How to fix the team | The Boneyard

How to fix the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. Time to Fix the Rotation

Sorry, but 11 people cannot play 10+ minutes/game and be in regular sub patterns. 2-way players only, please
**condolences to Sam Cassell(no D, play sparingly), Calhoun

2. Adams minutes --^ at expense of Gibbs. Much better defense/creativity. Dependent on how hot Gibbs is.

3. Frontcourt minute distribution - Facey/Enoch combo needs more minutes. Brimah brings less than nothing to offense if he's not dunking, and is a negative on-ball defender.

This should prove a boost to our defense(Adams/Enoch more minutes), rebounding(Brimah/Gibbs less minutes, Facey/Enoch/adams more), and offensive efficiency.

Oh, and it would help if Purvis would make layups.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1. Time to Fix the Rotation

Sorry, but 11 people cannot play 10+ minutes/game and be in regular sub patterns. 2-way players only, please
**condolences to Sam Cassell(no D, play sparingly), Calhoun

2. Adams minutes --^ at expense of Gibbs. Much better defense/creativity. Dependent on how hot Gibbs is.

3. Frontcourt minute distribution - Facey/Enoch combo needs more minutes. Brimah brings less than nothing to offense if he's not dunking, and is a negative on-ball defender.

This should prove a boost to our defense(Adams/Enoch more minutes), rebounding(Brimah/Gibbs less minutes), and offensive efficiency.

Oh, and it would help if Purvis would make layups.
The starting line up stays the same. Off the bench Adams facey Enoch and Omar

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
If Gibbs is making shots he can stay in, other than that it should be all Jalen all the time.

Reaction Score
Strongly agreed on shortening the rotation. We need:

Gibbs - 28 mpg
Adams - 27 mpg
Purvis - 28 mpg
Hamilton - 35 mpg
Miller - 30 mpg
Brimah - 22 mpg
Facey - 18 mpg
Enoch - 8 mpg
Cassell/Calhoun - 4 mpg total
Nolan - Tyler Olander towel-waver

Yes, that means going small a fair amount.

Reaction Score
People giving up on Sterling Gibbs is laughable. Is this the only game you've seen the guy play in 4 years? please, get a life people. He's a player, those who throw him out to pasture will eat tons of crow this year, TONS.

Reaction Score
Really, the only players that should be handing out water are Calhoun, Nolan and Foxen. Everyone else is worth investing in.

Reaction Score
I like that Ollie is giving lots of minutes to different players. Come the end of the year it will pay off in confidence and trust between the players.

Reaction Score
People giving up on Sterling Gibbs is laughable. Is this the only game you've seen the guy play in 4 years? please, get a life people. He's a player, those who throw him out to pasture will eat tons of crow this year, TONS.
He had a rough pair of games, but statistics essentially guarantees he will come around.

I do like the idea floating around of him playing off the ball with Jalen being primary ball handler. Gibbs isn't doing anything PG-wise that Jalen can't.

Reaction Score
I like that Ollie is giving lots of minutes to different players. Come the end of the year it will pay off in confidence and trust between the players.
too bad we might not even make it to the tournament if we lose every big game we play because we want to share minutes with players that have no business playing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We need better passing and more teamwork, like how the UConn women's team plays. They play better fundamental basketball. They and Geno could give the men's team some lessons.

Reaction Score

Have watched him every game. Not sure it was worth the "no shows" against SU and the Zags. So here's the challenge: the next four games are Sacred Heart, Maryland, Ohio State and Central Connecticut if he shows up big for the second and third of those contests, then, yes, "He's a player". If he shows up big for games one and four but fails to play well against the Terps and Bucks, then let's stop defending him.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Adams should start. Gibbs and Purvis are shooting guards who can pass a bit.
Adams has several different speeds and can slow down his pace waiting for something to develop. Gibbs and Purvis have tendency to play out of control. A team can handle one but not two at time.
Enoch has to be given minutes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think a Gibbs/Adams backcourt could be deadly. Start Purvis but bring in Adams with the first sub. The minutes have to come from somewhere. I think Sam and Omar.

Reaction Score
I think a Gibbs/Adams backcourt could be deadly. Start Purvis but bring in Adams with the first sub. The minutes have to come from somewhere. I think Sam and Omar.
Sam and Omar are not good enough to play top 75 teams. They just simply arent, and they should not get more than 4 minutes each. Purvis Jalen and Gibbs will need to suck it up and play 30ish minutes every game, which isnt even that much for them

Reaction Score
The starting line up stays the same. Off the bench Adams facey Enoch and Omar
No Omar please his time has past. He brings almost nothing to the team except for some rebounding at the guard/forward position. I rather see SAM I AM but he needs to be on a tight leash when he tries those fades. He can definitely dribble and has some good pt. guard skills and definitely shoot if he has his feet set. The key is he needs to not force shots off balance like he did today.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same. Purvis hasn't improved as much as I thought he had. His inability to finish at the rim and his free throw shooting are troubling. Gibbs didn't have a great game today, but I feel much better overall with him offensively.

Defensively they all need a clinic. Obviously saw some major improvement over the final eight minutes or so today, but too much too little too late. And hard to tell whether exhaustion was just catching up to the Zags by that point.

Reaction Score
Adams starts....need a vocal leader at point on the court from opening tip. If you have 2-3 QB's you have none. Gibbs, Hamilton, Purvis are not vocal enough and none are true pg's. Gibbs or Purvis off the bench as 6th man....don't care which one.

Can say it's early....blah, blah, blah....margin for error not great. Our season comes down to MD, OH St & TX before end of Dec & G'town in Jan....we have 7 "real" non-conference games...we are 1-2 so far. MD is a reach and TX on the road so screw the no big deal attitude. AAC has Cincy, SMU & Tulsa as far as solid teams so unless we plan on winning all those games where exactly are all the quality wins coming from.

Sense of urgency started when we lost to Cuse, not with 10 mins left vs Gonzaga....we are not a mid-major program but the conference is, so either you impress in the non-conference schedule or win the conference tourney and who wants to "need" the AAC tourney like last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Purvis made his free throws today at least. Should of taken a couple more threes.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same. Purvis hasn't improved as much as I thought he had. His inability to finish at the rim and his free throw shooting are troubling. Gibbs didn't have a great game today, but I feel much better overall with him offensively.

Defensively they all need a clinic. Obviously saw some major improvement over the final eight minutes or so today, but too much too little too late. And hard to tell whether exhaustion was just catching up to the Zags by that point.
this is the best way to put it, they all need a clinic. Head scratching execution on defense schemes, randomly calling for switches, going under a screen one possession, then going over the screen the next. Piss poor close outs on shooters. just about the whole gamut

Reaction Score
Have watched him every game. Not sure it was worth the "no shows" against SU and the Zags. So here's the challenge: the next four games are Sacred Heart, Maryland, Ohio State and Central Connecticut if he shows up big for the second and third of those contests, then, yes, "He's a player". If he shows up big for games one and four but fails to play well against the Terps and Bucks, then let's stop defending him.

He played against Georgetown, Villanova and plenty of others last year and prior not his first rodeo but maybe yours.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Right, two games negate the last three years where he was a really good player.

Too many fans live and die with every game. Now against Sacred Heart Adams will probably go 1-5 from the field with a few turnovers and these guys will want to cut him from the team.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Right, two games negate the last three years where he was a really good player.

Too many fans live and die with every game. Now against Sacred Heart Adams will probably go 1-5 from the field with a few turnovers and these guys will want to cut him from the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom