interest in renovating it. Eventually, the state will recognize at its annual deficit isn’t generating sufficient facility or even community revenue to keep it open.

In the meantime, though, I wish the CDRA, would not charge confiscatory lease, venue fees and ticket surcharges. All that serves to do is shift some of the CDRA’s annual operating deficit to the UConn athletic department. That is my primary beef with playing at the XL, it is a money, losing proposition for us, except in the case of sellouts, where it is pretty much breakeven.

Still, last night sounded pretty good to me on TV. As the season progresses, and games become even more meaningful, the crowd will be better about sustaining intensity.
UConn needs to do better business with the CDRA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn needs to do better business with the CDRA.
This. For me, at least, playing at the XL becomes more palatable if the CDRA isn’t price gouging us. Even if they just charged us, the fair market lease rate for an unaffiliated team, that would be a major improvement. But given that it’s our home court, you would think they would, and should, do better than that for us. Having the state pay the university so that the university can pay the CDRA above market lease fees, only benefits the CDRA, not the University, not the ticket holders, and certainly not Connecticut taxpayers.

Reaction Score
Nonsense the crowd was loud. Standing up many times.
Never said they weren’t loud at times. But they sat on their hands several instances. I was standing several times but it was In reaction to the team doing something. See my example of how the crowd could have sparked something and failed

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You don't know UConn or the business side of universities (like our AD) if you think undergrads are anything more than pegs on a board. This is ALL business to them.

I am aware that undergrads become diehard fans. I grew up a diehard fan too. I still don't understand why that means some folks think prioritizing their fan experience over others is warranted. If the team is successful, those same people will become diehard fans. I'm not saying stick them in the nosebleeds... just why prioritize them over any other fan?

And I would imagine that even though very little of the $$$ they spend is actually going to athletics, it is something that will affect applications to the school. Good fan experience = excitement about bball = bigger reputation and more $$$ for UConn in the long run. I would imagine this is how the ADs around the country think of it.

Undergrads are morons. As are folks who live on message boards. It's certainly not mutually exclusive. You seem offended... which is odd. You do you, though.
What are your thoughts on schools like Duke that prioritize students getting the best seats versus donors. I haven't been to Cameron but I have been to games at the University of Illinois and their students get priority and I believe it is an excellent home court advantage to have rowdy, moronic students to be cheering courtside. Btw, when I leave my seat I always get two beers. I drink them, then I use the facilities, then repeat. It serves the dual purpose of not angering your row mates AND it cuts your odds of bumping into Chief in half.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Because they are the ones attending the school?

And donating nothing, until they become alumni. Money matters

As far as the crowd noise goes, I'll just let Hurley and the players do the talking. They know better than anyone

Reaction Score
It was definetly rocking last night, I don’t discriminate about games being played in the Civic Center, but Gampel is always louder because you are closer to the court.

Your in the nose bleeds in the CC your kind of away from the action, nose bleeds in Gampel it feels like your on top of the court.

Reaction Score
Again, the crowd made no effort to generate the Joey C type of run. Up 8 several times and Nova in possession, the crowd was quiet. The team could have used a spark to knock them out.

I was standing several times but it was In reaction to the team doing something.

You're complaining that most people did what you did. Very odd.
Hypocrisy GIF

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why is the focus always on student experience for the games?

I swear it's a genuinely, not snarky (rare for me) question.

Students aren't buying season tickets or donating to the athletic department. Kids get excited when you win games--I'm not sure whether they win at Gampel or XL really matters.

I am probably wrong for some reason I can't foresee. But I really think undergrads on the whole are the biggest bunch of morons on the planet, so here we are.

In my opinion, the main reason the student experience is a focus is for a couple of reasons. First, the student section is generally the most engaged and loudest section in the building, at least from start to finish, so when they're bringing the energy it motivates the rest of the crowd to be more engaged as well. Secondly, the players connect much more easily with the students than the rest of us old farts in the crowd. You see the players all the time point to the student section after a big play, or after a win they'll go pump them up or even go into the student section sometimes. For those reasons I think it's important to prioritize the student experience.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the main reason the student experience is a focus is for a couple of reasons. First, the student section is generally the most engaged and loudest section in the building, at least from start to finish, so when they're bringing the energy it motivates the rest of the crowd to be more engaged as well. Secondly, the players connect much more easily with the students than the rest of us old farts in the crowd. You see the players all the time point to the student section after a big play, or after a win they'll go pump them up or even go into the student section sometimes. For those reasons I think it's important to prioritize the student experience.

Makes sense. I think it probably helps with recruiting to have an engaged student section as well

Reaction Score
I've been in both buildings for 32 years, they're both loud. I'm going to suggest 15k screaming people make more noise than 10k, but GP has it's own vibe
Pretty irrelevant but thanks for sharing

Reaction Score
Off topic but the biggest problem with comparing Gampel and XL is that 90% of the great matchups over the years have happen at XL.

For example I think Syracuse only played at Gampel 3-4 times over a 20+ year stretch.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This. For me, at least, playing at the XL becomes more palatable if the CDRA isn’t price gouging us. Even if they just charged us, the fair market lease rate for an unaffiliated team, that would be a major improvement. But given that it’s our home court, you would think they would, and should, do better than that for us. Having the state pay the university so that the university can pay the CDRA above market lease fees, only benefits the CDRA, not the University, not the ticket holders, and certainly not Connecticut taxpayers.

And theyve made the XL WORSE to get around theyve narrowed the concourses.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
And donating nothing, until they become alumni. Money matters

As far as the crowd noise goes, I'll just let Hurley and the players do the talking. They know better than anyone

So Hurley is on record that he would prefer no games in XL. All at Gampel. Is that the talking you are referencing?

Reaction Score
Yikes. What did I do? I was just trying to see why the players and the coach mentioned how the crowd helped and to see if people who were at the game thought the same. I wasn't expecting this mess. Then again........ Lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And theyve made the XL WORSE to get around theyve narrowed the concourses.
“… Because, um, we think people will want to come here to bet on sports.” Was any kind of legitimate study done on the potential ROI of renovating the arena to add a bricks and mortar place to gamble?

I’m not a big fan of bureaucratic ineptitude in general, but bureaucratic ineptitude that impacts something I care about, University of Connecticut athletics, just pisses me off. Maybe more than it should.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So Hurley is on record that he would prefer no games in XL. All at Gampel. Is that the talking you are referencing?
Actually, I'm just talking about is post game quotes, how did you miss them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom