How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’ (Borges) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’ (Borges)

Reaction Score
That was his point. They are irrelevant and no one cares about their programs simply because their exclusion from March Madness has made it that way.
They were never relevant in Division 1 basketball or the NCAA tournament because they are Division 2 programs and have never been a part of the NCAA tournament. Same goes for Division 3.

It's not a good example.

Reaction Score
They were never relevant in Division 1 basketball or the NCAA tournament because they are Division 2 programs and have never been a part of the NCAA tournament. Same goes for Division 3.

It's not a good example.
I agree, as greedy as those leagues are even they can realize that march madness won’t work with an sec big 10 challenge. Football playoffs have been changed many times over the last 20 years there’s a reason basketball hasn’t changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For basketball I think your right, the pool needs to be bigger than the 40/48 in the 2 super leagues to have a legitimate tournament.

I’d hate it, but I’d bet it would become somewhere where a .500 or better conference record from the 2 super leagues guarantee a spot and the rest of the “at large” field will be hand picked to fill out the 64 slots. Gone will be the auto bids for the MAAC and American East.

And if the super leagues own the tournament and it’s rights, they can payout the money to participating schools any way they want, meaning they can choose to pay little to no money. Would UConn accept an invite to play in March Madness for $0 but a shot at glory / taking down the super league, or would they choose to play the NIT for some small NCAA distributions. A decision we may have to make one day…
Or alternatively, would UConn choose to accept an invitation to a P2 tournament and earn, say, $250,000 per game playing against the top teams in the nation versus the chance to go to an NCAA tournament and earn, say, $100,000 a game playing against the best of the rest?

To me, that’s not a hard decision.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The latest rumor is that UNC/UVA/FSU/Clemson are trying to go to SEC and ESPN is trying to void their ACC deal. I'm not even going to bother posting the tweet even though it's by a verified Twitter user since he's a swimming reporter. With that said, both scenarios are obviously realistic and I think the hybrid BE/ACC would still make the most sense. Like I said in my crazy post yesterday, there is still value in basketball, even if it's less than football.

Duke now becomes the sole biggest brand in the new ACC, and they are basketball. Appease to them. Adding UConn/BE schools especially Nova are a huge boost to salvage what's left. You get MSG for the Big East Coast Conference tourney. It's worth noting the current BE media deal expires after 2024-25...aka 3 years...aka when Mora said he wants to be in the ACC...

I think 24 teams (14 for football) should still be on the table. But instead of UNC/UVA being included like my proposed list yesterday you probably have to add USF and then who knows (with UConn/Memphis already in to play football). SMU? UNC Charlotte? And that's of course if the B12 doesn't pick off Pitt/Louisville -- maybe the BE/ACC can pick off WVU first?
CBS sports guy on Twitter shut that down. Called it silly. Said the SEC is not negotiating with those schools. Indeed, any offer it made would be take it or leave it. But they don't need any of those schools. What do they add?

Reaction Score
CBS sports guy on Twitter shut that down. Called it silly. Said the SEC is not negotiating with those schools. Indeed, any offer it made would be take it or leave it. But they don't need any of those schools. What do they add?
Clemson and FSU want to join but you're right, why would current SEC members want that? They already have a South Carolina and Florida school. UNC/UVA football don't move the needle whatsoever either, can't imagine they increase the $ value (whereas a Clemson and FSU most likely would).

CL82

Reaction Score

It's not a good example.
Will it make you happier if I used Ivy League schools as the comparison point? Yes, I know that they can participate in March madness but the vast majority don’t. Do you care about it?

CL82

Reaction Score
UNC and UVA extend the market. Plus UNC with its class is optional philosophy fits right into the SEC culture.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here

-> “I don’t think you can ever be comfortable,” athletic director David Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media. “The nature of the landscape of college athletics right now, I don’t think anybody is comfortable, whether it’s conference realignment or the transformation that needs to take place in the NCAA.

“Just like we proactively made a decision to change conferences, I do think we certainly feel like we’re in more control of where we stand, versus (being in the American). While it was a competitive conference in a lot of ways, there was nobody committed to staying there. Everyone was always looking for something different. It was more of a matter of opportunity.”

Certainly, Benedict admits that UConn’s fan base and coaches are more comfortable and confident with where the athletic program currently sits.

“However,” he pointed out, “the landscape is changing in lots of different ways. You have to be cognizant of that, and try to manage it in the best way you possibly can, for whatever is best for your institution.” <-

I know I'm comfortable where we are as are most of the UCONN alums I know. So what does that last sentence mean? The only reason to complain would be football and they're have a banner recruiting season.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I know I'm comfortable where we are as are most of the UCONN alums I know. So what does that last sentence mean? The only reason to complain would be football and they're have a banner recruiting season.
I think it means what it says. Things are changing. Fast. We may be confortable now, but you can guarantee that things will look really different in, say, '24 when I believe our media contracts expire. I'm glad you're comfortable, but a lot more glad that the UConn admins aren't.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For the big schools to take over March Madness and exclude every one else, every one else would have to become irrelevant over time (the Big East, Gonzaga, Memphis, the remnants of the Big 12, Pac-12, ACC). I don't see that happening any time soon. Once the non-B1G and SEC schools become irrelevant due to significant budgetary differences then you could see a breakaway but until then, I don't see it. Right now, for instance, all eleven Big East schools are in the top-86 in basketball budget (there are 80 power conference basketball schools + Gonzaga + Memphis). Also, I think if they tried to break away, it would fail like the European Super League. The public backlash would be too significant.

Always remember: college basketball is a populist sport (like European soccer). College football is an elitist sport.

Reaction Score
Indeed. It won't happen for that reason. College football is just different. There is no Cinderella storyline (despite Cincy last year). The NCAA tournament is popular because of the Loyala-Chicago and St. Peters moments.

If a football super-conference emerges, I think it will just be for football. Other conferences will exist for Olympic sports even for those schools in the super football league. The rest of the D1 football schools will simply become an effective 1A level sport, possibly with a tournament of their own.
I agree especially if current P5 schools are further culled .
They already are separate for football plus get the lion share of the distribution from BB.
I don’t even think the power football teams breakaway. They have their cake and get to eat it too, just by becoming a somewhat autonomous branch of the NCAA
These schools are also over represented in minor sport championships that are financed by men’s basketball . Those schools are scammers .
I agree with Huggy in theory the 350 men’s basketball schools are the ones being currently taken advantage of . Maybe they should breakaway and distribute all the money among themselves so they would have a competitive advantage. Getting a million per unit makes BB a lot more attractive and viable.
The idea of s feasible tourney from a group as small as the p 2, 3,4 ,5 is insane . Half the schools in that group haven’t had viable BB teams in decades .
Plus almost every state that has P football team has one or more competitive basketball teams who live for the tournament.
Ie Ohio , has , Dayton , Xavier , and Cinncy
plus a bunch more .

Reaction Score
Unless we believe that UConn can be a successful football school, while also believing that UNC, NCS, and Duke will remain in the ACC, do you think we might be better off staying in the BE?
Yes, yes, yes. Do not leave the Big East again to accommodate a lousy football program.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, yes, yes. Do not leave the Big East again to accommodate a lousy football program.
Is it OK if we leave the big east in order to make more than $4 million a year in media money? Because given that the Big Ten in the SEC are going to be distributing $100 million a year to each school, it seems like that might be a good idea.

Reaction Score
Is it OK if we leave the big east in order to make more than $4 million a year in media money? Because given that the Big Ten in the SEC are going to be distributing $100 million a year to each school, it seems like that might be a good idea.
yeah in order for the ACC GOR to dissolve it appears 8 teams need to leave so lets say: ND, UNC, UVA, GTech to the B1G and Clemson, FSU, Miami, VTech to the SEC.

a 10 team conference of Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville, Duke, Wake, NC St, Memphis, UConn, Temple is earning more than $4 million per year. add the army navy rivalry if you want. plus, the BE contract is almost up. Maybe espn outbids fox next time around and wants to add them as olympic only members. that's a 20 or 22 team semi-super-conference of our own. i bet that it would earn 15-20 million per year per school.

CL82

Reaction Score
yeah in order for the ACC GOR to dissolve it appears 8 teams need to leave so lets say: ND, UNC, UVA, GTech to the B1G and Clemson, FSU, Miami, VTech to the SEC.

a 10 team conference of Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville, Duke, Wake, NC St, Memphis, UConn, Temple is earning more than $4 million per year. add the army navy rivalry if you want. plus, the BE contract is almost up. Maybe espn outbids fox next time around and wants to add them as olympic only members. that's a 20 or 22 team semi-super-conference of our own. i bet that it would earn 15-20 million per year per school.
Maybe, but it seems far more reasonable and logical that the ACC would backfill with whatever teams it wanted out of the Big East rather than the other way around.

Reaction Score
It comes down to finances. UConn is ok where it is now, but it is essentially running an operating deficit of $40M.

Acc paid each member $36M last year. UConn can reduce institutional support substantially with that move. President, BoT, AD and the governors office would not be able to explain why the school didn’t move.

Reaction Score
It comes down to finances. UConn is ok where it is now, but it is essentially running an operating deficit of $40M.

Acc paid each member $36M last year. UConn can reduce institutional support substantially with that move. President, BoT, AD and the governors office would not be able to explain why the school didn’t move.
  • Penders is a loyal man but he is being paid well below his market rate (even after his new pay raise) and was nearly poached because of it
  • Cavanaugh just got a pay bump to avoid being poached
  • Kimani just got a pay bump to avoid being poached
  • The Athletic Department just clumsily raised basketball tickets to significantly higher prices to cover much of this I assume
  • All of this is occurring even before it becomes legal to pay players directly by the school which is the next big disruption coming down the pipeline
  • As you noted the AD deficit has been $40 million annually and it's been fine because student fees have filled the gap but it isn't sustainable
The university needs more money from athletics and whatever FOX gives in the new Big East TV deal isn't going to be enough.

Obviously you don't go to the ACC if it becomes the AAC but assuming only 4-5 schools leave (e.g. UNC, UVA, ND, FSU, Clemson), what is left behind would alleviate the AD financial woes and still be very appealing for MBB while being a significant upgrade for every other sport offered by UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
"According to the NCAA, Rutgers athletics received more university support during 2020-21 than any other public university in a major conference. Despite the support, the athletics division experienced the biggest operating losses yet over the past two years, amounting to $146 million."

Just by way of comparison

Reaction Score
"According to the NCAA, Rutgers athletics received more university support during 2020-21 than any other public university in a major conference. Despite the support, the athletics division experienced the biggest operating losses yet over the past two years, amounting to $146 million."

How is that even possible? Are they not full members yet? Losing 73 million a year, what’s the explanation?

Reaction Score

Rutgers is mismanaged and spent a lot of money on facility upgrades.

I don’t look at anyone else. UConn Athletics needs more revenue to continue to operate at a high level. The school isn’t going to give them any more support.

CL82

Reaction Score
How is that even possible? Are they not full members yet? Losing 73 million a year, what’s the explanation?
“Rutgers gonna Rutgers”

Reaction Score
Maybe, but it seems far more reasonable and logical that the ACC would backfill with whatever teams it wanted out of the Big East rather than the other way around.
oh absolutely

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom